Rotoworld.com Forums

Le'Veon Bell 2018 Outlook

afl5013
Message added by tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, 77georgec said:

Most of the people taking Bell’s side in this are doing so strictly because they drafted him and are upset. Bottom line, Pitt offered this idiot double what the top back is making. Bell has been suspended twice, season ending injuries twice and runs behind one of the best lines in football. Where in the hell is their credit for his success? You think its strictly Bell’s ability that allows him to stand in the backfield, writing his weak a** rap songs and sending out a few texts before he picks a hole to run through? As a Steeler fan, i can’t wait for this moron to leave. 

Breath of fresh air, meet thread.

1 minute ago, SharkSwimmer said:

If I were Bell, I would play this entire year on the tag.  At least I know I am getting another $14 million and change.  As Dez and AD and many others have seen, there is no guarantee that big payday is out there.

He’s going to get paid if healthy and moreso the less mileage he has on him. Virtual lock.

3 minutes ago, DekuTree said:

Contract is off the table. Deadline for that is passed and there's no way in hell they're signing him next offseason. It's either trade, or he sits out until he decides he wants his money. 

And is there any guarantee Bell just doesn't pull the same stunt on whatever team trades for him in a bid to hit free agency? I'm trying to gauge whether a trade is even realistic.

6 minutes ago, LongBalls said:

So is Bell angling for a trade, or a giant contract with the Steelers? Or does he just want to sit out the year and come back to the team of his choice as a free agent?

neither, he already has 1 foot out the door in PIT based on what his agent said earlier.  at this point it is doubtful he wants anything to do with PIT.  its like that bad marriage where you are stuck with each other waiting for the clock to run out so you can get a divorce

3 minutes ago, South Carolina said:

No, he said if Bell decided to play hardball he COULD sit out till November. But if he doesn't come back by November the Steelers can legally franchise him again.

but won't the tender but so high that there is no way in hell they'd do it?

2 minutes ago, lvsaint429 said:

I call BS... 14.5 MILLION for this year with a chance to negotiate a longer term deal isn’t enough? He’ll make over 4 million more than the next highest paid RB this year.  Seems pretty fair to me & I sure don’t feel sorry for him considering he’s one positive test away from a year off

Steelers already had a chance to negotiate a longer term deal with him when they franchise tagged him the first time.  I call BS on *your* argument.

If he’s missing game 1 and wants to “preserve his body”why not miss them all? Isn’t trading him the only way he plays this year? He can’t get more money or negotiate a contract right now, correct? Surely a team would give a first rounder for him, wouldn’t they? Hell the browns screw up first round picks every year. 

1 minute ago, bhawks489 said:

Wouldn't he still get paid if he's injured on the franchise tag?

The franchise tag salary is guaranteed for that season.  But then who is going to sign an injured back to the mega-deal Bell thinks he is getting next offseason?

Just now, LongBalls said:

And is there any guarantee Bell just doesn't pull the same stunt on whatever team trades for him in a bid to hit free agency? I'm trying to gauge whether a trade is even realistic.

can you even trade him without the tender signed?

3 minutes ago, 77georgec said:

Most of the people taking Bell’s side in this are doing so strictly because they drafted him and are upset. Bottom line, Pitt offered this idiot double what the top back is making. Bell has been suspended twice, season ending injuries twice and runs behind one of the best lines in football. Where in the hell is their credit for his success? You think its strictly Bell’s ability that allows him to stand in the backfield, writing his weak a** rap songs and sending out a few texts before he picks a hole to run through? As a Steeler fan, i can’t wait for this moron to leave. 

You my friend get it. And I just think it's hilarious the people who act like steelers offered bell a bag of peanuts for a contract.  

1 minute ago, 77georgec said:

Incorrect. I have no stock in Bell nor Connor. I'm not even a Steelers fan. I didn't even care about this situation until recently, when I decided to investigate the implications of his holdout and pending tag. His contract situation isn't fair and it's the Steelers fault. It's as simple as that.

4 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

If I were Bell, I would play this entire year on the tag.  At least I know I am getting another $14 million and change.  As Dez and AD and many others have seen, there is no guarantee that big payday is out there.

no offense to AD who an all time great, but there is a big difference between Bell looking for a big deal at age 27 and AD and Dez going out there looking when they are over 30.  these situations don't even compare

2 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

The franchise tag salary is guaranteed for that season.  But then who is going to sign an injured back to the mega-deal Bell thinks he is getting next offseason?

This is the part that people are failing to understand.

9 minutes ago, Panthor said:

can you even trade him without the tender signed?

Nope. They'd have to come to an agreement with another team (and you would assume Bell and his agent as well), then he'd have to come in and sign the Tag, then they could trade him. It'd be a convoluted process, and one that at this point you're not so sure the Steelers' front office would even want to deal with. He's not costing them money if he's not playing, and him being on another team doesn't help them one iota. 

Edit: And if memory serves me right, the Steelers are a team that is very adamant that offseason activities take place in the offseason. They're very inactive on the trade scene during seasons (see Martavis last year), so I find it incredibly doubtful that they go out and try to deal Bell to someone.

The burden is on Bell's shoulders now - he chooses to play, get his money, and put some tape out for potential suitors. Or he doesn't play for 10 weeks, does the absolute minimum necessary to reach free agency, takes a loss on money for one year, and moves on with his career next year. 

3 minutes ago, Panthor said:

neither, he already has 1 foot out the door in PIT based on what his agent said earlier.  at this point it is doubtful he wants anything to do with PIT.  its like that bad marriage where you are stuck with each other waiting for the clock to run out so you can get a divorce

but won't the tender but so high that there is no way in hell they'd do it?

I think at that point it would be the same tender because it wasn't used.

4 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

Wouldn't he still get paid if he's injured on the franchise tag?

Only for this year.  Steelers lowballed him @ $30 mil guaranteed before the season.  He'd make less than half that guaranteed if he got hurt playing on the franchise tag this season.

9 minutes ago, 77georgec said:

Nah. I traded my share today but I am pro labor. Pay him every dime. 

6 minutes ago, 77georgec said:

you gotta be kidding, did you even read the contract they offered him?  they basically offered him 10mil guaranteed, his franchise tag is worth 14mil.  he'd be losing 4mil right off the top.  add in that it is a 5 year contract, break it down he would have been making 2mil a year plus whatever the remaining 60mil of non guaranteed money would be distributed throughout the years.  the 70mil makes headlines but that offered pretty much sucked because there was no way in hell he was going to realize the majority of that money.

2 minutes ago, mulhollandvelvet said:

Nah. I traded my share today but I am pro labor. Pay him every dime. 

I don't get this mentality... The guy hasn't been the epitome of a great worker or team mate. For people like you where are the limits? 

I'd be very nervous if I drafted him in a money league. In a free ESPN League who cares? 

The truth is he'll be there. NOBODY is gonna give up $800,000+ per game if their intent is to make money in the first place. Especially as an aging RB with an always shortening shelf life. 

Its just a matter of when he comes back, but if you drafted him your pretty much screwed, so it seems.

39 minutes ago, seanismorris said:

I don’t think they’d be interested in a long term contract.  They have 3 young receivers to develop...

They’re also not contenders.  Maybe they’d take Bell on his franchise tag money.  But a long term contract?  Or giving the Steelers picks... I doubt it.

This isn’t like Mack who we can assume will play his entire contract at the highest level.  Bell has already beaten the odds, every year going forward is Russian roulette.

Normally I would agree with you, but we are forgetting about Andrew Luck.  Maybe not us as fantasy players or non Colt fans, but the organizer and Colts fans feel that Andrew Luck is this franchise.  Is he healthy, I don't know.  But they may feel the Colts are contenders in that division just by the Luck factor.  I don't know, just making convo.

• Sun Tzu locked and unlocked this topic
  • Sun Tzu locked this topic
  • Sun Tzu unlocked this topic

Archived