Sign in to follow this  
afl5013

Le'Veon Bell 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

8 minutes ago, South Carolina said:

Regardless he can't get this years money back and he'll be a year older. Not a wise decision to sit. 

he doesn't need his years back if the contract is high enough, where is this notion that 1 year older signifcantly lowers your contract coming from?  the guaranteed money difference between a 27 year old and 28 year old isn't going to be significant.  age is just a number, less wear and tear actually balances out being 1 year older if not trumps it.  the real issue at hand that determines if it is a wise or unwise to sit is whether or not his people have accurately projected his next contract.  they obviously think it is going to a big one, otherwise they would have just signed the damn tender but they obviously project a large contract with lots of guaranteed money.  so he chooses to sit out.  seems more like everyone is confusing this with a contract hold out.  it isn't.  he is basically a restricted FA right now except he can't sign with anyone else, he is in purgatory.  he has zero leverage and power to control anything, his only card to play is to sit. 

like i said, it is plenty wise to sit if he truly think he can get Gurley money next year.  that is 3x what he is going to make this year.  you think it is wise to put 3x money at risk. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Right now the texans should be on the phone with the steelers . . . .time to make lamar a backup:lol:

Redskins should be on hold

1 minute ago, South Carolina said:

Understood. But the Steelers already made it clear. HE'S NOT GETTING A NEW DEAL. So suck it up, work your butt off, bank 16 bills and have a great year. 

...why?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Iron-cock said:

I believe he can sign all the way up until Saturday and still get paid for week 1. 

If he still wanted to get paid all of his game checks and avoid work week 1, signing at the last second makes sense. 

I’ve been wondering what happens week 10...

Can he show up, sign his tag, and have the Steelers fail his physical.  So, the team doesn’t have to pay him.  I assume at that point he becomes a FA, but maybe not...

Theoretically the Steelers could tag him again next year...  It would probably go to arbitration, which would be a real mess.

Why my thought went through my mind was because of the squirrelly stuff that went on with the Ravens this offseason.  They signed a WR then failed him, and he got a job elsewhere.

What Bell fails to realize is he plays behind one of if not the top offensive line in football that allows him to wait and find a place to run just as they allow Big Ben to hold the ball forever to make a play, I don't think he will be as much of a weapon on any other team except Dallas, He will be flat on his a** behind the line of scrimmage more times than not playing for another team.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Robrain said:

He's already made $16 million (not even counting endorsement money) so he is quite probably set for life.

People have been throwing that $16mil around and I thought no way that was true. Sure enough, only $16 mil not including this season if he were to play all year.

That is INSANE! The Steelers should have locked him up two years ago. He was basically playing for nothing before the first tag. I guess it makes sense if he thinks he can get a deal like Gurley's gtd money then maybe his plan is to report at the last possible minute, sign, and not even play for the rest of the year (take fines?). If I were him, I'd feel like I was owed a LOT of money.

13 minutes ago, South Carolina said:

He could get hurt anytime. So why come back at all? MONEY 

you aren't getting it, he assumes all the risk if he comes back and 3x what he is leaving on the table is a hell of a lot to risk. if it were less money then yeah he is dumb for sitting, but his people are projecting the jackpot contract for him that means 3x, 4x, or whatever he is going to leave on the table this year.  yes he will never get the year back, yes he will never get the money back, but does it matter if he ends up with a contract that guarantees that big of a pay day?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

The franchise tag salary is guaranteed for that season.  But then who is going to sign an injured back to the mega-deal Bell thinks he is getting next offseason?

You think no team would sign one  the best running backs long term? (Who is only 27)

depends on the injury I guess but i can't see a team passing on him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dashoe said:

Right now the texans should be on the phone with the steelers . . . .time to make lamar a backup:lol:

Redskins should be on hold

I can see it.  Theoretically the Texans could contend, but they might be gun shy after the Brock fiasco...

I could see them assuming Bell’s contact + something week 10 if they were in the hunt.  Giving Bell a big contract, I doubt it.

I’m with you 100% on Millar being a backup.  It’s his proper place.

2 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

What Bell fails to realize is he plays behind one of if not the top offensive line in football that allows him to wait and find a place to run just as they allow Big Ben to hold the ball forever to make a play, I don't think he will be as much of a weapon on any other team except Dallas, He will be flat on his a** behind the line of scrimmage more times than not playing for another team.

Agree plus the fact that Antonio Brown is such a threat he is in literally the dream offense for a RB.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Panthor said:

you aren't getting it, he assumes all the risk if he comes back and 3x what he is leaving on the table is a hell of a lot to risk. if it were less money then yeah he is dumb for sitting, but his people are projecting the jackpot contract for him that means 3x, 4x, or whatever he is going to leave on the table this year.  yes he will never get the year back, yes he will never get the money back, but does it matter if he ends up with a contract that guarantees that big of a pay day?

Once again your ASSUMING that teams will be lining up to make him the highest paid RB in history.

Who?? 

2 minutes ago, Panthor said:

Looks like you are taking over the night shift  as I was making the same points for the day shift :lol:

Looking like he changed his mind since this tweet

Edited by ColoWrex
+
  • Thanks 1

Just now, South Carolina said:

Once again your ASSUMING that teams will be lining up to make him the highest paid RB in history.

Who?? 

not thats much of a stretch because revs have been increasing for the NFL so usually every year a skills player  will become the new highest paid in their position

1 minute ago, South Carolina said:

Who?? 

why don't you read more carefully.  i'm not ASSUMING anything.  i said that is what his people are projecting.  you can argue whether he will get that contract, but his people obviously believe he will.  otherwise he would have signed his tender already.  and the market shows he should be able to get it.

3 minutes ago, dashoe said:

Looks like you are taking over the night shift  as I was making the same points for the day shift :lol:

i was the first to say i think he should take the money and play but i understand his thought process and i can respect his decision.  it is appalling to me how so many in the thread are missing the point

Just now, dashoe said:

not thats much of a stretch because revs have been increasing for the NFL so usually every year a skills player  will become the new highest paid in their position

He's great, I get it. But I honestly don't see anyone willing to spend that on an older RB. 

It is very hard for the steelers to negotiate a contact at this stage in bell's situation when they are constantly focusing on how many games he will miss every year.  It's hard to think long term for leveon bell when he's been so unreliable in the short term.  Leveon played 5 years and 4 of them we were left wondering whether he would play or not, either due to suspension, injury, or holdout. If you count this year it would be 5 out 6 years that he's been questionable to play.  One of those years he was originally suspended and had it appealed and ended up playing all 16 I believe. However negotiating contracts is never easy with a player with so many problems, its literally every year.

Edited by GodGivenTalent

3 minutes ago, RoboFroogs said:

People have been throwing that $16mil around and I thought no way that was true. Sure enough, only $16 mil not including this season if he were to play all year.

That is INSANE! The Steelers should have locked him up two years ago. He was basically playing for nothing before the first tag. I guess it makes sense if he thinks he can get a deal like Gurley's gtd money then maybe his plan is to report at the last possible minute, sign, and not even play for the rest of the year (take fines?). If I were him, I'd feel like I was owed a LOT of money.

Back to back, violating the league's substance abuse policy doesn’t get you big contracts..  The Steelers played it correctly.

Bell’s best shot of getting huge guaranteed money was with the Steelers, he burned that bridge.  Holding out and being ineffective the first two games in 2017, burned that bridge.  It doesn’t really matter how good he was after that.  What Bell was offered was what he was worth to the organization.  There’s a very good chance Bell’s worth less to someone else...

7 minutes ago, ColoWrex said:

Looking like he changed his mind since this tweet

WTF?? You have the NFL fantasy world and NFL as a whole going crazy for nothing LMAO

Edited by nonstopfan
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, RoboFroogs said:

The reality is, he has made 16M but he probably banked 8M after taxes.  Then he had to pay for his agent, house, cars, etc.  He probably has 3-5M in the bank...maybe. 

That is why I don’t think he’ll be gung ho about missing games at nearly 1M per week.  It’s a bad situation but if I were him I would pay for a solid insurance policy and sign before week 1. 

Edited by Iron-cock