BackwardsKRay

Mike McCarthy 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Message added by tonycpsu

Felt the Packers should have beaten the Rams, Patriots, and Seahawks. 

Could have been 7-2-1 right now with tons of confidence. 

• Like 2

That's what happens with poor coaching , underachievement.  I don't blame the Rams loss on him though, that's on Montgomery's selfishness.

• Like 1

Couldn’t believe he punted on 4th and 2. Aaron freaking Rodgers is on your team, and you don’t go for it? He deserves to be fired. I was yelling at the TV when he made that decision, and I’m not even a Packers fan lol.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, kraftwrk_5 said:

Couldn’t believe he punted on 4th and 2. Aaron freaking Rodgers is on your team, and you don’t go for it? He deserves to be fired. I was yelling at the TV when he made that decision, and I’m not even a Packers fan lol.

Played it so safe he gave control of the game to the Seahwaks at home.

If he really believed in his defense so much he should have gone for it and even if they don't get it they could potentially hold them to a field goal giving Rodgers another chance.

Not challenging the Lockette catch pretty much showed McCarthy is too big of a puss to be head coach.

THis game showed exactly why Aaron Rodgers is frustrated with the play calling. I seriously think this might be the yr MM gets fired. And fire joe philbin too ! 

The packers organization is living in the past. The biggest reason why it’s holdibg them back. They finally have a run game and in the second half they completely abandoned it. 

4 minutes ago, Sticky2 said:

Played it so safe he gave control of the game to the Seahwaks at home.

If he really believed in his defense so much he should have gone for it and even if they don't get it they could potentially hold them to a field goal giving Rodgers another chance.

Not challenging the Lockette catch pretty much showed McCarthy is too big of a puss to be head coach.

Yup. He’s way too conservative. With only one timeout, you have to go for it there. Have to. As soon as he did that, I knew the Packers weren’t getting the ball back. Just like when he kept kicking field goals against the Seahawks in the playoffs a few years ago from the 1-foot line. It’s maddening to think about how many shots at a title he’s potentially cost Rodgers over the years.

• Like 1

You're giving the ball to a team with Russell Wilson behind the wheel who has just come from behind to take the lead. And there's 4 mins with 1 timeout left. Pretty much one first down and you're done. If you're lucky, 1 min left in the game but hard to stop Wilson in the 4th in Seattle. 

Edited by Mackdaddy21

1 hour ago, psygolf said:

Should be hired by the Browns if it happens.

Are you saying this should happen or will happen?

Personally, I think Cleveland's best course of action is a young offensive mind to come in and grow with Mayfield, not a retread coach who was let go for his own poor performance...

I'll never understand why so many teams are so interested in failed coaches. "Hey, you failed here and here, but will you come to my team now and bring the same attributes and scheme that caused you to fail over there? Pretty please?!"

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Godfather131 said:

Personally, I think Cleveland's best course of action is a young offensive mind to come in and grow with Mayfield, not a retread coach who was let go for his own poor performance...

I'll never understand why so many teams are so interested in failed coaches. "Hey, you failed here and here, but will you come to my team now and bring the same attributes and scheme that caused you to fail over there? Pretty please?!"

Especially in a sport that changes so frequently and requires great teams to stay on the cutting edge. 

As a Packer fan I hope McCarthy gets canned. The team's struggles are not all his fault, but enough of them are. He's been squandering the potential of a team led by a generational QB for years now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, '71 Bucks said:

Especially in a sport that changes so frequently and requires great teams to stay on the cutting edge. 

As a Packer fan I hope McCarthy gets canned. The team's struggles are not all his fault, but enough of them are. He's been squandering the potential of a team led by a generational QB for years now.

I agree. You never should have lost that game last night. 

7 hours ago, Tenner said:

Felt the Packers should have beaten the Rams, Patriots, and Seahawks. 

Could have been 7-2-1 right now with tons of confidence. 

Did you forget they should have lost to Chicago?

• Like 1

Long time Packer fan here and I always chuckle every time we lose a game and the talk of the town is "fire McCarthy", kinda feel bad for the guy. 

That being said I don't think McCarthy is a "bad" coach.  I think he's below average but not garbage like people always say.  That's what worries me most about a firing of him.  It's quite possible that we wind up with someone even worse, McVay's and Bellichek's don't just grow on trees.  Replacing McCarthy doesn't mean we'll wind up with something better, it's quite possible it would get worse.  McCarthy was there for the super-bowl, he was there for the 15-1 season, he's been there while the Pack dominated the NFC north for a long run.  It's hard when you are constantly winning and getting low draft picks to keep your roster talented enough to keep on winning.  Bellichek is the only coach that's made it work.  It's designed that way. 

Even the beloved McVay right now still has some real trials to over-come as he has to start dealing with cap-space and low draft picks over the next several years.  Gurley got paid, he's going to have to pay Goff soon.  It's a lot harder to win when you can't just sign every single elite FA on the market to your team.

30 minutes ago, '71 Bucks said:

Blame the GM.

3 minutes ago, Krambone said:

Did you forget they should have lost to Chicago?

But they should have beaten the Vikings so it's a wash.

37 minutes ago, Godfather131 said:

"Failed coach"...I guess that means that there could be 30 more HC's that do not meet your bar.

29 minutes ago, psygolf said:

"Failed coach"...I guess that means that there could be 30 more HC's that do not meet your bar.

Don't put words in my mouth. I never said that whoever doesn't make it to the Superbowl is a failed coach that doesn't "meet my bar".

McCarthy has been an underachieving coach for years. I've had the opinion of him being a poor coach for years now and that's reflected on him being on a "hot seat" throughout the past couple seasons. It just so happens that this year, that seat is a bit "hotter". My point is that, why would a team want to hire a coach who underachieved with his previous employer for so long? He will potentially be let go from Green Bay for his shortcomings as a head coach for the past few years. I guess I just don't understand why a new team would want to take that on?

smh

Edited by Godfather131
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, psygolf said:

Should be hired by the Browns if it happens.

Thanks, but no.

1 minute ago, TTo34 said:

Thanks, but no.

How would Dorsey's phone call go?

"Hey Mike, I know you were constantly on hot seat and criticized for underachieving with a generational QB. You failed in Green Bay, but we want you in Cleveland! Come aboard? Please?"

Lol at recycled coaches.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, psygolf said:

Blame the GM.

Well they got a new one of those this past year, too. Like I said, it's not all on McCarthy, but what is he bringing to the table? Nothing at this point. And anything positive he may do behind closed doors is wiped out by his inept play-calling and in-game coaching. 

1 hour ago, Kyle87 said:

Long time Packer fan here and I always chuckle every time we lose a game and the talk of the town is "fire McCarthy", kinda feel bad for the guy. 

That being said I don't think McCarthy is a "bad" coach.  I think he's below average but not garbage like people always say.  That's what worries me most about a firing of him.  It's quite possible that we wind up with someone even worse, McVay's and Bellichek's don't just grow on trees.  Replacing McCarthy doesn't mean we'll wind up with something better, it's quite possible it would get worse.  McCarthy was there for the super-bowl, he was there for the 15-1 season, he's been there while the Pack dominated the NFC north for a long run.  It's hard when you are constantly winning and getting low draft picks to keep your roster talented enough to keep on winning.  Bellichek is the only coach that's made it work.  It's designed that way. 

Even the beloved McVay right now still has some real trials to over-come as he has to start dealing with cap-space and low draft picks over the next several years.  Gurley got paid, he's going to have to pay Goff soon.  It's a lot harder to win when you can't just sign every single elite FA on the market to your team.

I feel like it was this same idea that kept Capers employed a year or two too long. The roster is one thing, but McCarthy does nothing to elevate his guys or evolve his play calling. They should be better with a prime Aaron Rodgers, and that's been true for a couple years now. 

• Like 1