BackwardsKRay

Mike McCarthy 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Message added by tonycpsu

20 minutes ago, griffin727 said:

We'll look back and probably point to McCarthy as why Rodgers will likely end his career with only 1 ring.

Yeah, the GM also could have made some better moves.

Edited by Slimzy17

5 minutes ago, oresteszero said:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY AARON RODGERS 

Oh wow, I had no idea. What a great birthday present LOL!

7 minutes ago, yossarian said:

Isn't there a non-boob coach anywhere they can get to coach that team?

It is quite surprising in a billion dollar industry how few coaches actually know what they're doing. And most of those don't sit at home waiting for the phone to ring.

• Like 2

Candidates include:

an offensive coordinator from a top 4 playoff team

probably Josh Mcdaniels

or a wildcard college coach

13 minutes ago, sSektor said:

Candidates include:

an offensive coordinator from a top 4 playoff team

probably Josh Mcdaniels

or a wildcard college coach

Or Mike Shanahan?

1 minute ago, Nguvocity said:

Or Mike Shanahan?

He's been out of the NFL since 2013 for a reason. Packers have to go with an innovative young head coach not the same bang your head against a brick wall routine.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Funny thing is McCarthy probably won't be unemployed for long. After all look at his "stats"! The playoff appearances, winning percentage, etc. Literally difficult for the more incompetent franchises in the league to ignore.

Cardinals & Jets come to mind...

16 minutes ago, Red Dog said:

Can't think of a better candidate.

grd04_0.jpg

A one-trick poser?

They just fired the very same thing.

He might be back in the playoffs before the Packers.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him in Atlanta next year.  I think Dan Quinn gets canned and I'm sure McCarthy will get along better with Ryan.

17 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

It is quite surprising in a billion dollar industry how few coaches actually know what they're doing. And most of those don't sit at home waiting for the phone to ring.

thist x1000. i'm always surprised how there seems to be like...15 older guys who just get recycled around the league from coordinator position to head coach to fired back to coordinator position over and over and over and over. you'd think more owners would get tired of bringing in boring, failed known quantities and try to strike out for younger more innovative coaches. it's worked well for the Rams and (mostly, if you're not a Howard owner) the Bears. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, yossarian said:

thist x1000. i'm always surprised how there seems to be like...15 older guys who just get recycled around the league from coordinator position to head coach to fired back to coordinator position over and over and over and over. you'd think more owners would get tired of bringing in boring, failed known quantities and try to strike out for younger more innovative coaches. it's worked well for the Rams and (mostly, if you're not a Howard owner) the Bears. 

Pretty much. You have who is considered by some the greatest QB of all time on your team and still can't manage to play .500 ball, and yet teams somehow think he might be a good coach. 

Fox was a bad coach who benefitted from having Manning. 

McCarthy was a bad coach who benefitted from having Rodgers. 

If teams don't see that it's silly. 

This has been coming for a long time.  However, making the change now is not going to suddenly make the Packers a contender.  They continue to be plagued by injuries, poor line play, and an inconsistent defense.  In-season firings are nothing more than a PR move.  It would have been better to stick with McCarthy until the end of the season than to replace him with Philbin.

Frankly, regardless of who they bring in next year, this roster needs to be blown up.

Edited by mbroo5880i

2 hours ago, psygolf said:

He might be back in the playoffs before the Packers.

They have a pretty good roster, lots of young talent in the skill positions, and no huge free agent problems the next couple years.  I think they can make the playoffs next year.

Better playcalling would have won them at least 3 or 4 games this season that they shouldn't have lost, and we'd be viewing this team very differently right now.

Edited by eg4190

Browns are going to pick him up because it is the Browns and that is what they do.

54 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

This has been coming for a long time.  However, making the change now is not going to suddenly make the Packers a contender.  They continue to be plagued by injuries, poor line play, and an inconsistent defense.  In-season firings are nothing more than a PR move.  It would have been better to stick with McCarthy until the end of the season than to replace him with Philbin.

Frankly, regardless of who they bring in next year, this roster needs to be blown up.

No it doesnt. A lot of the youth is still delevopling.  Rodgers, Mathews, Cobb, T. Williams and the TEs are the only oldies.

1 hour ago, yossarian said:

The rams are an outlier. .  the coaching system they run is not the norm and it won't work with a QB like Rodgers.  The Rams coaches actually coach on the fireld during the game and on every play.  Mcvay calls every single play and audible not Goff. You won't do that with Rodgers.  That will work with young QB's but vets like Rodgers,ben-Rivers have control over how the offense is run after the they get the play.

2018 “outlook”?

Bleak.

I came here looking for 5 pages of funny memes, I'm leaving disappointed. 

30 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Browns are going to pick him up because it is the Browns and that is what they do.

I think logically  the Browns SHOULD take someone who can relate to baker and develop him. . not sure mcarthy is that guy however I think Dorsey and the owner may view him as a 'winner" who can build a high flying offense. . .:o