Sign in to follow this  
KingJoffrey

Noah Syndergaard 2019 Outlook

I need about 2 solid months of this type of production out of this guy.

this from the end of May.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/the-missing-slider-that-has-plagued-noah-syndergaards-season-173006405.html

“I don’t know what happened to having one of the best sliders in the game,” Syndergaard told Yahoo Sports, “to now having zero confidence in throwing it.”

Mets pitching coach Dave Eiland feels Syndergaard is focused too much on the velocity, and that negative attention affects how he throws the pitch.

Eiland said Syndergaard often throws quality sliders in bullpen sessions, but it does not carry over into games.

“He’s infatuated because it’s not 95. It’s 88, 89. I don’t care how hard it is, I want shape of it and location of it. That’s the most important thing,” Eiland said Wednesday afternoon. “His thoughts on it are very negative. If you always have a negative thought on something, it’s not going to be very good.”

Without a feel for the pitch, and with opponents hitting it well, Syndergaard is now throwing it just 13.1 percent of the time, per BrooksBaseball.net.

He actually now uses his change-up more.

Mets manager Mickey Callaway, a former pitching coach with the Indians, described Syndergaard’s new slider as “bigger and slower.” There is a significant difference in the vertical movement compared to last year, per BrooksBaseball.net.

Callaway noted that the lack of a slider is hindering Syndergaard’s success.

“It’s played a big role,” Callaway said Tuesday. “When you have your best weapon taken away from you, your confidence can waver a little bit. He’s searching for that, he’s trying to get it back. He will eventually, but until then, you have to understand he has three other weapons that are pretty good in his curveball, his change-up and his fastball.”

his slider velocity last season was 91-93+. this season it's 87-89ish.

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/velo.php?player=592789&b_hand=-1&gFilt=&pFilt=FA|SI|FC|CU|SL|CS|KN|CH|FS|SB&time=game&minmax=ci&var=mph&s_type=2&startDate=03/30/2007&endDate=06/12/2019

is MLB using different type of balls this season from last season?

I see this tweet, not sure if this is what is happening.

if Syndergaard doesn't get his slider back I would imagine he wont be what he was.

Corbin is having the same issue with his slider.  

Logan Allen mentioned the same thing in Spring Training and in AAA.  There probably is something to it.

Did anybody happen to see his injury tonight? They're calling it a strain already. 

I would have been better off skipping my 3rd round pick for what Noah has done to my team

I swear, never count on a guy who thinks his hair has powers!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CraftyRighty said:

I would have been better off skipping my 3rd round pick for what Noah has done to my team

I swear, never count on a guy who thinks his hair has powers!

couldn't agree more. This guy has been a disaster.

This is the "Thor" he's becoming 

THOR.jpeg

Edited by Cdub2k
  • Haha 2

[...] Anyone find out info on his mri yesterday?

Edited by tonycpsu

6 hours ago, BostonCajun said:

[...] Anyone find out info on his mri yesterday?

Supposedly a 'very mild' strain....I think he misses 2 weeks

• Thanks 1

Noah Syndergaard has been diagnosed with a low-grade right hamstring strain.

Syndergaard was walking without a limp Monday and was slated to play catch and do agility drills. It sounds like he'll probably miss just the one start and return possibly when first eligible on June 26. Wilmer Font is the likeliest candidate to start in Syndergaard's place on Thursday in Chicago versus the Cubs.

----

May only miss one start.

• Like 1

Flash-forward 10 days: "Mets announce Noah Syndergaard has undergone an amputation of his right leg"

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Flash-forward 13 days: "Mets announce they amputated the wrong leg"

Flash-forward 13 days - Mets announce he really had an arm injury 

on topic this this might be wishful thinking but I hope if he really only misses one start the 10 day break makes something click and he turns back into a god on the mound. 

Edited by ty5592
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, BRYZZO said:

Is there any hope for a rebound once he comes back from the DL? 

Goodness yes. His stuff is absurd and command as well. Hopefully deGrom can show him whatever he just figured out with his own slider, because that is about the only lacking ingredient from him going full-force ace imo.

• Like 2

Anyone see or hear any news on his expected return? He’s eligible on Wednesday but I haven’t seen any info. 

2 hours ago, BostonCajun said:

Anyone see or hear any news on his expected return? He’s eligible on Wednesday but I haven’t seen any info. 

He threw a bullpen on Saturday, and is expected to be activated and starting on Wednesday vs. the Phillies

• Thanks 2

Noah Syndergaard (hamstring) will make a rehab start with Short-Season Brooklyn on Tuesday.

If the outing goes off without a hitch, he should rejoin the Mets' rotation on Sunday against the Braves. Syndergaard is just over a week removed from suffering a low grade right hamstring strain.

On 6/22/2019 at 12:25 PM, ST. STEVEN said:

Goodness yes. His stuff is absurd and command as well. Hopefully deGrom can show him whatever he just figured out with his own slider, because that is about the only lacking ingredient from him going full-force ace imo.

Hopefully he’s back this week and he’d have his problems figured out after his rehab start tomorrow. Considering I drafted him before Buehler, he has not been a good investment for me so far This year; hopefully that changes  

Heres the optimist take:

Mets have fired their pitching coaches. The main thing missing with Noah this year was his slider. DeGrom's slider looked the best its looked all season in his last start. Maybe the new pitching coaches will tell Syndergaard to tweak somethings as well and he will come out firing. They are giving him this minor league start to make the adjustments. Thor maybe returning.

• Like 4