Dugout Legend

Gregory Polanco 2019 Outlook

He's going to miss a few months or so to start the season. So he'll most likely be a 2nd half guy. Many issues with him, Shoulder and Labrum surgeries. I am thinking he's more of a 2020 player - back to full-time and hopefully fully healthy by then. In Dynasty leagues I'd be looking to acquire him on the cheaps, stash on DL until he comes back, gives a boost to a 2nd half run for any fantasy team. He'll be 28 in 2020 season.

He started slow, really slow in 2018 but then went on a tear in June and July. 

Another season of injury issues.

I'm hoping he gets healthy again, fixes the injury issues and in 2nd half of 2019 re-establishes high-end value.

He's still a player I am targeting to own.

Shoulder and Labrum issues are no bueno for me.  He's pretty worthless when he can't hit for power and he's dealing with some serious power sapping ones. Coming out guns a blazing in the 2nd half this year seems like a really optimistic outcome. Need to see it before i'd invent anything but a 2nd half WW pick up.

Take some cheap shots in dynasty, but he's not exactly a guy with a great track record of health even before this.

• Like 1

In redrafts I'm completely ignoring Polanco on draft day. Good chance he ends up on lots of waiver wires, and even when he comes back there's no telling what kind of power he'll have, if any, after serious shoulder surgery.

Even in  keeper leagues I'll be avoiding him the plague. 

Per RW, Polanco is getting close to minor league action.

Anything to see here in the early part of the season?

Could heal a lot sooner than expected. I like the sound of his progress and got him in a dynasty draft this offseason on the cheap.

People seem to have forgotten about him.

Yeah seems like his draft price was for 2/3 of a season, but looks like he will only miss a few weeks.  His per game projections are pretty valuable.

Steamer apples to apples 600 PA projections are .256 22 HR, 12 SB, 73 runs and 79 RBIs.  That is a similar steamer 600 line as David Dahl, for comparison (.270/ 23/ 11 /76 /84).  A healthy Polanco is probably a top 150ish player in preseason ranks.  Good floor value in the 200s when others are reaching for upside.  

Gregory Polanco (shoulder) is playing seven innings in extending spring training games.

Polanco is making "good progress," according to MLB.com's Adam Berry. He's recovering from shoulder surgery, and while there's some work to be done, he's ahead of schedule in his rehab right now. The dynamic 27-year-old could be back as an everyday outfielder for the Pirates before May, though there are no guarantees at this point.

can't wait to get this guy into my outfield mix. seemed like a nice value pick in drafts.

11 hours ago, Hockey_Baseball said:

can't wait to get this guy into my outfield mix. seemed like a nice value pick in drafts.

He was better than Springer in every category except runs last season in 80 fewer ABs. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hockey_Baseball said:

I'd suggest tempering your expectations here. The track record for players coming back after labrum surgery isn't all that great. Expect some time for the power to reappear, not to mention his timing. I expect to see him being cast to the waiver wires in many leagues by disappointed, impatient owners after his first 4-6 weeks back.

Edited by meh2
  • Like 2

[Removed Cool Story] I loved the risk where I got him, but it is very true that hitters coming off shoulder surgery can take some time to get their power back.  I know people mentioned this with Conforto last year, and whether it was coincidence or not, he struggled for some time when he first got back.  I'm curious to see if that applies here with Polanco.

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story

Does anyone have any insider or other info from the Pirates on how his extended games are going? 

Now, the good news: Gregory Polanco, recovering from shoulder surgery, and Elias Diaz, battling back from a virus, continue to make strides. Tomczyk said Polanco has seen action in back-to-back games with the extended group in Florida, and he's nearing a full nine innings of work, currently playing seven innings at a time.

"He's been throwing at some appropriate distances that he needs to throw and show to himself and to the staff that he's ready for Major League competition," Tomczyk said of Polanco. "If he continues to head on the path that he is, we may be announcing soon that he could begin a rehab assignment. But we're not there yet."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, firchf1 said:

If he continues to head on the path that he is, we may be announcing soon that he could begin a rehab assignment. But we're not there yet."

They're there now:

Gregory Polanco (shoulder) will begin a rehab assignment with Single-A Bradenton on Sunday.

Advice: The outfielder underwent surgery to repair a torn labrum in his left shoulder in September and is finally nearing a return to game action. Barring any setbacks he could be activated from the injured list in a couple of weeks. He hit .254 with 23 home runs, 81 RBI and 12 stolen bases last year in 130 games.

Still only 44% owned on Yahoo.  Go get him.

• Like 1

Polanco (shoulder) went 0-for-2 with a pair of walks in his first rehab appearance for High-A Bradenton on Sunday.

Polanco, who played all nine innings in right field, is rehabbing with catcher Elias Diaz (virus). General manager Neal Huntington is encouraged by their progress. "They can change our minds, if they show they're ready quicker, but there's a pretty good script in place that we'll adjust depending on how they feel physically," Huntington said. "But there is a build-up period that needs to take place, and we would anticipate needing much of the 20 days for both of those guys."

9 innings in the field sounds good

• Like 1

From roto baller:  ( Nothing really new,but stilll encouraging)
4/11:Pittsburgh Pirates outfielder Gregory Polanco (shoulder) played nine innings with High-A Bradenton and is scheduled to serve as the designated hitter on Thursday. Polanco is recovering from serious left shoulder surgery last year, but he looks to be on track to make his season debut with the Pirates early next month. He hit .254 last season but also managed a career-high 23 home runs, 81 RBI and 12 stolen bases in just 130 games. Polanco needs to be stashed in all formats, as he can be a solid fantasy option when he's fully healthy.--Keith Hernandez - 
  • Like 2

Polanco (shoulder) will move his rehab stint up to Triple-A Indianapolis on Saturday, Rob Biertempfel of The Athletic reports.

Analysis:Polanco is working his way back from offseason shoulder surgery. He has just one hit in three rehab games for High-A Bradenton, but he'll move up for a tougher challenge nonetheless.

or well before May 1st.

2 hours ago, Hockey_Baseball said:

Good stuff...although we really want to see some bombs so we know the power is back

• Like 1

Does anyone have any idea when we can expect him back for the pirates? I could really use him in my lineup as he is just taking a roster spot now! Thanks!

6 minutes ago, lehighterp said:

Does anyone have any idea when we can expect him back for the pirates? I could really use him in my lineup as he is just taking a roster spot now! Thanks!

He's already up to AAA. I'd imagine early next week or this weekend