Dugout Legend

Gregory Polanco 2019 Outlook

Too early to make much of his statcast data but he's hitting the ball harder than ever and his launch angle is still pretty high so I expect some balls to start leaving the yard soon. Steals might be wishful thinking this year if he can't slide head first.

First homer last night and possibly even more encouraging - caught stealing. Hopefully he'll run a little.

56 minutes ago, bradwatson said:

First homer last night and possibly even more encouraging - caught stealing. Hopefully he'll run a little.

Fwiw i know he stole a few in the minor leage rehab.  Why are u encouraged? Was it a head first? I dodnt see.

5 hours ago, Cesare13 said:

Fwiw i know he stole a few in the minor leage rehab.  Why are u encouraged? Was it a head first? I dodnt see.

I didn't see but I'm encouraged either way because I thought if he wasn't willing to slide head first he wouldn't attempt to steal really at all. Him attempting means either he is going to slide head first or he's going to still attempt steals sliding foot first. I'm just glad he might run some.

58 minutes ago, java26 said:

And he's benched tonite wtf

Shoulder surgeries are no joke. Im sure they will be cautious with him for a little while here no matter how hot he gets. Yea it sucks but it's better than having him hurt the shoulder again and miss time. 

• Like 2

Rotoworld blurb says hes benched because of awful numbers vs wainwright

6 hours ago, Cesare13 said:

Rotoworld blurb says hes benched because of awful numbers vs wainwright

Melky Cabrera was 1-11 against Waino entering today... I'm gonna go ahead and say it was a planned day off and not a BvP thing. 

• Like 1

Sitting today vs a lefty. A little frustrating considering how hot he's been.

They will probably continue to get him his days off here and there for the first couple of months

18 minutes ago, to_be_quite_frank said:

Sitting today vs a lefty. A little frustrating considering how hot he's been.

They will probably continue to get him his days off here and there for the first couple of months

Its a bit ridiculous. Easing someone back into it is what a rehab assignment should be for. 

They face a lefty today and 3 more against SD. I'm sure he'll sit at least once again vs the Padres as well. I don't think it'll really get better when Dickerson and Chisenhall get back. The playing time time is likely going to be an issue 

They still haven't let him play 3 in a row IIRC, so it's possible they'll lift that restriction at some point. 

Here are the questions I have:

Was last year pre-injury a fluke, or a true breakout? 

If it was a breakout, will the power return? 

Will he steal?

Will he have playing time?

He's got a couple homers and attempted a steal already, so concerns about regaining those abilities should be diminished. Playing time? I don't know if the sitting will continue at this pace all year but it's definitely annoying. I don't know if last year was a breakout, but if it actually was he's basically a Justin Upton sitting on a lot of waivers. And if the breakout is for real there playing time issues will sort themselves out and he'll get a lot of work.

The issue with the shoulder isn't showing up on the fantasy sheet but anyone who's seen him throw to a cutoff man this year knows that the shoulder is still a big issue

11 hours ago, AnonymousRob said:

Here are the questions I have:

Was last year pre-injury a fluke, or a true breakout? 

If it was a breakout, will the power return? 

Will he steal?

Will he have playing time?

He's got a couple homers and attempted a steal already, so concerns about regaining those abilities should be diminished. Playing time? I don't know if the sitting will continue at this pace all year but it's definitely annoying. I don't know if last year was a breakout, but if it actually was he's basically a Justin Upton sitting on a lot of waivers. And if the breakout is for real there playing time issues will sort themselves out and he'll get a lot of work.

Just my opinion but 

I think he is in midst of breaking out - the shoulder injury deflated hype so he went at value range in drafts...now showing his stuff and owners getting greedy for more.....The P/T imo is purely to take it easy and limit set back possibilities.  I also dont think you will see much SB attempts next few weeks.  I expect the handcuffs will come off in a month or so assuming no set bcks and he should be a big boom down the stretch....I'd buy if there is a chance. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mpbaseball22 said:

The issue with the shoulder isn't showing up on the fantasy sheet but anyone who's seen him throw to a cutoff man this year knows that the shoulder is still a big issue

As someone who is mostly checking the box scores for this team, can you explain this a bit more?

23 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

As someone who is mostly checking the box scores for this team, can you explain this a bit more?

He's pretty much one or two hopped every throw to the cutoff man so far. They said coming into the season he was going to have to throw to the cutoff man for every throw because he didn't have the strength to throw from the outfield to second sharply. He's had a pretty good arm in the past, but not many throws have much zip on them this year, so far anyway

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jb_power said:

cringe worthy arm

Still twice the strength of Hunter Pence.

He's just not overexerting there clearly. As he regains full strength his arm should be fine. Fantasy owners just want him exerting himself at the plate anyway lol