garlando

Garrett Hampson 2019 Outlook

Both Hampson and McMahon should be starting.  Not sure how much time there is out in the OF though with them clearly not ready to give up on Desmond.  Maybe some time in RF against LHP if they choose to platoon Dahl, but he needs to start there against RHP.  If Hampson wins the job, then it's a moot point, but it is true that there is little playing time available in the OF besides maybe against LHP.

Hampson is certainly an attractive dynasty player especially in OBP leagues.  I'm intrigued - certainly not someone I'd be taking in a redraft THIS year (unless he looks fantastic in camp & is the clear cut starter - perhaps a late round flyer/first player cut if he doesn't pan out). 

1 hour ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

Hampson is certainly an attractive dynasty player especially in OBP leagues.  I'm intrigued - certainly not someone I'd be taking in a redraft THIS year (unless he looks fantastic in camp & is the clear cut starter - perhaps a late round flyer/first player cut if he doesn't pan out). 

I'm very high on him in redraft. In a dynasty league his value will skyrocket as everyone should be on him. Redraft he's coming very cheap and has legit shot for 30-50 SB playing in elite offense in elite park. Open competition at 2B but right now it looks like he's winning. Service time isn't an issue as he played last year. He's one of those guys that is almost guaranteed to be drafted about 5-10 rounds earlier next year than this year - in a redraft.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sidearmer said:

I'm very high on him in redraft. In a dynasty league his value will skyrocket as everyone should be on him. Redraft he's coming very cheap and has legit shot for 30-50 SB playing in elite offense in elite park. Open competition at 2B but right now it looks like he's winning. Service time isn't an issue as he played last year. He's one of those guys that is almost guaranteed to be drafted about 5-10 rounds earlier next year than this year - in a redraft.

McMahon is an issue.  Neither guy looks like a bench player right now.

3 hours ago, Magoo said:

McMahon is an issue.  Neither guy looks like a bench player right now.

Neither are in my view. If either McMahon or Hampson could play OF they'd have a path to more PT. Both are generally flexible in the infield (McMahon 1, 2 and 3, Hampson 2, SS), but Arenado and Story are locks on the left side and there may be only 5-10 starts at each position. First is a possibility, Murphy is a good hitter, but can't imagine his knees will make it more than 120 or so games. So that leaves about 40% starts available at 1, SS and 3. That combined with splitting time at 2B, both Hampson and McMahon should get a fair amount of PAs. It won't be conventional, but if they can hit like they've shown they can you deal with the minor inconvenience.

13 hours ago, kwolf68 said:

Neither are in my view. If either McMahon or Hampson could play OF they'd have a path to more PT. Both are generally flexible in the infield (McMahon 1, 2 and 3, Hampson 2, SS), but Arenado and Story are locks on the left side and there may be only 5-10 starts at each position. First is a possibility, Murphy is a good hitter, but can't imagine his knees will make it more than 120 or so games. So that leaves about 40% starts available at 1, SS and 3. That combined with splitting time at 2B, both Hampson and McMahon should get a fair amount of PAs. It won't be conventional, but if they can hit like they've shown they can you deal with the minor inconvenience.

I'm not sure where people are getting the idea that there is that much playing time in the OF.  I doubt the team is giving up on Desmond, so that would leave ABs maybe against LHP if they sit Dahl against them.  Blackmon, Desmond, and Dahl is their OF.

They need to play almost everyday.  McMahon has already proven he can't be jerked around (for good reason), as he's struggled anytime they've called him up.  Granted that was in extremely limited playing time, but still, they neither player has yet to show that the situation will be a good thing beyond in a handful of Spring Training games. There won't be 5-10 starts at each position unless either Arenado or Story get hurt.  Maybe 5 starts total at both positions for the occasional day off, but Story played 157 games last season and that sounds about right for Arenado in a normal season too.

Don't get me wrong.  I would love it if Hampson (and even McMahon) would get a full-time position.  His upside, especially in fairly weak positions (2B/SS), makes him an almost necessity.  Having another player with his SB upside would be huge.  While I understand why they did it, they really should have just passed on Murphy and let Hampson and McMahon be the right side of the IF from the get-go.  If they wanted to have a competition, have it be between Hampson and Rodgers, even if it would be clear that Hampson would win it.

10 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

I'm not sure where people are getting the idea that there is that much playing time in the OF.  I doubt the team is giving up on Desmond, so that would leave ABs maybe against LHP if they sit Dahl against them.  Blackmon, Desmond, and Dahl is their OF. 

They need to play almost everyday.  McMahon has already proven he can't be jerked around (for good reason), as he's struggled anytime they've called him up.  Granted that was in extremely limited playing time, but still, they neither player has yet to show that the situation will be a good thing beyond in a handful of Spring Training games. There won't be 5-10 starts at each position unless either Arenado or Story get hurt.  Maybe 5 starts total at both positions for the occasional day off, but Story played 157 games last season and that sounds about right for Arenado in a normal season too. 

Don't get me wrong.  I would love it if Hampson (and even McMahon) would get a full-time position.  His upside, especially in fairly weak positions (2B/SS), makes him an almost necessity.  Having another player with his SB upside would be huge.  While I understand why they did it, they really should have just passed on Murphy and let Hampson and McMahon be the right side of the IF from the get-go.  If they wanted to have a competition, have it be between Hampson and Rodgers, even if it would be clear that Hampson would win it. 

IMO, Ian Desmond should be the odd man out and Bud Black will realize this before the season or in April. Coors is the biggest OF in baseball, and they are switching Desmond to patrol the biggest outfield in baseball as he enters his age 33 season. He last played CF full time in 2016 (age 30 season). He made one start in center in 2017 and 2 starts in CF last year. This has disaster written all over it on the defensive side.

Ian Desmond statcast sprint speed checks in at 28.1, which is a few ticks ahead of Charlie Blackmon's 27.6 (the guy's he's replacing in CF). Ian Desmond's sprint speed ranks 148 overall in the MLB.

Meanwhile, Garret Hampson's sprint speed checks in at 30.0. That's the best on the Rockies and tied with Delino DeShields for #7/8 overall in all of MLB.

Ian Desmond is going to lose his job sooner than later. He's a horrible fit in CF and his Zips projected wRC+ of 81 is also less than Hampon's projected wRC+ of 89. Ian Desmond has no business being an every day player in 2019.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crotchcrickets said:

unfortunately i don't think bud black will realize that desmond is the odd man out.

When it comes to young talent, I just expect him to do the opposite of what makes sense to me. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, treat88 said:

When it comes to young talent, I just expect him to do the opposite of what makes sense to me. 

thing is...i don't even really hold him fully responsible...the FO carries some of the blame for signing these vets to the weird a** contracts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Light Tower Power said:

IMO, Ian Desmond should be the odd man out and Bud Black will realize this before the season or in April. Coors is the biggest OF in baseball, and they are switching Desmond to patrol the biggest outfield in baseball as he enters his age 33 season. He last played CF full time in 2016 (age 30 season). He made one start in center in 2017 and 2 starts in CF last year. This has disaster written all over it on the defensive side.

Ian Desmond statcast sprint speed checks in at 28.1, which is a few ticks ahead of Charlie Blackmon's 27.6 (the guy's he's replacing in CF). Ian Desmond's sprint speed ranks 148 overall in the MLB.

Meanwhile, Garret Hampson's sprint speed checks in at 30.0. That's the best on the Rockies and tied with Delino DeShields for #7/8 overall in all of MLB.

Ian Desmond is going to lose his job sooner than later. He's a horrible fit in CF and his Zips projected wRC+ of 81 is also less than Hampon's projected wRC+ of 89. Ian Desmond has no business being an every day player in 2019.

I don't disagree with you that Desmond should be the odd man out.  He proved that last season, even though he was one of the rare players to have a 20/20 season.  There's a difference between what we think is the right thing to do and what the team/manager will actually do though, kind of like what others have said today.

Whatever happens, can the Mark Reynolds experiment end? What is it with the Rockies bringing out these geezers when they have perfectly capable players ready to go.

8 minutes ago, kwolf68 said:

Whatever happens, can the Mark Reynolds experiment end? What is it with the Rockies bringing out these geezers when they have perfectly capable players ready to go.

that, my friend, if the million dollar question

or in the rockies FO, the several million dollar per year question

Edited by crotchcrickets

Just now, crotchcrickets said:

that, my friend, if the million dollar questions.

or in the rockies FO, the several million dollar per year question

Hopefully he flames out so we can get some kids out there...and so far he sucks. But a few hits could easily get his average over .200 which will likely earn him starts over McMahon and Hampson. Rockies lost a couple old timers off last years team and they need to backfill with some new ones. 

Over the past couple years the rockies have proven themselves to be the worst org for owning young players.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Triple Short Of a Cycle said:

Like Trevor Story?

No he means Corey Dickerson... or maybe Arenado. 🤣

Honestly, amazes me his people have this outlook on the Rockies because guys like Tom Murphy and McMahon sucked and didn't earn playing time.

Edited by StevieStats

Hampson picking the wrong time to slump at the plate.  His batting average has dropped to .263.  Meanwhile,McMahon is hitting .476.  Hampson better pick it up soon. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/3/2019 at 8:14 PM, StevieStats said:

No he means Corey Dickerson... or maybe Arenado. 🤣

Honestly, amazes me his people have this outlook on the Rockies because guys like Tom Murphy and McMahon sucked and didn't earn playing time.

It's crazy how prevalent this thought process is.  I think a big part of it is Rockies' youngsters being overvalued early because of the Coors' bump. 

2 hours ago, Southcoast57 said:

Hampson picking the wrong time to slump at the plate.  His batting average has dropped to .263.  Meanwhile,McMahon is hitting .476.  Hampson better pick it up soon. 

Although he did get the start today in CF. And Tapia was in the same lineup but played LF. So they might be leaning Hampson as the CF option after Desmond. And it also means he could be in the OF vs. LHP if David Dahl scuffles against them (Desmond would play a corner). 

• Like 1

This is his slash line....2 hrs and 3 for 3 on stolen bases.  I think he’s doing just fine.

.263 .364 .579

Mcmahon may be on fire but can’t be asking hampson to do much more than he is right now.  I think his biggest advantage over mcmahon is that he’s literally never had a down period, wasn’t solid his entire minor career and in his cup of coffee last year.  He’s just consistently good.  Mcmahon was awful in his first taste of the majors.  Both will be on the roster imo, they’ll split time at second and hampson will fill in elsewhere and start the majority of the games.  I could see him ending the season with ~140 games vs ~80-100 for mcmahon.

On 3/2/2019 at 1:08 PM, tsh00k said:

image.png.3375ed2dbabc1374ab6b3bcaf3865768.png

Since you posted this ..Garrett Hampson is 0-8 ...

Edited by shakestreet

Just realized they are both 24 yo. McMahon was also a big prospect beginning of last year and a couple years back from what I can recall.

I don't see no reason for the Rockies to commit to Hampson if McMahon continues hot like this. 

Year Tm Age GS G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS TB GDP HBP SH SF IBB OppQual
2019 COL 24   10 22 19 3 5 0 0 2 5 3 0 3 5 .263 .364 .579 .943 11 1 0 0 0 0 6.3
Year Tm Age GS G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS TB GDP HBP SH SF IBB OppQual
2019 COL 24   10 25 21 6 10 4 1 1 3 0 0 3 4 .476 .560 .905 1.465 19 0 1 0 0 0 7.4