Sign in to follow this  
2ndCitySox

Chicago White Sox 2019 Outlook

I had hoped for a better record last year, but maybe I was wearing rose-colored glasses. Things I loved last year: a solid bounce back by Tim Anderson, Matt Davidson actually looking like a major leaguer, Palka Power, and Rey Lopez coming up and doing mostly good things. 

The things I didn't love: Moncada's k-rate, Giolito's everything, Rodon's inconsistency, and of course, Kopech needing TJS.  

The latter, of course, is going to impact this season quite a bit. The team itself finished well (including the pitching), and a healthy Kopech may have triggered the front-office to make some moves to start opening that contention window. 

Regardless, I think this season will be a lot of fun. We will finally see Eloy in the bigs, with more kids ready for the call too. I think the young pitchers take another step forward. The bullpen is garbage at the moment because the good ones were all dealt last year, but the Sox have had good luck finding relievers. 

Overall, barring some crazy moves by the FO, I'm hoping for an 81-81 season. Considering how bad they've been the last 3 years, that would feel damn amazing. 

• Like 2

I liked how Reynaldo Lopez came on so strong the last two months with some really nice stats.  He could be a sneaky pick in fantasy this season now that the shakedown cruise is over and he is settled in.

• Like 2

Hoping for some big FA signings but the past few weeks or so seem to favor phillies/NYY in the machado/Harper sweepstakes unfortunately. 

Outside of thsoe 2, there's not really anything that would get me excited for the CWS in 2019... just another year of progress is the best we can hope for. Gotta hope Moncada makes strides a long with the pitching staff and then will be looking good in 2020. 

49 minutes ago, CrypTviLL said:

Hoping for some big FA signings but the past few weeks or so seem to favor phillies/NYY in the machado/Harper sweepstakes unfortunately. 

Outside of thsoe 2, there's not really anything that would get me excited for the CWS in 2019... just another year of progress is the best we can hope for. Gotta hope Moncada makes strides a long with the pitching staff and then will be looking good in 2020. 

Machado interests me more than Harper, but Manny's attitude would be a terrible fit for a young developing clubhouse, and he would probably get choked out by Renteria.

2 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

I had hoped for a better record last year, but maybe I was wearing rose-colored glasses. Things I loved last year: a solid bounce back by Tim Anderson, Matt Davidson actually looking like a major leaguer, Palka Power, and Rey Lopez coming up and doing mostly good things. 

The things I didn't love: Moncada's k-rate, Giolito's everything, Rodon's inconsistency, and of course, Kopech needing TJS.  

The latter, of course, is going to impact this season quite a bit. The team itself finished well (including the pitching), and a healthy Kopech may have triggered the front-office to make some moves to start opening that contention window. 

Regardless, I think this season will be a lot of fun. We will finally see Eloy in the bigs, with more kids ready for the call too. I think the young pitchers take another step forward. The bullpen is garbage at the moment because the good ones were all dealt last year, but the Sox have had good luck finding relievers. 

Overall, barring some crazy moves by the FO, I'm hoping for an 81-81 season. Considering how bad they've been the last 3 years, that would feel damn amazing. 

i liked how tim anderson increased  his walk rate. if he can continue that trend he can be a very solid SS.  the power and SB are there.

Gioloto stinks but Lopez looked very good down the stretch.  his K/9 greatly increased.  hes gonna be one of my fantasy sleepers this year.  Sucks about Kopech but he looked like the real deal when he pitched.

and you just gotta hope Moncada and Eloy pan out and youll be a very good team going forward.

I think they should try and trade abreu now or during the season if hes having a good year and get a good prospect for him.  avisail garcia too if hes having a decent year

• Like 1

They just hired Matt Lisle for their hitting analytic position.  Expect a breakout hitter from nowhere,  that dude is one of the best hitting instructors alive 

• Like 2

On 11/21/2018 at 7:33 PM, WahooManiac said:

They just hired Matt Lisle for their hitting analytic position.  Expect a breakout hitter from nowhere,  that dude is one of the best hitting instructors alive 

Sleepers? Delmonico, Cordell, but most importantly work on Moncada and tap into his enormous potential....220 BA isnt' going to cut it.

• Like 1

On 11/21/2018 at 6:33 PM, WahooManiac said:

Never heard of him, but that sounds like great news. I'd like to see some better plate discipline with this team. 

On 11/25/2018 at 10:30 AM, 2ndCitySox said:

Never heard of him, but that sounds like great news. I'd like to see some better plate discipline with this team. 

Thehittingvault.com is his work.  My kids swing is built largely on his work.  His resume is ridiculous in length and success.  He's the guy who changed Haniger, amongst others.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

funny-lottery-ticket-TV-numbers-1.jpg

you guys have a damn World Series Championship, and that's assuming you're just a baseball fan. you can keep the tears. Padre fans deserve a splash like this.

21 minutes ago, axiom20XX said:

you guys have a damn World Series Championship, and that's assuming you're just a baseball fan. you can keep the tears. Padre fans deserve a splash like this.

Yeah you're right. They won 14 years ago so I guess I should stop rooting for them. Mission accomplished.

I just despise Kenny Williams  Guy has no business being involved in baseball operations.

"I'm wearing my shades so that you guys don't see the shock in my eyes,". "It is disappointing."

Just a loser.

10 minutes ago, supac720 said:

I just despise Kenny Williams  Guy has no business being involved in baseball operations.

"I'm wearing my shades so that you guys don't see the shock in my eyes,". "It is disappointing."

Just a loser.

Bad acting, haha. 

I may get ridiculed, It may not matter to anyone here, but just throwing this out:

I was a White Sox fan since I've been born. I am 30 years old. I've gone to tons of games in the past few years while I was living in Chicago. 

In 2015 prior to the big trades and rebuild, I was considering leaving the franchise -- I just didn't agree with anything they were doing. They went full on rebuild and that reinvigorated my love for baseball and the White Sox. 

As of today, February 19, 2019, I am no longer a White Sox fan. I gave them the chance of the rebuild, but the front office is so incompetent. They had an open check book essentially, and couldn't budge on this prime talent in free agency and left us with quotes on how they couldn't go above the 300 mill mark. 

This team is a joke and I'm not going to follow it for the remainder. 

My current two teams of interest are the Tampa Bay Rays and the Chicago Cubs. I'm reviewing other teams to see who I want to fully pledge my allegiance too, but I expect it to be one of those two teams. 

I'm not happy with the Rays and how their payroll has been, but their the only other team I've had connections with (lived in Tampa for 13 years, went to even more Rays games than White Sox games, I currently live here). While their payroll sucks, I love the way they run the organization. The other thing that sucks is their stuck in hell against the Yankees and Red Sox, also the future juggernaught of the Blue Jays. 

The Cubs I have a small connection with since I lived in Wrigley's backyard for a while and their a Chicago team (born a Chicago based fan as that's where I was raised).

I know this is a cool story bro, but for fans of other teams, just thank your lucky stars you aren't a fan of the Chicago White Sox (or Bulls for that matter). 

^ will you come back if they sign Harper? 🤣

I'm not jumping off a metaphorical bridge at this point. It's good/bad that SD was the team that snagged him. Since the Sox missed out, I want him to bust. But....i would hate to see that happen to the Padres. It would be so much easier to hope he would albatross the Yankees or something. 

We will see what the FO does now. I would be much more upset if they were just a Manny away from being  title contenders.  

18 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

^ will you come back if they sign Harper? 🤣

Absolutely.

But that possibility went out the window with the comments KW made today. 

If they said that there was no way they'd sign these guys in the beginning of the offseason, I would be a White Sox fan still right now.

But they didn't. They went out and traded for Machado's family and friends. The whole saga has been a disgrace.

• Like 1

Everyone that knows the White Sox knows the answer to this rhetorical question, but how in the hell is Don Cooper still the pitching coach for this team? 

They shouldn't have even played this rainy game but yeah they are super bad. Adam Engel would be debatable to even be a bench guy on all other 29 teams, much less a starter.

36 minutes ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

Everyone that knows the White Sox knows the answer to this rhetorical question, but how in the hell is Don Cooper still the pitching coach for this team? 

As a White Sox fan, I have no issues with Don Cooper.  IMO he has a good track record of getting the most out of pitchers but I don't think anyone could coach up the garbage they currently have on their pitching staff.  Its not his fault all their prospects get TJS on their way through the minors

1 minute ago, lukeman89 said:

As a White Sox fan, I have no issues with Don Cooper.  IMO he has a good track record of getting the most out of pitchers but I don't think anyone could coach up the garbage they currently have on their pitching staff.  Its not his fault all their prospects get TJS on their way through the minors

They've been bottom 3rd of baseball in WHIP and ERA for the last two years. A generational talent like Chris Sale isn't there to disguise the crap the other 11-12 guys do anymore and even with him they didn't have a staff ERA+ of over 100 since 2013. 

This pitching staff man...this is really something....

Got to wonder if/when to ship Reynaldo Lopez back down for perhaps a Dylan Cease.  Do they wait all the way until Super 2?

Santana just doesn't have it anymore IMO.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

Yeah, I mean the guy has done some great things, but those things happened many years ago. Some thing has to give. Peripherals show that the starters aren't near this bad (low bar though, since the starting SP ERA has to be 7.00+), but it can't be a coincidence that they all look like crap either. 

Don will always be the man in my heart, but if this team is serious about development, he needs to retire (or whatever)