Sign in to follow this  
AnonymousRob

Josh Donaldson 2019 Outlook

I wouldn't count on him having that productive a season, he has to run at some point and that's when he will get hurt like he did the last 2 years, he has a very strange gait, they won't get rid of Camargo or Swanson, I even think Camargo ends up playing more than JD this year because of injury

Where has he been?? He’s been m.i.a. the last few spring training games... 

5 minutes ago, Picard56 said:

Where has he been?? He’s been m.i.a. the last few spring training games... 

I think the Braves are just being cautious and easing him along this spring. Donaldson said in an interview about a week or two ago that this is the first spring training he's been healthy and feels good since the calf injury occurred in 2017. He added that he's progressing well and was just going to do it the right way and not try to rush anything. I think they may give him some days of rest during the beginning of the season to not only take it slow with him but also to get Camargo some ABs. 

3 minutes ago, BostonCajun said:

I think the Braves are just being cautious and easing him along this spring. Donaldson said in an interview about a week or two ago that this is the first spring training he's been healthy and feels good since the calf injury occurred in 2017. He added that he's progressing well and was just going to do it the right way and not try to rush anything. I think they may give him some days of rest during the beginning of the season to not only take it slow with him but also to get Camargo some ABs. 

I would take it with a grain of salt that he says he is fully healthy, he wouldn’t admit that his body feels like 💩. But i hope you are right, the season is right around the corner and usually they ramp up the players activity, not have them sit three games straight.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Picard56 said:

I would take it with a grain of salt that he says he is fully healthy, he wouldn’t admit that his body feels like 💩. But i hope you are right, the season is right around the corner and usually they ramp up the players activity, not have them sit three games straight.

Yeah hopefully it's nothing and I am right about them being cautious but you never know. FWIW I haven't seen/heard anything from local media about him nursing an ailment.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, gbill2004 said:

If he's healthy he's a top 10 fantasy player. 

If he's healthy, maybe he's a top 75 fantasy player, but his days of being a possible top 10 player are likely over, imo. Even when he's managed to be on the field the last 2 years, his strikeout rate has been climbing and his batting average has been declining. He's 33. Even if he manages to avoid the IL this year, he's going to get frequent days off to keep him fresh. I think he's a risky pick, even with his current ADP.  That being said, in my big money league the one time all draft season I timed out I ended up with him, so gooo Josh!

• Haha 1

On 3/21/2019 at 5:40 PM, gbill2004 said:

If he's healthy he's a top 10 fantasy player. 

..... someone has a crush on Josh

He won't be a top 10 fantasy player but if he's healthy he'll def return good value.  Good risk-reward player.

• Like 2

.111 average in spring with 1 hr ...... picking right up where he left off with the Indians playoff run

-- color me unexcited and unimpressed 

35 minutes ago, Motorcat117 said:

.111 average in spring with 1 hr ...... picking right up where he left off with the Indians playoff run

I get that he's having a rough spring so far but come on, you have to give Donaldson some credit for what he did with CLE at the end of 2018. In the 16 games he played for them he hit .280/.400/.520 with 3 HR, 8 runs, 7 RBIs, 1:1 K:BB and his ISO was .240. The more important thing to focus on is that he finished 2018 healthy, went through an entire off season healthy and is going through Spring Training healthy for the first time in 2+ years. To me that's more important than any stats he may or may not put up in Grapefruit League. Until something other than an injury points to a decline in skills I'm going to assume that a healthy Donaldson is a productive Donaldson and I'm buying wherever I can.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Motorcat117 said:

And ST stats mean.....wut?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, El_Chingon said:

True.  Obviously it's great when your players are having a great ST, but in the end the stats are meaningless.

I don't own Josh Donaldson, but I have to echo what others are saying that the most important thing is that he's healthy.  He was borderline dreadful with Toronto last season, but in the short time he was with the Indians, his overall stats looked very much like what he had been doing in the previous several seasons.

2 hours ago, El_Chingon said:

For a guy coming off an injury and a club setting a single season salary record (23 million)............ I'd say spring training had to mean something to the Braves and should of to Donaldson. 

I'm a Braves fan and we need this guy to deliver..... I'm just not convinced he can and he has done NOTHING to prove otherwise.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Motorcat117 said:

For a guy coming off an injury and a club setting a single season salary record (23 million)............ I'd say spring training had to mean something to the Braves and should of to Donaldson. 

I'm a Braves fan and we need this guy to deliver..... I'm just not convinced he can and he has done NOTHING to prove otherwise.

Skins on the wall mean a lot more than meaningless preseason games.  Atlanta obviously believes in him or he wouldn't be batting 2nd.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, El_Chingon said:

Skins on the wall mean a lot more than meaningless preseason games.  Atlanta obviously believes in him or he wouldn't be batting 2nd.

Well, I guess after spending 23 million the Braves are not going to bat him at the bottom of the order .... at least not yet.  I'm thinking as the season goes on we will see more Carmargo and even Riley.

I'm pulling for him (Donaldson) but think he is living off of past glory. 

I am definitely not buying in fantasy wise but if he smacks 30/100 I eat all the crow I can stomach

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Motorcat117 said:

Well, I guess after spending 23 million the Braves are not going to bat him at the bottom of the order .... at least not yet.  I'm thinking as the season goes on we will see more Carmargo and even Riley.

I'm pulling for him (Donaldson) but think he is living off of past glory. 

I am definitely not buying in fantasy wise but if he smacks 30/100 I eat all the crow I can stomach

Not sure what you mean by "past glory"....do you mean healthy?  He played hurt last year.  You will not be seeing more of Camargo or Riley unless he gets injured again.  Health is the only concern I would have with Donaldson and he appears to be healthy.  30 HR will be his floor if healthy.

Just now, El_Chingon said:

Not sure what you mean by "past glory"....do you mean healthy?  He played hurt last year.  You will not be seeing more of Camargo or Riley unless he gets injured again.  Health is the only concern I would have with Donaldson and he appears to be healthy.  30 HR will be his floor if healthy.

disagree ...... he will get regular days off - Unless he is absolutely on fire.

Mark that down 

Just now, Motorcat117 said:

disagree ...... he will get regular days off - Unless he is absolutely on fire.

Mark that down 

Of course he will get regular days off.  He is a vet and that will keep him healthy and productive.  That is a good thing.

1 minute ago, El_Chingon said:

Of course he will get regular days off.  He is a vet and that will keep him healthy and productive.  That is a good thing.

well - we are just splitting hairs at this point ..... decent civil back and forth. We will see what the season holds .... I am not as optimistic as you but being a Braves fan I'll be happy to own it 

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Motorcat117 said:

well - we are just splitting hairs at this point ..... decent civil back and forth. We will see what the season holds .... I am not as optimistic as you but being a Braves fan I'll be happy to own it 

I too think he'll get some days off but I think that'll be early in the season to make sure he remains healthy. That being said, if he's raking after the first few weeks I think the Braves let him loose and just give him a day off here and there just as they would anyother player. I live in Atlanta and I get the feeling the Braves wouldn't have spent that kind of money on him if they felt he was not fully healed. 

On 3/22/2019 at 6:17 PM, gbill2004 said:

Overall

You are making a joke, right?  His best days are over and even during his best days he was never ever a top ten player overall.  Top 20 a couple of years, but never a top ten.  And this from someone who has owned him on a dynasty for years starting back in his Oakland days.

• Like 1