joebaker23

Damien Williams 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

2 hours ago, cizastro said:

I want Williams to play as bad as anyone and he's honestly the only reason I'm in my championship, but honestly how can you even say that Williams is the better back?  Ware has a full yard higher average per carry, Ware also catches the ball well out of the backfield.  I think some of you are getting enamored with a guy who performed well in a plus matchup, but to go out and say Williams is better than Ware is just simply not true.  Look at the Baltimore box score if you want to see how both backs perform when actually in the same game.

Our best bet for Williams to provide good value this week is only if Ware sits.  It's possible he could poach another TD if Ware plays, but I don't have the stones to gamble on that in the championship week. 

I'm a huge stats guy, but we just have too small of a sample size for both guys with KC this year to form a real sound conclusion. That's why I keep bringing up the eye test. Williams, is faster, more explosive, more powerful, and a better pass catcher. Ware never makes a play that makes you say wow. Williams at least has that ability, and has already demonstrated it with KC this year.

KC would be idiotic to not give the ball to williams. Even though i dislike his lack of vision between the tackles, his exceptional pass catching ability and burst makes me believe he gets the edge over ware this weekend

4 minutes ago, CABLE87 said:

KC would be idiotic to not give the ball to williams. Even though i dislike his lack of vision between the tackles, his exceptional pass catching ability and burst makes me believe he gets the edge over ware this weekend

He has good initial burst, everything else that makes a RB He is behind Ware in, pass catching included....Anyone starting Williams over Ware if Ware plays is insane, that's not a good idea...

• Like 2

I benefited from The Omen last week, not on my roster this week.

Good luck anyone starting him.

giphy.gif

• Like 2

allknowing with the badbadbadbad, horrendous, hideous, vile, stoooopit DHC imitation up in here.  epic fail all around. 

son, ya need some fresh air. 

• Like 1

at least there is no TNF this week to make things even worse. That sucked. 

Spencer Ware (hamstring) remained "limited" in Thursday's practice.

Ware would seem to be on track to return against the Seahawks on Sunday night, but his status can't yet be taken for granted. Even were Ware to return, it is not outside the realm of possibility that Damien Williams will lead the Chiefs' committee.

The worst part about this is we need Ware to be considered OUT by Saturday or Sunday morning at the latest.  They play at night so unless you own both I can't see rolling the dice on the off chance Ware doesn't suit up.  I think the NFL should really consider flexing this game to a 1pm EST start time and flexing the huge Dolphins Vs. Jaguars game into the prime time slot. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, GADirtyBird said:

Spencer Ware (hamstring) remained "limited" in Thursday's practice.

Ware would seem to be on track to return against the Seahawks on Sunday night, but his status can't yet be taken for granted. Even were Ware to return, it is not outside the realm of possibility that Damien Williams will lead the Chiefs' committee.

Source: Brooke Pryor on Twitter

Ok, Brooke. :rolleyes:

46 minutes ago, HTM said:

at least there is no TNF this week to make things even worse. That sucked. 

They play Sunday night though which is arguably worse since most of your roster decisions will likely have to be made and we may not find if Ware is out or not until inactives are reported Sunday night. At least with Thursday you knew Ware was out and could weigh Williams against your other options. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Jaw1 said:

They play Sunday night though which is arguably worse since most of your roster decisions will likely have to be made and we may not find if Ware is out or not until inactives are reported Sunday night. At least with Thursday you knew Ware was out and could weigh Williams against your other options. 

The problem with TNF was you couldn't wait and see if your other options would be ready (guys like Conner/Breida etc..) so you just had to roll the dice and hope D. Williams would do great (which he did) without knowing if other more preferred options would be available. 

At least with SNF you get to see how everyone is doing by Sunday. 

4 minutes ago, HTM said:

The problem with TNF was you couldn't wait and see if your other options would be ready (guys like Conner/Breida etc..) so you just had to roll the dice and hope D. Williams would do great (which he did) without knowing if other more preferred options would be available. 

To be honest I prefer it the other way because I play the matchups more than the people (unless they're elite studs).  This matchup is great for whomever plays for KC.  I'd much rather roll Williams knowing that Ware is out over my other options like McGuire or Robby Anderson.  This situation is going to force me to play them if there's not a concrete update by the time their game starts. 

There would be nothing more frustrating than putting a guy you like less in your lineup only to hear well after that game is done that the player you'd prefer will be the lead dog because Ware is out.  That's my biggest nightmare.

Edited by cizastro
  • Like 2

Any one owning Ware/ Williams should def try grabbing Mike Davis as an alternative option.  If Penny is out, Davis will be a safe PPR option vs KC if you want to avoid a possible KC timeshare.  I figure all 3 have the same probability of running in a goal line. goal line carry/pass.

Just now, HTM said:

Yeah I guess it is kind of the same fundamental problem. It is difficult to compare Williams w/ no Ware to Conner since his value obviously fluctuates dramatically depending on if he is active or not (active you probably go with him but not active you obvi would prefer Williams) but you need to make the decision without having "all the information". Similarly with Williams' value impacted by whether Ware plays or not it's difficult to know if you should start a guy over him since a guy you may start over Williams if Ware is active you may not start over Williams if Ware isn't active.

8 minutes ago, cizastro said:

To be honest I prefer it the other way because I play the matchups more than the people (unless they're elite studs).  This matchup is great for whomever plays for KC.  I'd much rather roll Williams knowing that Ware is out over my other options like McGuire or Robby Anderson.  This situation is going to force me to play them if there's not a concrete update by the time their game starts. 

There would be nothing more frustrating than putting a guy you like less in your lineup only to hear well after that game is done that the player you'd prefer will be the lead dog because Ware is out.  That's my biggest nightmare.

I mean, another nightmare scenario is having to decide on Thursday to play someone (Williams last week) that player putting up a turd and then your star is able to play and puts up a 30 burger Sunday.

At least with everyone playing on Sunday the situation is usually much clearer than with a Thursday game where you haven't had Friday and Saturday reports to reflect on. 

Edited by HTM

2 minutes ago, Jaw1 said:

Yeah I guess it is kind of the same fundamental problem. It is difficult to compare Williams w/ no Ware to Conner since his value obviously fluctuates dramatically depending on if he is active or not (active you probably go with him but not active you obvi would prefer Williams) but you need to make the decision without having "all the information". Similarly with Williams' value impacted by whether Ware plays or not it's difficult to know if you should start a guy over him since a guy you may start over Williams if Ware is active you may not start over Williams if Ware isn't active.

Outside of the inexplicable Jamaal Williams opening series over Aaron Jones type scenario two weeks ago, i feel like with all the fantasy analysts and beat writers on this sire, we will have a good idea who between Ware and WIlliams (if Ware is active ) will shoulder the load and/or start.  Either way I think Williams gets between 9-13 touches which isn't a ton less than what he got on that 30 point night (he got 16)

7 minutes ago, JetsAwesome said:

Outside of the inexplicable Jamaal Williams opening series over Aaron Jones type scenario two weeks ago, i feel like with all the fantasy analysts and beat writers on this sire, we will have a good idea who between Ware and WIlliams (if Ware is active ) will shoulder the load and/or start.  Either way I think Williams gets between 9-13 touches which isn't a ton less than what he got on that 30 point night (he got 16)

While this may be true the 30 point game can't really be the barometer, I mean Hunt only surpassed that threshold twice and it took scoring 3 TDs both times (I don't think anybody is saying Damien is a better player than Hunt). Williams scored 2 TDs and led the Chiefs in receiving last week which is promising and gives an idea of what he is capable of but that's probably close to his ceiling without even factoring in Ware.  He is still capable of a big game splitting work with Ware but the likelihood drops big time especially his odds of scoring those TDs which were like half his points (I don't know who would be preferred GL back but Ware is the heavier, stockier back). His receiving opportunities clearly had a lot to do with Hill banged up and the need to restructure the offense some so I wouldn't bet on that continuing at the same level either (Ware is a capable receiver as well although not quite as explosive after the catch). 

43 minutes ago, JetsAwesome said:

Any one owning Ware/ Williams should def try grabbing Mike Davis as an alternative option.  If Penny is out, Davis will be a safe PPR option vs KC if you want to avoid a possible KC timeshare.  I figure all 3 have the same probability of running in a goal line. goal line carry/pass.

Only way davis is getting goal line work is if Carson is hurt or just broke away for 50 yards down the 1.

4 minutes ago, OmegaRed88 said:

Only way davis is getting goal line work is if Carson is hurt or just broke away for 50 yards down the 1.

Or game script. If Sea is in hurry-up Davis is gonna be in, and Davis is gonna stay in on those GL opportunities. I'd say there's a fairly decent chance he punches one in this week.

42 minutes ago, JetsAwesome said:

Much of the analyst speak is not a whole lot more than what we do here on the forums. Only difference is they'll report coach speak as if it carries any weight. Ware will get the start out of respect, but Williams will be the guy when it matters. I don't feel overly confident starting either, but if I had to pick one, it'd be Williams, particularly in PPR.

6 hours ago, BGDDYKWL said:

Much of the analyst speak is not a whole lot more than what we do here on the forums. Only difference is they'll report coach speak as if it carries any weight. Ware will get the start out of respect, but Williams will be the guy when it matters. I don't feel overly confident starting either, but if I had to pick one, it'd be Williams, particularly in PPR.

Ware isn't some veteran that AR needs to start out of respect, if he's the starter that means he is assuming his starting role.  I have never seen AR start a RB and they weren't used how he normally deploys them that is however an injury or re-injury occurs. 

Or if he's simply limited!

there are four possibilities: most, half, few, or none of the snaps for Ware.

I honestly see more arguments for all not labeled most.