joebaker23

Damien Williams 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

3 hours ago, ginocan said:

What's a JAG? and how do you become one?

If I remember correctly, it's like "Law & Order" but in the military. What you need is a law degree, a uniform and a pretty face.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

If I remember correctly, it's like "Law & Order" but in the military. What you need is a law degree, a uniform and a pretty face.

I'm 2/3 short.  Some would say 3/3.

Edited by K197040
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, K197040 said:

I'm 2/3 short.  Some would say 3/3.

Yeah a nurse's uniform doesn't count.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Boudewijn said:

Yeah a nurse's uniform doesn't count.

It's actually called "Sexy Nurse Zombie" uniform.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Imo he’s getting starter money. Looks like the Chiefs are capitalizing on getting him as cheap as possible but that’s not a backup running back deal 

Just now, Joe Odam said:

Imo he’s getting starter money. Looks like the Chiefs are capitalizing on getting him as cheap as possible but that’s not a backup running back deal 

JAG deal? :P

I can't wait to hear what @All Knowing has to say now...  

Hopefully, more of the same 'he's JAG and Ware is the clear better back the Chiefs will use"

I could always use a good laugh

• Haha 1

Rotoworld post looking like it is written by  a Ware owner:

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports the extension has a "max value" of $8.1 million. It is surely heavily incentive laden. The 26-year-old ex-Dolphin has cleared 100 yards from scrimmage in back-to-back games and is averaging a robust 5.3 yards per carry on the year. Williams is also a capable pass catcher. Although the Chiefs clearly envision Williams as part of their post-Kareem Hunt backfield, all Williams' extension really guarantees is that he will be a part of next year's 53-man roster.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1078459035697975312

Edited by pdizzle710

Need more insight for this upcoming game - who will be the starter?

Does AR just keep rolling out there what works and use Ware as the change up like he did with Hunt ?

9 hours ago, Joe Odam said:

Some important facts for dynasty owners thinking they may or may not have a gem on their hands:

-turns 27 in April

-has 172 CAREER carries on his body

-Unrestricted Free Agent in 2019

-Ware is Unrestricted FA in 2019 (will also be 27 during the majority of next season)

-Darrel Williams is the only RB under contract heading into 2019 

-Chiefs have 4 picks in the first 3 rounds of the draft

-2019 free agent rb's include : Bell, Ajayi, CJA, T. Coleman, M. Davis, Ingram, L. Murray, D. Martin, Yeldon, Collins, Blue

personally I do not see the Chiefs spending high draft capital on another rb with such glaring needs on defense and the ability to plug spare parts in at rb and keep the offense moving. I could however see them signing AT LEAST one rb off of that list of free agents. Ingram in particular fits the mold of a physical Hunt type every down back. 

Summary: to say it's a 50/50 shot Williams is back with the Chiefs AND with an opportunity to be the guy would be exceptionally optimistic. With that said, it's not out of the realm of possibility. If it costs you nothing to hold onto him over the offseason....might as well do so

I wrote this only 9 hours ago lol 

IMO this extension changes my opinion A LOT. I now fully believe they will spend a mid round pick on a rb with Damien serving as the "world be off season free agent signing". With that said, there's little reason to believe that the Chiefs don't feel they can get 2 strong years out of Damien. He's proven to be a flawless system fit. Immediate dynasty arrow STRAIGHT UP

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Zak0221 said:

Need more insight for this upcoming game - who will be the starter?

Does AR just keep rolling out there what works and use Ware as the change up like he did with Hunt ?

Considering Ware is practicing in full, it Williams starts week 17,  I firmly believe that signals a changing of the guard. The playoffs will obviously be even more telling. 

if we can backtrack a bit....

When Jamaal Charles went down, it was C.West that was the back  up and then starter with Ware as 3rd string.  Did West get injured and Ware played so well that he kept starting to close out the year when West returned?  Also then Ware was the starter going into the following year until he got injured then K.Hunt happened who then took the job for good again til he poofed.  

Do I have the time line correct?

6 minutes ago, Zak0221 said:

if we can backtrack a bit....

When Jamaal Charles went down, it was C.West that was the back  up and then starter with Ware as 3rd string.  Did West get injured and Ware played so well that he kept starting to close out the year when West returned?  Also then Ware was the starter going into the following year until he got injured then K.Hunt happened who then took the job for good again til he poofed.  

Do I have the time line correct?

Wasn't Knile Davis the backup initially and then surpassed by both Ware and West?

2 minutes ago, Ace_King said:

Wasn't Knile Davis the backup initially and then surpassed by both Ware and West?

Davis was indeed JC's backup but I think he never actually panned out and the years I am talking about came after the KD backup years.  

but was it Knile that was the starter before C.West then? Coulda swore it was still JC...but maybe missing a piece of the puzzle here.

Edited by Zak0221

Ok I looked it up.  

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WestCh01.htm

2014 - JC started 15 games and KD 1 game

2015- JC starts 5 games, West 9 games, and Ware 2 games ( I owned JC this year and thats why I had that CSB memory of this situation bc I had to play musical RB)

2016- Ware 14 games and West 2 games. 

2017- Hunt 16 games

2018- Hunt 12 games, Ware 1 game, DWill 2 

Final game in 2018 : ?

From what I remember, I think it was an injury then solid play that caused the fluctuation each time except of course the one KD start bc JC was rested week 17 of that year.  Does anyone remember the situations differently?  It looks like history continues to be repeated here with Williams.  

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2592024-spencer-wares-updated-2015-fantasy-outlook-after-charcandrick-wests-injury

Apparently it was a hamstring injury to West that opened the door for Ware at the end of 2015...

Edited by Zak0221

5 minutes ago, Zak0221 said:

Ok I looked it up.  

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WestCh01.htm

2014 - JC started 15 games and KD 1 game

2015- JC starts 5 games, West 9 games, and Ware 2 games ( I owned JC this year and thats why I had that CSB memory of this situation bc I had to play musical RB)

2016- Ware 14 games and West 2 games. 

2017- Hunt 16 games

2018- Hunt 12 games, Ware 1 game, DWill 2 

Final game in 2018 : ?

From what I remember, I think it was an injury then solid play that caused the fluctuation each time except of course the one KD start bc JC was rested week 17 of that year.  Does anyone remember the situations differently?  It looks like history continues to be repeated here with Williams.  

correct. and correct. IF history repeats itself Williams has a LEGIT shot at being the guy in week 1 next season. Reid has no history of big free agent signings and a massive resume of turning "above average" talents into hyper relevant fantasy stars.  This is not a minor extension as Rapsheet suggests when you consider the source. 

I believe Davis was the backup going into the season. He definitely was the guy being drafted as the Charles cuff because that was used as "exhibit A" against drafting a cuff by some (i.e., the drafted cuff may not prove to be the real cuff when an injury happens).

They signed Williams after two starts. That suggests strong confidence.

Edited by Ace_King

Looking at who started in 2015 when West and Ware were emerging, it does appear West got starts when he returned from injury ( I somewhat remember being annoyed by this bc Ware was better ) however the following year in 2016 Ware was starter of every game outside of one he was injured and didnt play.  

I feel Damien keeps getting the starts here but would love to know who is getting the majority of practice reps but we depend on silly beat writers for that.