dannyusf

Juan Soto 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2019 season will be locked on 2019-11-28. Please finish any 2019 discussions here, and take any 2020 outlook discussions to the 2020 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2020.]

Message added by tonycpsu

6 minutes ago, High&Inside said:

I'm concerned about that weird dance thing he does when he almost goes after inside pitches. 

tenor.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, High&Inside said:

I'm concerned about that weird dance thing he does when he almost goes after inside pitches. 

Yes plus his stupid foot drag after every close pitch called a ball.  He is annoying to watch when he isn't doing well

I have him in 2 leagues and I’m officially concerned.  

- back issues are tricky

- missed time due to injuries in minors

- the shift

Just have to sit tight and hope for the best

2 hours ago, Strike Three said:

I have him in 2 leagues and I’m officially concerned.  

- back issues are tricky

- missed time due to injuries in minors

- the shift

Just have to sit tight and hope for the best

He is still seeing the ball but maybe being too picky. Like Moncada was last year. 

4 minutes ago, Jmadtown said:

He is still seeing the ball but maybe being too picky. Like Moncada was last year. 

Teams have adjusted to him.  Lately he’s getting less fastballs and more off speed and he can’t touch anything but fastballs.  Definitely in an adjustment period.  His lineup he’s in sucks so that doesn’t do any favors.  Overall will probably be tough for him to return value in redraft.

Just now, Cmilne23 said:

His lineup he’s in sucks so that doesn’t do any favors.

Turner will be back soon, which will provide a big boost to the top of that lineup.

Just now, Hanghow said:

Turner will be back soon, which will provide a big boost to the top of that lineup.

That will help.  They have so many wasted outs in that lineup.  

30 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

Teams have adjusted to him.  Lately he’s getting less fastballs and more off speed and he can’t touch anything but fastballs.  Definitely in an adjustment period.  His lineup he’s in sucks so that doesn’t do any favors.  Overall will probably be tough for him to return value in redraft.

Vlad Jr disagrees 

[...] Might be annoying currently but I am optimistic he will figure things out.  I have a back injury myself (compressed vertabrea) and DO NOT play baseball...I can only imagine swinging a bat that it is still bothering him [...]

It sucks! I thought I was getting a legit stud in my Dynasty Keeper league as my 5th overall pick. Now I’m concerned he can even return top 200 value. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hatfieldodger said:

It sucks! I thought I was getting a legit stud in my Dynasty Keeper league as my 5th overall pick. Now I’m concerned he can even return top 200 value. 

You have him in a dynasty and you're freaking out over JUST a .779 OPS in 119 AB's at age 20!?

8 minutes ago, Hanghow said:

You have him in a dynasty and you're freaking out over JUST a .779 OPS in 119 AB's at age 20!?

Am I freaking out? I would say I’m more concerned with his back issues becoming a underlying cause for his mediocrity. Listen I hope it’s just an adjustment period but I am worried it could be more than that. 

3 hours ago, Hatfieldodger said:

Am I freaking out? I would say I’m more concerned with his back issues becoming a underlying cause for his mediocrity. Listen I hope it’s just an adjustment period but I am worried it could be more than that. 

Fair enough; I'm not terribly worried about the injury just yet and he's among the league leaders in lowest fastball% seen. It's not exactly unusual for a hitter his age to have trouble with breaking pitches and he's still walking a bunch. I think he'll be fine.

Remember when this guy was good?  Yeah, me neither.

2 minutes ago, CAT said:

This post is unnecessarily dramatic. He just had one of the best seasons a teenager has ever had in the majors. Let’s not freak out about a relatively slow start good grief. 

• Like 4

Soto is not playing good right now. better drop him for Votto. JUST KIDDING.

On 5/16/2019 at 5:24 PM, CAT said:

He's good again.

• Like 2

remember when 10 days ago he looked like a lost cause.... Love having this guy in dynasty. Sometimes you just gotta be a little patient. 

Never sell a blue chip stock at its yearly low. 

Corollary: You can't time the market. 

The only real trick to fantasy baseball is identifying blue chippers and riding them. 

• Like 2

10 days ago in this thread: PANIC PANIC PANIC I WAS LIED TO!!!

Now Soto's up to .294/.395/.529 for the season in the blink of an eye aaaaaaaaand... crickets. 🦗🦗🦗

We're looking at a guy who is probably going to be competing for batting titles while hitting 30+ homers a year... and at age 20 he's going to be around for the better part of two decades.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, ReyesMurphyWright said:

10 days ago in this thread: PANIC PANIC PANIC I WAS LIED TO!!!

Now Soto's up to .294/.395/.529 for the season in the blink of an eye aaaaaaaaand... crickets. 🦗🦗🦗

We're looking at a guy who is probably going to be competing for batting titles while hitting 30+ homers a year... and at age 20 he's going to be around for the better part of two decades.

Dynasty league gold!!!

• Like 1