dannyusf

Juan Soto 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2019 season will be locked on 2019-11-28. Please finish any 2019 discussions here, and take any 2020 outlook discussions to the 2020 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2020.]

Message added by tonycpsu

52 minutes ago, ReyesMurphyWright said:

10 days ago in this thread: PANIC PANIC PANIC I WAS LIED TO!!!

Now Soto's up to .294/.395/.529 for the season in the blink of an eye aaaaaaaaand... crickets. 🦗🦗🦗

We're looking at a guy who is probably going to be competing for batting titles while hitting 30+ homers a year... and at age 20 he's going to be around for the better part of two decades.

I have been positive with my posts here. I do own in a Dynasty though!!

His zone percentage is down 5% so it seems the summer adjustment was to throw him less strikes. Fastballs are slightly down. As a result his o swing went up and contact percentage went down. Perhaps now we are seeing him adjust to these changes.

He was literally the best fastball hitter in the league last year I believe they said on a broadcast, so it makes sense the book got out and perhaps hes adjusted back. If he has adjusted already, and his "soph slump" was all of 7 weeks...

Bestill my beating heart this guy is gonna carry me for the next 10 years.

In a slump right now production wise, not hitting a HR or driving anybody in for 8 straight games (unless he does something late in the game today).  Not striking out much, so it's not much of a concern, but just something I noticed when pulling him up in my league.  I guess that just means a nice hot streak is coming soon...

25 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

In a slump right now production wise, not hitting a HR or driving anybody in for 8 straight games (unless he does something late in the game today).  Not striking out much, so it's not much of a concern, but just something I noticed when pulling him up in my league.  I guess that just means a nice hot streak is coming soon...

.220ish BABIP in June. Actually walking more than striking out. Hitting less fly balls than ground balls compared to overall season. Typically flyballs have worst BABIP so really no explanation for .220 BABIP except bad luck unless he is making weak contact, which doesnt seem to be the case.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lassetjus said:

.220ish BABIP in June. Actually walking more than striking out. Hitting less fly balls than ground balls compared to overall season. Typically flyballs have worst BABIP so really no explanation for .220 BABIP except bad luck unless he is making weak contact, which doesnt seem to be the case.

Wasn't really saying he was doing awful (and obviously not saying he sucks).  Just was surprised when I noticed he hadn't hit a HR or gotten any RBIs in now his last 8 games.  Never hurts to bring up low points in a player's season.

He was just on a mega heater.  Probably just one of those stretches where things aren’t going his way.  Still trying to figure out who and what he is for lg expectations this year.  Is he a 20 HR bat?  25?  30?  How many rbis?  Can he chip in 10 SBs or closer to 5?  I think he’s pretty safe for .900 ish ops with walks and XBH prowess.

44 minutes ago, bigbossman said:

Would you look at the wheels

(SWOON)

Calm down.  He's probably too young for you... 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, bigboyish said:

Anyone know why he's DTD on Yahoo?

Sore shin.  Fouled ball off his leg and then hit a 443 foot scud same at bat.  Hopefully he doesn’t wake up tomorrow and heal as slow as Brandon Lowe from bruises.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

Sore shin.  Fouled ball off his leg and then hit a 443 foot scud same at bat.  Hopefully he doesn’t wake up tomorrow and heal as slow as Brandon Lowe from bruises.

Guess he's not the next Brandon Lowe.  Soto is in the lineup tonight.

• Like 1

I recall last year there being a heated debated over someone comping Soto to Trout.... And yet, here we are again. Mm

• Like 6

He hit a couple of bombs today. Amazing how little attention he has gotten this season! Probably because we had all the hype in 2018 and encores aren't as exciting as the original thing.

Through 108 games this season (162-game pace in parentheses):

.289 BA / .401 OBP% / .543 SLG%

24 HR (36 HR)

77 RBI (116 RBI)

68 R (102 R)

10 SB (15 SB)

Don't forget - he's 20! Usually when we talk about 20 year olds we're talking about players in A ball, and if they're in AA we're incredibly impressed. Meanwhile Soto is already mashing for his second straight season at the MLB level. Crazy to to think about what his peak might look like.

• Like 7

Eno had an article on the Athletic the other day comparing him to a prime Miggy. He might be that good, folks

• Like 1

He got hurt back in May.  He was probably playing hurt for a while.  So if he was healthy all season, look out.

A bit of a dark horse but I wouldn't be surprised if he finished the top fantasy player in 2020.

1 minute ago, KingJoffrey said:

He got hurt back in May.  He was probably playing hurt for a while.  So if he was healthy all season, look out.

A bit of a dark horse but I wouldn't be surprised if he finished the top fantasy player in 2020.

He’s showing Larry Walker type base running.  Aka guys who aren’t exactly blazers but instinctly pick their spots.  He’s going to be a sneaky 12-15 SB guy it looks like.

larry walker did steal a lot of bags.

think more along the lines of pujols imo on the base running.

Yeah, he got off to a really slow start this year. But I think his numbers since mid-May are more of a reflection of his true talent.

His last 73 games projected to a 162-game pace:

.318 BA (.337 BABIP)

.427 OBP% (52 walks, 54 strikeouts)

.602 SLG% (40 home runs, 29 doubles, 9 triples)

118 RBI / 114 Runs

16 stolen bases

Ugh...he may have just done his hammy.

EDIT:  Out of the game now.

Edited by CAT