dannyusf

Juan Soto 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2019 season will be locked on 2019-11-28. Please finish any 2019 discussions here, and take any 2020 outlook discussions to the 2020 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2020.]

Message added by tonycpsu

Henley needs to be fired ASAP - inexcusable.  He just murdered Soto.

Who’s Henley? Can we get what happened in English? Lol

Just now, TribeFoo said:

Who’s Henley? Can we get what happened in English? Lol

3B coach who put up an incredibly late stop sign while Soto was running full tilt.

• Thanks 1

RW is speculating an ankle injury. Ugh.

Nats beat guy - hopefully him putting weight on it is a good sign 

edit: and this from FP

Fantasy Impact:

Soto was held up late by the Nationals' third base coach and appeared to turn his ankle. He tried to go out to the outfield to play in the bottom of the inning but ultimately came out of the game. It's unclear how serious the injury is but the Nationals should provide more word after the game.

Edited by Tyler Durden

Seems like an iffy weekly league play, to say the least. I sure hope it's as minor as they're making it out to be, but it will be a killer if he winds up IL'd on Wednesday. Hate these decisions.

Edited by TribeFoo

17 minutes ago, TribeFoo said:

Seems like an iffy weekly league play, to say the least. I sure hope it's as minor as they're making it out to be, but it will be a killer if he winds up IL'd on Wednesday. Hate these decisions.

I’m weekly as well and feel pretty comfortable running him out there. I’m not expecting him in today. I think absolute worst case is off through Wednesday with Thursday off and then back for the weekend. But I think he’ll go.

Side note: my weekly league allows making moves only in the case of IL, to prevent these types of issues. Might be something worth proposing. 

12 minutes ago, TribeFoo said:

Decision depends on your situation..  FWIW I am in a pretty commanding 1st place lead with an easy matchup and I am benching him just to be safe. 

[League settings-related confusion and bickering removed.  If you play in a non-standard scoring format, it's on you to state that when making statements about a player's value.]

He went 4-for-4 with a walk tonight.

Juan Soto's current pace for 2019 (162-game pace in parentheses):

.293 BA

.405 OBP%

.563 SLG%

37 HR (40 HR)

109 RBI (117 RBI)

103 R (111 R)

16 SB (17 SB)

You know, just your basic 20-year-old at the major league level.

• Like 2

The best comparison I can find to this guys career.. and forgive the hyperbole.. but it’s Mickey Mantle. Mickey was just stupid good for his day as a 20 year old and he had amazing plate discipline for a younger player.  But Mick tended to strike out a lot for a player at his time.

I am going to go on a limb and say this guy is going to do crazy stupid Mickey Mantle s--- within a few years. He’s going to get stronger and improve his overall skills as nobody peaks at 20.

Possible .335/.435/580 type slash lines lay ahead with double digit speed. 

This may be his worse season of his career and he missed time earlier due to injury.

I’m thinking perennial first rounder.

• Like 6

Acuna vs Soto will be a fun rivalry to watch in the NL East for awhile

• Like 1

Strong finish will cement him as a first rounder next year in my opinion. Nothing he can't do.

On 12/4/2018 at 3:03 PM, dannyusf said:

I'm proud to start this one off. 

Juan Soto caught all of us by surprised and blessed Rotoworld Forums readers with a great fantasy baseball season, especially with you play OBP (I don't). First it started with Victor Robles getting hurt and then Howie Kendrick and a subpar performance by Michael Taylor to get a surprise promotion of the phenom after only 8 games in AA. 

To give you an idea how crazy this was for all of us on the forums to see this. Soto has never played over 45 games in a single minor league system. All of a sudden he gets called up and plays 116 games at the show. He then blessed us with amazing line drives. Tons of walks. Multi-home run games and my favorite, the opposite field home run from a lefty. 

Juan Soto hit: 77 Runs 25 Doubles 22 Home Runs 70 RBI with 79 walks to 99 strikeouts and add 5 stolen bases while batting .292 

OH and as a NINETEEN year old 

I am really curious to see what weight Soto reports as a 20-year-old and if Harper resigns with Washington or not. If he doesn't, then all of a sudden there may be a big opportunity for Soto and Rendon to take over his batting order and counting stat opportunities. 

Here are his current projections: 

Fangraphs 152 games 91 runs 28 home runs 93 RBI 7 SB with a .291 AVG

Steamer has 148 games 88 runs 28 home runs 90 RBI 7 SB with a .291 AVG

I have to say, I am loving the Home Run projection. He is easily a keeper for me although he has less value in a Standard league, but I think he will evolve into a great 4 category player with consistent average, runs, RBIs and power. 

Putting those projections to shame. 

All hail the Mighty Juan

I am a trade fanatic all year every year in my fantasy leagues. Yelich and Soto are the only two players that are truly untouchable on my dynasty team 🥰