dannyusf

Juan Soto 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2019 season will be locked on 2019-11-28. Please finish any 2019 discussions here, and take any 2020 outlook discussions to the 2020 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2020.]

Message added by tonycpsu

2 hours ago, bigbossman said:

so is he Trout-not-so-lite?

Doubt it, as I still don't think he approaches Trout-level SB production.

He's one of the top young hitters in the game, which is all that really matters in the end.

12 hours ago, bigbossman said:

so is he Trout-not-so-lite?

To me he's prime Joey Votto, except not the low power year Joey Votto, the MVP one

• Like 4

On 10/24/2019 at 4:06 AM, UberRebel said:

To me he's prime Joey Votto, except not the low power year Joey Votto, the MVP one

With the same attitude. I love this kid.

I wish the Soto-shuffle wasn't a thing, but I really love the kids skillset. Gonna be wrecking baseballs for a while.

17 hours ago, sngehl01 said:

I wish the Soto-shuffle wasn't a thing, but I really love the kids skillset. Gonna be wrecking baseballs for a while.

Why? Spices up the game.

10 minutes ago, MSkibisky said:

Why? Spices up the game.

Not everybody has the same palette. He does it, at least in part, to annoy pitchers; is it any wonder there are people that don't like it? I love it, for the record. All the better if some people find it grating; it means it probably works.

Oh, and full disclosure, I'd probably hate it if I didn't like Soto so much.

Edited by Hanghow

9 minutes ago, Hanghow said:

Not everybody has the same palette. He does it, at least in part, to annoy pitchers; is it any wonder there are people that don't like it? I love it, for the record. All the better if some people find it grating; it means it probably works.

Oh, and full disclosure, I'd probably hate it if I didn't like Soto so much.

As a former high school/D2 college/current tri-state relief pitcher .. I love when batters play games like this, just means that they are giving me the opportunity to play the same games back, and 1 of 2 things usually result. 1. They are good sports and we both have a little fun. 2. They can't take what they give and in turn, I get in THEIR head and K.

• Like 3

On 10/29/2019 at 9:10 AM, MSkibisky said:

Why? Spices up the game.

As a former little leaguer/12u all star, I hate when Soto does this.

I actually like when people "spice" up the game, so to speak, but this one thing particularly gets on my nerves.

And I really like Soto. Super envious that he's going to be a Nats for years. I rather enjoy seeing variety/tics/etc. but I do not like this one. It's too "in your face" seeming towards the pitchers. The strut I hate less than I do the half stare down he does with the pitcher.

I love Soto, just hate this.

It definitely doesn't detract from me being able to acknowledge how uber-talented he is. If I felt like Soto was going to continue to contribute 10-15 stolen bases a year I'd say there's not debate to who the best dynasty asset is. Heck, there's nearly no debate as it is.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, sngehl01 said:

I actually like when people "spice" up the game, so to speak, but this one thing particularly gets on my nerves.

And I really like Soto. Super envious that he's going to be a Nats for years. I rather enjoy seeing variety/tics/etc. but I do not like this one. It's too "in your face" seeming towards the pitchers. The strut I hate less than I do the half stare down he does with the pitcher.

It definitely doesn't detract from me being able to acknowledge how uber-talented he is. If I felt like Soto was going to continue to contribute 10-15 stolen bases a year I'd say there's not debate to who the best dynasty asset is. Heck, there's nearly no debate as it is.

Think we can expect a direct relationship between shimmy/staredown and hbp in 2020?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, MSkibisky said:

Think we can expect a direct relationship between shimmy/staredown and hbp in 2020?

I would expect a positive correlation.

• Like 1

I wish there wasn't such a negative stigma about showing emotions during a baseball game.  It's makes everything more entertaining and lively.  That is what makes the WBC such a great event.  

6 minutes ago, I like baseball said:

I wish there wasn't such a negative stigma about showing emotions during a baseball game.  It's makes everything more entertaining and lively.  That is what makes the WBC such a great event.  

In sngehl's defense, there is a huge difference between emotion and intimidation/being a punk.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sngehl01 said:

So, it's safe to assume you hated Bregman carrying his bat to first?

52 minutes ago, OaksterDan said:

So, it's safe to assume you hated Bregman carrying his bat to first?

Not sure what that has to do with anything but yes 100% a chump move. 

• Like 1

This man(boy) deserved series mvp.  

.333 avg(1st for series)

.438 obp(2nd)

.741 slg(1st)
1.179 ops(1st)

6 runs(1st)

3 hr(tied 1st)

7 rbi(3rd)

1 sb(2nd)

• Like 1

Stras was pretty good too.  No easy decisions.

Soto's plate discipline for his age is bordering on the supernatural.  As I said in another thread, there are no limits to his upside for 2020.

• Like 3

On 10/30/2019 at 8:54 AM, sngehl01 said:

"Get off my lawn!" :)

Edited by 2ndCitySox
  • Haha 1

On 10/31/2019 at 1:29 PM, kenag122002 said:

um..

Not in fantasy. But IRL, maybe. It's kind of like a prime Soriano vs Miggy debate.

11 hours ago, sleepysock said:

Not in fantasy. But IRL, maybe. It's kind of like a prime Soriano vs Miggy debate.

Oh okay.

Here I thought I was in the fantasy baseball talk board.  My bad!  Carry on.

;);) 

Edited by kenag122002