Sign in to follow this  
Mathew Berry

COMMISH TRADE VETO DECISION

I hope this is the right place to post this... I'm commish of a competitive 12 team league with 6 teams in playoffs.  This week is the first round.

A trade was just accepted.  (Between 6th place and 12th place).  How the settings had the trade deadline removed I have no idea but I am fairly confident a trade should not happen on the eve of playoffs, let alone a trade between 6th and 12th.  Important to note that 12th place does have to avoid a loser's trophy, but that still should not impact the actual playoffs.

The trade:

Gus edwards (6th place team bench)

Josh adams (6th place team bench)

Tyler Locket (6th place WR2)

JUJU Smith-schuster (12th place WR1) 

We typically judge trades on whether each team fills a need and a benefit which technically, they achieve.  6th place team is unloading his bench that he may not need to stack his starting lineup for the playoffs.  12th place team fills his 12th place worthy roster.  But again, This is the eve of playoffs and not mid-season.  2 teams benefit but I see a potential negative impact on others.   We vote on everything but I also have a responsibility to maintain the integrity of the league.  Looking for some input that I will consider, thanks!

This should deff be a Veto you needed to make sure the trade deadline was set up. Once playoffs are set it should be too late for trades, especially between 6 and 12. Avoiding a losers trophy is no excuse to possibly make decisions that will determine your league Champion.

58 minutes ago, Mathew Berry said:

I hope this is the right place to post this... I'm commish of a competitive 12 team league with 6 teams in playoffs.  This week is the first round.

A trade was just accepted.  (Between 6th place and 12th place).  How the settings had the trade deadline removed I have no idea but I am fairly confident a trade should not happen on the eve of playoffs, let alone a trade between 6th and 12th.  Important to note that 12th place does have to avoid a loser's trophy, but that still should not impact the actual playoffs.

The trade:

Gus edwards (6th place team bench)

Josh adams (6th place team bench)

Tyler Locket (6th place WR2)

JUJU Smith-schuster (12th place WR1) 

We typically judge trades on whether each team fills a need and a benefit which technically, they achieve.  6th place team is unloading his bench that he may not need to stack his starting lineup for the playoffs.  12th place team fills his 12th place worthy roster.  But again, This is the eve of playoffs and not mid-season.  2 teams benefit but I see a potential negative impact on others.   We vote on everything but I also have a responsibility to maintain the integrity of the league.  Looking for some input that I will consider, thanks!

Three things here...

1. It is crazy that there are still trades allowed in this league, at this stage of the season. 

2. However, you are the commish and it was your responsibility to ensure settings were correct, back when the league was set up. Changing the rules now is not fair to owners that understood there to be no trade deadline. You should not make a change to this trade, as you need to live with your mistake. And then for next year, make sure you put a trade deadline in and let everyone know.

3. It's not really an unfair trade. Across the past month, Lockett has been almost as good as JuJu, with each of them having 3 good games. Of course JuJu is better overall, but when you consider that Gus and Adams are both useful RB's, the 12th place owner seems to be getting a trio that can help his team (you mentioned he still has something to play for). So I don't see an issue for the trade itself, and you have not mentioned any perception of collusion (which is really the only reason to veto trades). 

Edited by Corleone
  • Like 1

Was a trade deadline agreed upon by everyone/a majority in the league and then simply not accurately set, or never discussed at all? For instance, our league agreed on November 10th as the deadline, and it wouldn't matter if one was somehow proposed/accepted thereafter - it would cancelled. If not, I don't think there is any way this can be vetoed.

First, the 12th place team is technically still playing for something - I know I wouldn't want the loser's trophy. Second, the trade is not only fair but favors the Gus/Adams/Lockett side. If the 6th place team wants to unload his bench to stack his starting lineup for the playoffs, that's his decision. And if he's truly "unloading his bench", he's taking a big risk. I think he deserves to be rewarded for it. Letting the trade go through and changing the rules/settings next season is what will maintain the integrity of the league.

• Like 2

Why didn’t you just announce to the league  that there would be no more trades?  It’s a fair trade, but nobody should be trading this late in the season.  

Trades looks fine, you noted 12th is still playing for something. No issue for me.

Set up a trade deadline next year.

Opinions are all across the board as expected but the most consistent notion was that there shouldn't be trades at this point in time.  thanks all~

4 minutes ago, Mathew Berry said:

Opinions are all across the board as expected but the most consistent notion was that there shouldn't be trades at this point in time.  thanks all~

Yes.

But the consensus isn't that you should retroactively add a trading deadline.

There is a big difference.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jwk1325 said:

Was a trade deadline agreed upon by everyone/a majority in the league and then simply not accurately set, or never discussed at all? For instance, our league agreed on November 10th as the deadline, and it wouldn't matter if one was somehow proposed/accepted thereafter - it would cancelled. If not, I don't think there is any way this can be vetoed.

First, the 12th place team is technically still playing for something - I know I wouldn't want the loser's trophy. Second, the trade is not only fair but favors the Gus/Adams/Lockett side. If the 6th place team wants to unload his bench to stack his starting lineup for the playoffs, that's his decision. And if he's truly "unloading his bench", he's taking a big risk. I think he deserves to be rewarded for it. Letting the trade go through and changing the rules/settings next season is what will maintain the integrity of the league.

^

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mathew Berry said:

5 hours ago, dmb3684 said:

Yes.

But the consensus isn't that you should retroactively add a trading deadline.

There is a big difference.

Agreed with @dmb3684.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mathew Berry said:

Unfortunately, this response kind of makes it seem like there was a particular answer that you were looking/hoping to get...  

Its idiotic that a league allows trades at this point in a redraft.  Your commish f'd up.  But since you do allow trades and have a losers bracket it has to go through.