AnonymousRob

Walker Buehler 2019 Outlook

10 hours ago, B&F said:

Agree.  At the same time there is that data out there by I forget who that shows a significant increase in innings is a cause for concern the following season.

Are you thinking of the Verducci Effect? I think many posters have debunked that idea in these forums.

• Like 1

Apparently according to Ken Gurnick there was some issue with Walker early on in camp which has been resolved. So far, not much info on the issue.

Edited by MrBrett

Los Angeles Dodgers starting pitcher Walker Buehler will pitch in a Cactus League spring game Monday or Tuesday, manager Dave Roberts said. The team has been bringing Buehler along slowly during camp, trying to preserve him for the season. Buehler said he plans to be able to pitch without restrictions once the regular season starts. He said he has been dealing with "just kind of hangover stuff from last year" at the beginning of camp. He could very well end up taking the torch from Clayton Kershaw, serving as the Opening Day starter. Barring any injuries, Buehler has some top-20 fantasy potential at his position, and he could perhaps move even higher in the rankings by season's end

How do we feel about this guy as we get closer to OD? Buelher said he's dealing with "just kind of hangover stuff from last year". Were there any reports about arm issues before camp started? Hate seeing such vague info.

Only thing I'm worried about is an innings limit with him down the stretch to preserve him for the playoffs. Other than that, love this kid. 

10 hours ago, OrangeCrush said:

Los Angeles Dodgers starting pitcher Walker Buehler will pitch in a Cactus League spring game Monday or Tuesday, manager Dave Roberts said. The team has been bringing Buehler along slowly during camp, trying to preserve him for the season. Buehler said he plans to be able to pitch without restrictions once the regular season starts. He said he has been dealing with "just kind of hangover stuff from last year" at the beginning of camp. He could very well end up taking the torch from Clayton Kershaw, serving as the Opening Day starter. Barring any injuries, Buehler has some top-20 fantasy potential at his position, and he could perhaps move even higher in the rankings by season's end

How do we feel about this guy as we get closer to OD? Buelher said he's dealing with "just kind of hangover stuff from last year". Were there any reports about arm issues before camp started? Hate seeing such vague info.

Haven't heard of any injuries, just an innings limit, which we all hate to see.

I feel he is the Dodges Ace this year, taking the torch from Kershaw. I see maybe 16 wins, low ERA around 2.5'ish, and a ton of K's.

Seems like the people in this topic are higher on him than some people in the industry.

Sporer, a guy I respect a lot who runs the Sleeper and the Bust podcast over at fangraphs has his rankings out: https://fantasy.fangraphs.com/2019-starting-pitcher-rankings/

He has Walker ranked 16 behind Strasburg, Kershaw, Clevinger, Carrasco, etc.

I definitely see the opposition to Walker... the risk of innings limits, injuries, and the Dodgers way, but man, I am drinking the cool aid and see him as a SP1 top 10 pitcher this year.

• Like 3

Anyone gauging his current cost with the injury issue?

In 1 auctions he was $18 and $20 recently

4 minutes ago, rotoguy74 said:

His current cost should be what it's always been.  There's no indication that the team was doing anything more than babying him really (he didn't feel right, but there was no injury), and he's going to be ready for the regular season.

On 3/14/2019 at 6:12 PM, CrypTviLL said:

Seems like the people in this topic are higher on him than some people in the industry.

Sporer, a guy I respect a lot who runs the Sleeper and the Bust podcast over at fangraphs has his rankings out: https://fantasy.fangraphs.com/2019-starting-pitcher-rankings/

I definitely see the opposition to Walker... the risk of innings limits, injuries, and the Dodgers way, but man, I am drinking the cool aid and see him as a SP1 top 10 pitcher this year.

Hes absolutely electric. Excellent breaking ball, 97 with elite control.  Stud

• Like 1

I really love this guys stuff, and barring injury, he's going to be an SP1 for a long time.  I do have some slight concerns with fatigue later in the season due to the really large jump in innings for him last season.  He had under 100 ip in 2017, and last year pitched well over 150 plus the playoffs. Every arm is different, and some guys are immune to the big jumps in ip, so it could be a total non issue.  Outside of this the talent is off the charts good.

Is this guy going to be rusty the first month?  He hasn't thrown at all.

56 minutes ago, B&F said:

Is this guy going to be rusty the first month?  He hasn't thrown at all.

No. He’s a flat out monster. 

• Like 1

On 3/24/2019 at 9:27 AM, rotoguy74 said:

12 team mixed auction on Saturday night he went 38

On 12/17/2018 at 11:56 PM, jfazz23 said:

same.  im actually thinking about making buehler an SP1 on at least 1 redraft team this year.  going hitters in the first 3 rounds and then getting him in the 4th.

just concerned about innings limit...

gonna have to say i might be changing my mind.  i already drafted and i dont own buehler on any team.  i dont doubt his skill but it seems like he may be babied by LAD more than i thought.  im actually glad i waited a round or so and have a lot of teams with Corbin/Clevinger or Clevinger/Flahery or wheeler/marquez

edit: i own him in 1 out of 5 redrafts

Edited by jfazz23

On 3/14/2019 at 4:12 PM, CrypTviLL said:

Ive listened to a lot of SATB this offseason - never really heard him say he was anti-Buehler, but has been pretty consistent going back to the playoffs he thought there would be inflation and maybe overpriced/overdrafted given the injury risk and what he refers to as Dodger-itus.  I have seen some tweets and such that he has no problem with people taking him around the 10 spot as a backend SP1.   Little surprised to see Strasburg ahead of him given his injury history, given Paul's comments all offseason not surprised to see guys like Taillon and Clevinger ahead of him he has pumped them up all offseason.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, parrothead said:

Ive listened to a lot of SATB this offseason - never really heard him say he was anti-Buehler, but has been pretty consistent going back to the playoffs he thought there would be inflation and maybe overpriced/overdrafted given the injury risk and what he refers to as Dodger-itus.  I have seen some tweets and such that he has no problem with people taking him around the 10 spot as a backend SP1.   Little surprised to see Strasburg ahead of him given his injury history, given Paul's comments all offseason not surprised to see guys like Taillon and Clevinger ahead of him he has pumped them up all offseason.

Yup very good summarization of his stance and a fair way to evaluate buehler this year

Just now, colepenhagen said:

don't panic this  was like a ST start. 

Frustrated and disappointed given how things have gone for my pitching so far and how he had what should have been an easy Win, but I second what you said.

Not sure what the issue was in Spring Training with him, but this goes to prove that they were too cautious with him.  He had no breaking balls.

Just now, KilloWertz said:

Frustrated and disappointed given how things have gone for my pitching so far and how he had what should have been an easy Win, but I second what you said.

Not sure what the issue was in Spring Training with him, but this goes to prove that they were too cautious with him.  He had no breaking balls.

Spring Training as in he didn't have spring training so he's a bit behind the 8-ball. 

4 minutes ago, taobball said:

Spring Training as in he didn't have spring training so he's a bit behind the 8-ball. 

Don't quite understand this response as I never questioned anything the person said about Spring Training.  I was agreeing with the person and commenting on how the team probably took it too easy on him and that he wasn't ready for the season...

Oh well.  There will be much better starts soon enough as this does nothing to change the fact that he's a legit SP1 and probably the best young SP in baseball.

• Like 1

I guess since he's still in spring training mode then the next start at Coors is an easy bench

He is not immune from clunkers...just seemed like he couldnt get any secondary pitches going today.  Hershisher was commenting on how his curve, which is a "spike" curve grip generally is a little tougher to put guys away.  Bottom line when MLB hitters know you are a 1-pitch pitcher - you are gonna get hit.  

I would not start him the first month.