AnonymousRob

Bryce Harper 2019 Outlook

34 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

They are both money grubbing players.. 

You are damn right ... This sign is all about money. Bryce doesn’t care what city he calls home, all he cares about is his paycheck. Congrats to Bryce for hitting jackpot 

It's funny that many believe this ISN'T about the money.  LOL

ya i think it was a great signing by philly.  25 aav is awesome for philly.  hes only make like 2 mil more than jacoby ellsbury this year!!!

but its clearly the biggest offer harper got, purely about the money,  harper probably hates Stanton.  if yanks didnt get stanton, i think harper gets 400 mil

9 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

ya i think it was a great signing by philly.  25 aav is awesome for philly.  hes only make like 2 mil more than jacoby ellsbury this year!!!

but its clearly the biggest offer harper got, purely about the money,  harper probably hates Stanton.  if yanks didnt get stanton, i think harper gets 400 mil

I think the Yankees would trade Stanton straight up for Harper in half a second.

• Like 1

Just now, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

I think the Yankees would trade Stanton straight up for Harper in half a second.

so do i.  they would throw in estevan florial and a top a ball pitching prospect

I don’t necessarily disagree that Harper was aiming for the most money. 

I do think he chose Philly for the opportunity though. I think he wants to win now.   

I’m not convinced he couldn’t have ended up getting a similar deal from the NL West teams. It would have taken a larger deal though to sway him away from philly. 

Nice to see the end of this thread for a bit

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

I don’t necessarily disagree that Harper was aiming for the most money. 

I do think he chose Philly for the opportunity though. I think he wants to win now.   

I’m not convinced he couldn’t have ended up getting a similar deal from the NL West teams. It would have taken a larger deal though to sway him away from philly. 

Win now? Have you seen their rotation? Win in a couple years maybe.

27 minutes ago, Stickfig13 said:

Win now? Have you seen their rotation? Win in a couple years maybe.

Who knows what Middleton divulged to Harper (maybe they plan to get pitching). Who’s to say they still don’t sign a good FA or two short term. 

And yes I think they can win now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Who knows what Middleton divulged to Harper (maybe they plan to get pitching). Who’s to say they still don’t sign a good FA or two short term. 

And yes I think they can win now. 

I'm quite sure Harper and Middleton are already texting Keuchel.

• Like 2

If what @jonmorosi is saying is accurate, then the all about money argument doesnt hold weight. 

"In Bryce Harper talks, I am told #Dodgers were willing to offer a four-year deal worth approximately $45 million per season. That would have allowed Harper to shatter the all-time AAV record and become a free agent at age 30."

^^^ This would have been the move if it was 100% about the money. 

Not sure if anyone has used this in the past but Harper is now the favorite to win NL MVP according to Vegas at 6 to 1.   Anyone taking him top 5 now? 

1 hour ago, SkinsNoles21 said:

If what @jonmorosi is saying is accurate, then the all about money argument doesnt hold weight. 

"In Bryce Harper talks, I am told #Dodgers were willing to offer a four-year deal worth approximately $45 million per season. That would have allowed Harper to shatter the all-time AAV record and become a free agent at age 30."

^^^ This would have been the move if it was 100% about the money. 

Leaving 150M on the table after the CBA is likely to change when he is next FA? Not so sure about that.

Edited by Slatykamora
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, lavaman said:

It's funny that many believe this ISN'T about the money.  LOL

What job isn't about compensation? Seriously, your focus on money being a consideration for a profession is about as basic of an economic concept as there can be. Worker with skill provides a service and is compensated for it. This is across the board. This extends to non-profits as well. What exactly are you trying to get at with your posts and what exactly would you have wanted Harper to do instead? If the deal was 13/320 would you have these same feelings?

13 hours ago, lavaman said:

Pure insanity.

What is insane about this per at-bat breakdown? Insane that the business of baseball has grown to this extent? Insane that baseball's reach, growth, marketing, distribution, etc. allows for these salaries to be paid to players? Or insane that players can make this amount and still be exploited? Whenever a worker provides more value than their compensation they are exploited. That is just the fact of capitalism if you remove emotion from the equation. Is it insane that the business model allows owners to continue to profit? Is it insane that there are people that support the product and allow for these salaries? So what is insane to you? 

15 hours ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

I was taking more about the "recruiting" players comment.

Whose he gonna recruit?

Anyone that is available. He just became an ambassador for the Philadelphia Phillies and the city. He can speak on everything from the management, culture, lifestyle, schools, etc. He goes to the All Star game and talks to everyone. He can "recruit" all of the existing Phillies to sign extensions. Arguing this concept seems very thin. Why wouldn't someone want to join up with a competitive team if they knew the cornerstone player was committed for the foreseeable future? Just think of it this way....Who has the higher likelihood to recruit a free agent next season? Trout in his walk year with the Angels or Bryce and 12 years left on his contract with the Phillies? Which team do you expect to be more stable in the future and where you want to compete? Which team would you choose? And if you choose money remember to factor the CA taxes that results in you taking a lower salary to net more in Philly. 

• Like 6

I am a Phillies fan. I knew it would be about the most money and I was ok with that. Money was the thing that the Phillies had the most of.

9 minutes ago, thezing1 said:

What job isn't about compensation? Seriously, your focus on money being a consideration for a profession is about as basic of an economic concept as there can be. Worker with skill provides a service and is compensated for it. This is across the board. This extends to non-profits as well. What exactly are you trying to get at with your posts and what exactly would you have wanted Harper to do instead? If the deal was 13/320 would you have these same feelings?

What is insane about this per at-bat breakdown? Insane that the business of baseball has grown to this extent? Insane that baseball's reach, growth, marketing, distribution, etc. allows for these salaries to be paid to players? Or insane that players can make this amount and still be exploited? Whenever a worker provides more value than their compensation they are exploited. That is just the fact of capitalism if you remove emotion from the equation. Is it insane that the business model allows owners to continue to profit? Is it insane that there are people that support the product and allow for these salaries? So what is insane to you? 

Anyone that is available. He just became an ambassador for the Philadelphia Phillies and the city. He can speak on everything from the management, culture, lifestyle, schools, etc. He goes to the All Star game and talks to everyone. He can "recruit" all of the existing Phillies to sign extensions. Arguing this concept seems very thin. Why wouldn't someone want to join up with a competitive team if they knew the cornerstone player was committed for the foreseeable future? Just think of it this way....Who has the higher likelihood to recruit a free agent next season? Trout in his walk year with the Angels or Bryce and 12 years left on his contract with the Phillies? Which team do you expect to be more stable in the future and where you want to compete? Which team would you choose? And if you choose money remember to factor the CA taxes that results in you taking a lower salary to net more in Philly. 

Trout is going to Philly. Mark that down. This is all by design. 

Can someone just post the grandpa simpson gif in this thread? I would be but technologically challenged. 

Speaking to the actual fantasy impact, think the argument could me made for a 1st round pick in points leagues. Based on low k, counting stats, and power potential.

19 minutes ago, thezing1 said:

What job isn't about compensation?

What is insane about this per at-bat breakdown?  So what is insane to you? 

I think most folks don't understand it like a serious fan or someone that researches this stuff and puts it into perspective. A lot of people see the "per AB $45k" thing and compare it to "regular" people.

How many families' ANNUAL household income or individual income are equal to or less than Byrce's PER AB compensation? That's what seems "insane" on the surface.

But a lot of those same folks go to games, watch MLB on tv, etc. What are they going to do just stop loving baseball and boycott MLB? I guess they could.

Again it's like any other business, I know a guy who works in sales and makes about 10x what a customer service rep makes. Is that fair? Maybe, maybe not depending on the situation and how you spin it. And if the company brings in more revenue, that sales rep will make even more and if he's selling more and the company makes more, he should right? It's capitalism. Not always "fair" in some peoples' eyes. One might argue that if the teams are making billions and bringing in more and more revenue that it should be given back to the fans in reducing ticket/food/etc. prices, or paying their "regular" employees more, etc. instead of paying the players 300+ mill.

I'm not saying I know what is right or wrong in these cases, just thinking out loud.

Edited by Members_Only_76

8 minutes ago, Stickfig13 said:

Trout is going to Philly. Mark that down. This is all by design. 

I like where your heads at. Mike Trout might be the most popular current baseball player in the City of Philadelphia now that Chase Utley has retired. There will be tremendous organizational pressure to be there in the bidding and the Phillies only have about 85 million in commitments after 2020 with Nola, Hoskins, Segura, Kingery, Harper, Cutch, and a couple other assets accounted for.

• Like 1

Just now, High&Inside said:

Can someone just post the grandpa simpson gif in this thread? I would be but technologically challenged. 

giphy.gif

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Del Rio said:

Decent projections from TheBat for Harper this year

harper.png

I think it's plausible if he gets to the ABs. 

7 minutes ago, Del Rio said:

Decent projections from TheBat for Harper this year

harper.png

He could do it in 1,028 AB. Haha 

• Like 1

I thought the Grandpa GIF was going to be "Old Man Yells at Cloud." 

don't think harper will make it back to the trout owner now that hes in philly

still think acuna and judge should go before harper. lindor as well if we don't hear anything about a setback.

I like harpers upside more than bregmans

37 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

I thought the Grandpa GIF was going to be "Old Man Yells at Cloud." 

we got that too

tenor.gif?itemid=12558964