AnonymousRob

Bryce Harper 2019 Outlook

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 3:11 PM, lavaman said:

Are you willing to spend a 1st or 2nd round draft pick on that possibility??

Yes, obviously. As are managers in literally every single fantasy league this year.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Eddie Mush said:

Would ya'll go as far as taking Harper 7th overall?

I got him ranked 11th

4 hours ago, Roto4500 said:

Yes, obviously. As are managers in literally every single fantasy league this year.

All I'm saying is 'how' confident are you in doing so? Is it just because of the record contract he signed? Does that make one want to draft him higher than they normally would?

17 minutes ago, lavaman said:

All I'm saying is 'how' confident are you in doing so? Is it just because of the record contract he signed? Does that make one want to draft him higher than they normally would?

I think it has to do more with the home ball park, the team he is on... in a redraft im looking to take him 6th overall if jose ramirez or jd martinez dont fall to me. If harper had gone to sf or maybe even the padres, I wouldn’t even have thought about drafting him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eddie Mush said:

Would ya'll go as far as taking Harper 7th overall?

For sure ... in OBP leagues I might even take him 3rd spot 

• Like 1

I don't think they should limit the shift.  I'd love to see Bryce change his approach at the plate though to take advantage of how he's being played.  I totally understand players not wanting to adjust their swing but he's talented enough to still get it done.

1 hour ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

Harper stole a bag tonight if that's of any interest to anyone 

spacer.png

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, legia13 said:

Just got drilled in the ankle by a fastball.  Looked to be in a lot of pain. Left the game. 

Aaargghh!! It's too soon to have to play the game of refreshing a beat writer's twitter account every 30 seconds to find out if your star fantasy player broke a bone or not.

13 minutes ago, legia13 said:

Just got drilled in the ankle by a fastball.  Looked to be in a lot of pain. Left the game. 

Aaaaaaaaaand.....  scene.

Dude obviously lost control of the pitch. 

As a life long Phillies fan I am excited to see what damage he can do in CBP with a revamped lineup. 

This is a little word to the wise, and he may well be fine... but going into your drafts, but cautious in taking Harper.  Stress fractures are not first detected in initial x-rays. He could have a stress fracture and we won't know about it unless they take an MRI. And before anyone tries to argue with me, 1. I won't respond, and 2. this is just my two cents I'm throwing out there.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Trexpenniebaker said:

Trent Thornton: Got death threats already. 

That’s one of the worst windups I’ve ever seen in my life.  That guy could harm a lot of players with how putrid that s*** is.  There’s like 90 moving parts in that abomination.  

• Like 3

Very Polarizing Player.

You've heard of the AAAA prospect? Harper seems to be that 1 1/2 round pick.  Too inconsistent for the 1st round, but too full of potential to let hm slide to the 2nd.

I think some people are forgetting just how good he was in 2017.Before he got hurt he did have a .300 + batting Average with a boat load of Hrs and counting stats.  he's only 26 years old.  His overall performance has been spotty but just about nobody hits when they are 18 or 19 years old. The last 4 years have produced two Amazing years, two mediocre years but one of those years he still hit over 30 Hrs.  Now he's enetering a good hitter's park in the prime of his age.

If Harper goes in Auction below $40 I think you have to roll the dice.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Picard56 said:

This is a little word to the wise, and he may well be fine... but going into your drafts, but cautious in taking Harper.  Stress fractures are not first detected in initial x-rays. He could have a stress fracture and we won't know about it unless they take an MRI. And before anyone tries to argue with me, 1. I won't respond, and 2. this is just my two cents I'm throwing out there.

'I won't argue.  But the proof of the severity of the injury will lie in how well he plays the next 2 weeks.  A stress fracture should cause enough pain to prevent him from hitting his full stride..so if he hits well next week, you got to assume he's good to go.

20 minutes ago, KingJoffrey said:

'I won't argue.  But the proof of the severity of the injury will lie in how well he plays the next 2 weeks.  A stress fracture should cause enough pain to prevent him from hitting his full stride..so if he hits well next week, you got to assume he's good to go.

i might be totally wrong, but arent stress fractures caused by... "stress"? meaning their own body, not necessarily trauma like a hit by pitch? 

48 minutes ago, NoHablaIngles said:

i might be totally wrong, but arent stress fractures caused by... "stress"? meaning their own body, not necessarily trauma like a hit by pitch? 

Yes, you are correct. He may potentially return to the lineup tomorrow so crisis most likely averted. Here's the definition of a stress fracture:

Stress fractures are tiny cracks in a bone. They're caused by repetitive force, often from overuse — such as repeatedly jumping up and down or running long distances. Stress fractures can also arise from normal use of a bone that's weakened by a condition such as osteoporosis.

Stress fractures are most common in the weight-bearing bones of the lower leg and foot. Track and field athletes and military recruits who carry heavy packs over long distances are particularly susceptible, but anyone can have a stress fracture. If you start a new exercise program, for example, you might develop stress fractures if you do too much too soon.

I wouldn't spend a 1st on him. A 2nd depending on who's still on the board i where he should go.