AnonymousRob

Bryce Harper 2019 Outlook

13 minutes ago, NoHablaIngles said:

anyone notice a stance change today? looked real nice. less moving parts to his swing

At first I was gonna say 'it looks exactly as it always has...' but after seeing his two homers on mlb.com again, his swing looked a little more quiet, if that made any sense.

11 hours ago, Picard56 said:

At first I was gonna say 'it looks exactly as it always has...' but after seeing his two homers on mlb.com again, his swing looked a little more quiet, if that made any sense.

Makes a lot of sense. My kids and the kids I coach probably get tired of hearing me talk about quiet hands and quiet swings. Lol. It’s just trying to remove all the unnecessary movements that can affect timing from of a swing. 

But my kids aren’t Bryce Harper either. Lol!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mrfrood said:

Well that didn't go so well. Hopefully first game jitters. 

Perfect first game. A lot less pressure off his back knowing the rest of the team can pick up his slack. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jspeco9 said:

Perfect first game. A lot less pressure off his back knowing the rest of the team can pick up his slack. 

And he already heard his first Philly boos

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, jspeco9 said:

Yup. Walking Harper to load the bases to bring Rhys up for the Grand Slam that basically won the game is everything I could've asked for from a Harper debut. Sure, he didn't have a crazy stat game, but hard to argue the impact. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, adifazio27 said:

Yup. Walking Harper to load the bases to bring Rhys up for the Grand Slam that basically won the game is everything I could've asked for from a Harper debut. Sure, he didn't have a crazy stat game, but hard to argue the impact. 

This is sarcasm right?

I'm not good at telling online.

6 minutes ago, itslarry said:

This is sarcasm right?

I'm not good at telling online.

No, really. It doesn't do anything for us for fantasy admittedly, but it was great to see as a fan. Probably should've clarified that in the post. 

• Like 3

He's really loving this new team. Looks really happy and comfortable. Looking forward to 40 HR MVP season.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

I wish it was off Max that would be epic. Off Hellickson makes it funny still.  But Hellickson is the head chef at the meat piping department.  Off Max could of caused some big time hurt feelers!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jspeco9 said:

He's really loving this new team. Looks really happy and comfortable. Looking forward to 40 HR MVP season.

Learn April Bryce.

• Like 1

I've seen this sort of torrid April from Harper before:

April 2017: .391/.509/.772 with 32 Runs, 9 HR, 26 RBI

April 2016: .286/.406/.714 with 16 runs, 9 HR, 24 RBI

April 2013: .344/.430/.720 with 18 runs, 9 HR, 18 RBI

It's the tantalizing possibility that Harper puts it together for an entire season (which he has really only done once, in 2015 when he was National League MVP) that has me drooling. 

Just for reference, his 2015 line:

.330/.460/.649 with 118 runs, 42 HR, 99 RBI

He seems genuinely happy/comfortable in Philly. I believe the change of scenery and the certainty of his future could unlock the best from Harper. Giddy up!

• Like 4

The upside has always been the best hitter in baseball, which he proved in 2015. The question has always been consistency and health.Hopefully he can stay healthy and not go through one of those completely brutal stretches this year. Everyone slumps, but he sometimes goes through stretches where he's one of the worst hitters in the game.

2015 had his second lowest swinging strike% and his highest pull tendency. The protection in this lineup is the best he's ever had which should only benefit his plate discipline

CBP is built for his pull tendency, custom made for his approach. He's already delivered on this, and this will only improve with the Summer weather, when CBP becomes a launching pad.

There's nothing in the scenario that says he can't best 2015's numbers, though I'm not sure the average will ever reach that level. 

Edited by High&Inside
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, High&Inside said:

2015 had his second lowest swinging strike% and his highest pull tendency. The protection in this lineup is the best he's ever had which should only benefit his plate discipline

CBP is built for his pull tendency, custom made for his approach. He's already delivered on this, and this will only improve with the Summer weather, when CBP becomes a launching pad.

There's nothing in the scenario that says he can't best 2015's numbers, though I'm not sure the average will ever reach that level. 

Plus there isn't anyone there ready to choke him for "baseball reasons"!