AnonymousRob

Bryce Harper 2019 Outlook

1 minute ago, Stickfig13 said:

Hes a great player. No doubt about it. My only point is that a 13 year deal will be dead at the end. Regardless of how much $25mil means in future money. 

Sorry you guys didn't get him. But hating this deal that is pretty much getting approval from everyone is revealing your jealousy.

• Like 1

Just now, Backdoor Slider said:

ARod. The Yanks won a championship. 

That said, many of the long-terms were given out closer to 30. Bryce is 26. 

The last 5 years of the deal were dead money. 

1 minute ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

Sorry you guys didn't get him. But hating this deal that is pretty much getting approval from everyone is revealing your jealousy.

Not jealous at all. I just don’t think Bryce Harper should be the highest paid player in the game based on his actual performance. That’s my only bias here. 

Giants have nothing to do with it. 

Just now, Stickfig13 said:

The last 5 years of the deal were dead money. 

You asked which of them worked. That one did.

But again I’d counter, you tell me which previous long term deal was given at age 26? You don’t think that likely means less dead years at the end?

Hes a great player. No doubt about it. My only point is that a 13 year deal will be dead at the end. Regardless of how much $25mil means in future money. 

Do you think the Phillies front office isn't aware of that, or that the other clubs bidding for his services weren't aware for that?  Every star player wants clubs to pay for their twilight years.  The clubs do it because they're star players.  They all know how to amortize the "dead money" going to those last few years across the productive years to figure out whether what they're paying for is worth it, including on-the-field performance, merchandising, getting other top-shelf free agents to sign, increased TV viewership (the team has a very large stake in the regional sports network)...  All of that adds up to the exact guy you *don't* want to use for the "all long-term deals are bad" hobby horse.

• Like 2

Not jealous at all. I just don’t think Bryce Harper should be the highest paid player in the game based on his actual performance. That’s my only bias here. 

His AAV is 14th now. Try again 

• Like 1

Just now, Stickfig13 said:

He’s not. 14th highest in AAV. Greinke currently highest paid baseball player in the game, per year. Did you rail on about it in his thread? 

9 minutes ago, Stickfig13 said:

Don’t dance around the question. What long-term deal has worked out well at the end? 

He’s on the books for 13 years. You really think even a 35 year old Harper is gonna be a good investment at $25mil a year? 

Well the NL is suppose to adopt the DH in the next 2 or 3 years they said so he can ease into that at the end. 

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

He’s not. 14th highest in AAV. Greinke currently highest paid baseball player in the game, per year. Did you rail on about it in his thread? 

Largest total deal. I said nothing about that in this thread. 

11 minutes ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

His AAV is 14th now. Try again 

Largest total deal. You know what I’m getting at. 

I’m saying that he’s not even a top 10 player in the game. If we like WAR then he has finished in the top 10 exactly once in his career. His MVP year. 

The argument about his intangible value adding to his value is real. Phillies will make boats of cash off his image and persona. From that perspective this deal is perfect. 

Edited by Stickfig13

35 minutes ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

25 mil... and it can't end as bad as the Posey, Longoria, Cueto, and Samardjia deals NOW.

I can’t wait for the first WTF are we paying this guy that amount of money...

2 minutes ago, Stickfig13 said:

Largest total deal. You know what I’m getting at. 

I’m saying that he’s not even a top 10 player in the game. If we like WAR then he has finished in the top 10 exactly once in his career. His MVP year. 

The argument about his intangible value adding to his value is real. Phillies will make boats of cash off his image and persona. From that perspective this deal is perfect. 

As a baseball lover, I hate to say it, but who cares? You said it, the deal is perfect.

The business (Philly) is trying to do what's best for business. Period.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Well the NL is suppose to adopt the DH in the next 2 or 3 years they said so he can ease into that at the end. 

Suppose to...is the key. 

Not super front loaded but a bit. And 26 is manageable to keep adding while the window is open.

20 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

As a baseball lover, I hate to say it, but who cares? You said it, the deal is perfect.

The business (Philly) is trying to do what's best for business. Period.

Your absolutely right.

we had low attendance last year but Harper signing will defintely put butts in the seats. 

2 minutes ago, Under500Forever said:

Your absolutely right.

we had low attendance last year but Harper signing will defintely put butts in the seats. 

Bryce Harper is good business 

• Like 1

Boras on no opt-outs in Harper's 13/$330M deal: "He wanted to go to one city, stay there, build a brand and identity and recruit players. He wants to tell players: come play with me. He knows it will help winning more if he's with one team the whole time."

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Stickfig13 said:

Bryce Harper is good business 

I’m told Giants made a 12-year, $310 million offer to Bryce Harper. They were willing to go higher but would have had to go well over $330 million to get it done because of California taxes.

It seems like he wanted to go to Philly after all.

I like it. Shows me he wanted to win even if it wasn't a "sexy" place to live and closer to Vegas home.

13 minutes ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

Boras on no opt-outs in Harper's 13/$330M deal: "He wanted to go to one city, stay there, build a brand and identity and recruit players. He wants to tell players: come play with me. He knows it will help winning more if he's with one team the whole time."

BS...Harper went there because it was the biggest deal. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stickfig13 said:

you don't think there's a correlation between the fact that the Phillies are killing it this offseason and have the best chance to be a winning/playoff team?

1 minute ago, Members_Only_76 said:

you don't think there's a correlation between the fact that the Phillies are killing it this offseason and have the best chance to be a winning/playoff team?

Trading for the guy he begged the Nats to get last year Realmuto. Had nothing to do with it. At all

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stickfig13 said:

lpIATLe.gif

He wants to build a brand and it's much easier to build a brand when you're winning.  Sure it may still be all about the money, but there's more to the money than just the contract.

• Like 2