brockpapersizer

Kyle Tucker 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2020.]

Message added by tonycpsu

Well that Brantley signing wasn’t ideal, but I’m a firm believer that these sort of things creating a buying opportunity. Really hope they don’t trade him to Miami for Realmuto though.

Either way , Tucker is either good or he isnt , Brantley isn’t going to change that. Excellent chance someone in their OF gets hurt (especially Brantley ) and 1b/dh aren't locked in stone by anyone amazing.  

Tucker is probably more difficult to own in shallower leagues but he's going to have value at some point in 2019. His k rate and walk rate were fine in his struggles last year in the bigs and his babip was comically low.

I'd be buying low in dynasty/keeper if the Brantley move disturbs the Tucker owner.

The guy who owns him as a minor leaguer in my main league is keeper -poor and I have some excess keepers, this might actually help get a deal done (assuming not dealt to Fish).  

Seems like either the Astros are planning to move Reddick or Tucker can be had for the right price. I'd like to think with a strong spring Tucker can crack the starting lineup if Reddick is traded. Count me in as a distraught dynasty owner...lol.

1 hour ago, TribeFoo said:

Seems like either the Astros are planning to move Reddick or Tucker can be had for the right price. I'd like to think with a strong spring Tucker can crack the starting lineup if Reddick is traded. Count me in as a distraught dynasty owner...lol.

Im not really distraught at all, wish I could buy him.

They don't have any OF under control past 2020. Springer, Brantley and Reddick are all FAs then. Most likely they will just trade Reddick and let Tucker play RF. It would be very short-sighted and unlike Luhnow to trade Tucker. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TribeFoo said:

Won't be distraught at all until he is traded. I think they see him as part of their future. I can go another season without Tucker being a major contributor as my OF is loaded and I think he will be worth the wait. Hopefully they just get rid of Reddick in the meantime.

it would be foolish to trade him unless offered a young stud in return. I think he's a fairly safe prospect (relatively speaking) and will be an above-average player, if not a perennial all-star candidate, and on a cheap contract. 

Not sure how the early season will shake out, but I fully expect Tucker to be given a chance with every day at bats by mid summer. Like brock said, this could be a great opportunity to buy at a discount in keepers/dynasty.

In redrafts he'll be dirt cheap and probably on lots of league's wires.

8 hours ago, cs3 said:

Not sure how the early season will shake out, but I fully expect Tucker to be given a chance with every day at bats by mid summer. Like brock said, this could be a great opportunity to buy at a discount in keepers/dynasty.

Maybe in redrafts but he was long gone 2 or 3 years ago in most dynasty leagues.

Drafting him AND Brantley is one of my favorite strategies this spring. One or the other should be in the middle of that Houston OF at all times. Hopefully both at some point. 

6 hours ago, el_Mantico said:

Sent to minor league camp

Never really got a strong look. Came into games mostly as a reserve. I think he was ticketed to AAA all along, to give him full time play.

2 minutes ago, kwolf68 said:

Never really got a strong look. Came into games mostly as a reserve. I think he was ticketed to AAA all along, to give him full time play.

Just waiting for Brantley to hurt himself or for Josh Reddick to remember he's Josh Reddick.

55 minutes ago, buccsfan22 said:

Just waiting for Brantley to hurt himself or for Josh Reddick to remember he's Josh Reddick.

Josh Reddick knows he's Josh Reddick he's trying his best not to be trying really hard 

• Haha 1

On 3/12/2019 at 9:05 PM, buccsfan22 said:

Yea Brantley is bound to do that, but it appears Fisher, Marsinek and Straw all are "ahead" in the pecking order. Tucker will have to rake in AAA to get the call up, but he is used to murdering AAA pitching. Once he gets to the show they need to let him play, his tools are legit.

Seems the shine is really off this guy because of that poor major league audition last year.  Had he never been called up at all he would be considered a top 5 impact rookie (after Vlad, Eloy, Robles, Senzel) in many write ups.    So either the scouting was way off on this guy to begin with or too many have very little patience and a short memory.  Myself?  I have no clue...      

19 minutes ago, knuckleheads said:

Seems the shine is really off this guy because of that poor major league audition last year.  Had he never been called up at all he would be considered a top 5 impact rookie (after Vlad, Eloy, Robles, Senzel) in many write ups.    So either the scouting was way off on this guy to begin with or too many have very little patience and a short memory.  Myself?  I have no clue...      

Kid was never given a chance. They brought him up, let him play a couple games then was inexplicably used as a defensive replacement and relegated to the bench. Heck, they even treated him that way during spring training this year. Numerous times I saw him coming into games late as a PH. I thought this was crazy. Even in ST? With Hinch managing, I don’t ever see him getting an opportunity. I hope I’m wrong, but one would think this kid slept with Hinch’s wife or something. Fact of the matter is, he’s an overrated manager on an extremely talented team. They should of just traded him. 

10 minutes ago, Sonny_D said:

Kid was never given a chance. They brought him up, let him play a couple games then was inexplicably used as a defensive replacement and relegated to the bench. Heck, they even treated him that way during spring training this year. Numerous times I saw him coming into games late as a PH. I thought this was crazy. Even in ST? With Hinch managing, I don’t ever see him getting an opportunity. I hope I’m wrong, but one would think this kid slept with Hinch’s wife or something. Fact of the matter is, he’s an overrated manager on an extremely talented team. They should of just traded him. 

I agree that he wasn't given much of a chance to shake off those rookie jitters.  Then again they were gearing up for the playoffs so I can't necessarily disagree with the call either at the time.  However, I have to think the Astros must still believe in a guy who went 20-20 in only 100 minor league games for them last year.   I am guessing they probably do and he'll get a fair shake this year...  

They're just doing the smart thing and letting him get reps in AAA while the roster is full. I don't think they really want Reddick in RF so it's just a matter of time. Even when he struggled during his cup of coffee he had a .323 xwoba and 90 mph exit velocity with only 18% K. It wasn't even a bad debut, he was just unlucky. Those are the numbers the Astros look at. They're the smartest org. 

Edited by dod959

Just now, dod959 said:

They're just doing the smart thing and letting him get reps in AAA while the roster is full. I don't think they really want Reddick in RF so it's just a matter of time. Even when he struggled during his cup of coffee he had a .323 xwoba and 90 mph exit velocity with only 18% K. It wasn't even a bad debut, he was just unlucky. Those are the numbers the Astros look at. They're the smartest org. 

As a Tucker owner thanks for the pick-me-up. LOL. 

2 minutes ago, kwolf68 said:

As a Tucker owner thanks for the pick-me-up. LOL. 

Ya I think a good point is a lot of fantasy managers and "experts" are down on him.  As mentioned above he would be a top 5 bat coming up if not for the cup of coffee last year.  Not much has changed...

• Like 1

Astros got more depth than an Alabama defensive line.  So many guys deserve a shot, but they just sit and await their calling/trade.  They’ve had to trade a bunch of guys who were quality players also because they didn’t have room.  Their player development is ungodly.  

26 minutes ago, knuckleheads said:

I agree that he wasn't given much of a chance to shake off those rookie jitters.  Then again they were gearing up for the playoffs so I can't necessarily disagree with the call either at the time.  However, I have to think the Astros must still believe in a guy who went 20-20 in only 100 minor league games for them last year.   I am guessing they probably do and he'll get a fair shake this year...  

This isn’t really accurate. They weren’t really “gearing” up for the playoffs on July 7th when they brought him up. Like I said, he started the first 5 games then was used as a PH with occasional starts for the next month. Then he was sent down for a month and brought back up when rosters expanded. So yeah, after his 2nd call up they were gearing up for the playoffs but fact of the matter is he was never given a fair shake to begin with. With the depth they have and Hinch at the helm, doubt we see him get a FT role this year. Even if Reddick sucks or one of the other regulars get hurt, more than likely we’ll see a continuation of platooning amongst the plethora of guys they have. 

If I’m wrong, someone please explain why Tucker wasn’t given a chance to play most days even in ST this year. Most teams try to get guys they plan to bring up a healthy number of AB’s in ST.  Didn’t happen with Tucker. 

Edited by Sonny_D

40 minutes ago, Sonny_D said:

This isn’t really accurate. They weren’t really “gearing” up for the playoffs on July 7th when they brought him up. Like I said, he started the first 5 games then was used as a PH with occasional starts for the next month. Then he was sent down for a month and brought back up when rosters expanded. So yeah, after his 2nd call up they were gearing up for the playoffs but fact of the matter is he was never given a fair shake to begin with. With the depth they have and Hinch at the helm, doubt we see him get a FT role this year. Even if Reddick sucks or one of the other regulars get hurt, more than likely we’ll see a continuation of platooning amongst the plethora of guys they have. 

If I’m wrong, someone please explain why Tucker wasn’t given a chance to play most days even in ST this year. Most teams try to get guys they plan to bring up a healthy number of AB’s in ST.  Didn’t happen with Tucker. 

When I say gearing up for playoffs I mean that they brought him up with the purpose of seeing what they had with him.  I agree they didn't do that though mainly because someone decided he wasn't ready.   My main point is he's still a kid and can't be written off just because of last year nor the fact he wasn't given an opportunity this spring either.  Nothing has changed in terms of who he is but the fantasy world has jumped off at the moment.  As such I think he could be a sleeper prospect pick....