AnonymousRob

Shohei Ohtani 2019 Outlook

Will he qualify for any positional eligibility this season?  You're probably looking at August at the earliest to get 1B innings - and even then I don't think they risk having him have to throw across the diamond should the situation call for it.  He'd be 10 months out from the surgery - might as well give him the full 16 months off and get him back full strength next ST. 

9 minutes ago, twistedude said:

I wonder how yahoo will handle Ohtani long term - will there always be two Ohtanis? (batter/pitcher - so dumb!)

According to someone here on twitter, Yahoo spoksman tweeted they were going to keep him split forever because the code, a zillion lines of code, we can't handle a year of code writing yadda yadda.  Apparently everyone replying mentioned that ESPN and CBS got it done right away.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Ohtani (Pitcher) was always assumed to be far more valuable.  And if he comes back from TJ like a lot of other players he still will be. 

However because he is still active as a hitter when he comes off the DL in the spring he will be a nightmare for dynasty owners because they then have to carry Ohtani (Pitcher) (love the terminology Yahoo uses, hah) on their active roster taking up a precious slot there for at least the rest of this season since they can't just stick him into a DL slot for the year like any other good pitcher out with TJ.  He was already dropped in a 16 team dynasty league I'm in.  Maybe a bottom feeder team in major rebuild mode will take him in the mini re-draft but I sure won't.

Since Yahoo's use of Ohtani is just stupid we decided that he be considered 1 player.  The owner can use either the pitcher or the hitter version without punishment of 2 roster slots.  The fact he was dropped in a 16 team full dynasty and not picked up immediately is odd... 

9 minutes ago, tsh00k said:

Since Yahoo's use of Ohtani is just stupid we decided that he be considered 1 player.  The owner can use either the pitcher or the hitter version without punishment of 2 roster slots.  The fact he was dropped in a 16 team full dynasty and not picked up immediately is odd... 

Kind of curious how you will override the host site's treatment of them as 2 separate players to give the owner an additional roster spot? Doesn't seem like the easiest thing to work around. 

SP2 in 2020 when he’s back, SP1 by 2021 is my prediction. This is the last year to get him at a discount, but you have a year to do it

5 hours ago, tsh00k said:

Nice way to do it.  And not odd.  We haven't had our mini re-draft yet in that dynasty league.  No one can be picked up yet that other owners dropped.  Someone will clog up their active roster with him for the next year plus.  Like I was saying, makes more sense for a rebuilding team to take him that won't need the slot this season anyway. 

5 hours ago, mjb03003 said:

Kind of curious how you will override the host site's treatment of them as 2 separate players to give the owner an additional roster spot? Doesn't seem like the easiest thing to work around. 

Let me get my guess before he tells you.  You just keep one of them in the free agent pool and everyone in the league knows to keep their hands off of him and the commish moves them back and forth manually when needed?  And if the owner is the commish or co-commish that would make it even easier to do even on a daily basis?

22 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Nice way to do it.  And not odd.  We haven't had our mini re-draft yet in that dynasty league.  No one can be picked up yet that other owners dropped.  Someone will clog up their active roster with him for the next year plus.  Like I was saying, makes more sense for a rebuilding team to take him that won't need the slot this season anyway. 

Let me get my guess before he tells you.  You just keep one of them in the free agent pool and everyone in the league knows to keep their hands off of him and the commish moves them back and forth manually when needed?  And if the owner is the commish or co-commish that would make it even easier to do even on a daily basis?

You could also increase the roster size by one and only let the Ohtani owner fill that last slot.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2019 at 7:15 AM, tsh00k said:

Since Yahoo's use of Ohtani is just stupid we decided that he be considered 1 player.  The owner can use either the pitcher or the hitter version without punishment of 2 roster slots

How exactly are you going to accomplish this? This year it shouldn't be a problem because he won't pitch, but when his arm is healthy I dont see a way that it will work without causing even more issues for the rest of the league.

1 hour ago, cs3 said:

How exactly are you going to accomplish this? This year it shouldn't be a problem because he won't pitch, but when his arm is healthy I dont see a way that it will work without causing even more issues for the rest of the league.

Worked very easily last year, not sure what your question is.  Since it's not Ohtani related feel free to DM me. 

If someone really wanted to get it right they'd do it so one Ohtani in one lineup spot accrued both pitching and hitting points. Daily lineups have no problem switching the one Ohtani out but weekly lineups have to choose between the two, which will always be the pitcher so we basically just lose out on his hitting.

And before someone says "yeah but then you'd have to have all pitchers accrue hitting points," no, you wouldn't. When Ohtani hits he's not a pitcher that's at bat, like a National League pitcher. He's a player playing the DH position. Just code pitchers to accrue stats if they're in the DH position, which none of the National League pitchers are.

But that will never happen. It's a cost/gain analysis thing. The price of coding apparently exceeds the loss of pissing off the portion of customers that this would affect. Sucks, because this is like a once-in-a-generation talent that all of the fun is getting sucked out of because providers don't give a f---.

I don't see him getting more than 4 starts a week this season which makes him really tough to own. We're in round 18 of my league and he's still available, for anyone looking for some context. I imagine in daily lineups where it's much more easy to manage his playing time his value is higher but in weeklys it just seems like a frustrating dilemma. 

1 minute ago, AlwayzRight said:

What round would be considered a reach for Ohtani?

The last round would be considered a reach unless you’re in a super deep league

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 2:48 PM, pushaZ said:

Y'all would be better off just not using Yahoo

Using CBS or ESPN has FAR greater pitfalls than simply ignoring Ohtani on Yahoo.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Greenline said:

Can we move this discussion back to Ohtani and less about the administrative functions of various platforms? :) 

This is a fantasy baseball site.  Ohtani's status on different platforms effects how he is evaluated totally.  Fantasy wise you can't talk about one without the other.

Where would Ohtani (batter) go in a DYNASTY league?  ADP super late (190ish) but just heard a podcast with big projections for him this year.  

9 hours ago, Gandalfthecat said:

For keeper leagues, will Ohtani lose his SP eligibility this year if he doesn't pitch? 

That's a really interesting question.  I could see where, technically he would, but I would think most platforms would override that.

Edited by 89Topps

On 3/8/2019 at 7:25 AM, mjb03003 said:

Simple.  If your league has 25 man rosters, just increase it to 26 with the understanding everyone else won't fill their 26th spot.

Bingo bango.

9 hours ago, 89Topps said:

Simple.  If your league has 25 man rosters, just increase it to 26 with the understanding everyone else won't fill their 26th spot.

Bingo bango.

I wrote up a similar "workaround" last year.  The extra spot (26th in your example) should be filled with a minor league guy who has no hope of a callup/ownership so the other owners can't use it for stashing or extra FA grabs.  It works if everyone is on board,  but it's def ugly.  And then,  if he's traded or dropped,  you treat both spots as one entity.  

Ain't perfect,  but it's the best you can do on Yahoo.  The monkey in the wrench is if he hits the dl, that really screwed things up. 

I'm surprised how much he's being slept on. He's a top 50 batter this season.