AnonymousRob

Shohei Ohtani 2019 Outlook

49 minutes ago, Kramjam24 said:

What's feeling on him recently? He is available in my league was thinking of picking him up and holding onto him, have an empty roster spot atm

He was elite at both hitting and pitching last year.  No brained keeper imo.  In redraft formats he will be DH only but could be one of the few DHs to be really outstanding.  Playing time should be a bit inconsistent early after he returns but as he reacclimates I’m expecting more regular ABs than last season due to the lack of pitching.

• Like 1

Fangraphs saying he's not rosterable outside of daily lineups

Profile: Hitter: Ohtani’s situation is a mess to unravel. Starting off, his talent to hit right-handed pitching was unquestionable last season (.313/.387/.656), but he really struggled against left-handed pitching (.222/.300/.354) with a 32% K%. This is entering catcher territory and may make him a platoon candidate. Taking the good with the bad, the overall hitting package is a five-category threat. Now, to the Tommy John surgery return time as a hitter. This is a mess with little information available from the team and fantasy owners are going to need to keep up with the latest info. Historic return times put him returning around July or August. Most of these players needed to throw the ball while Ohtani hit just fine once it was known he needed the surgery (.310/.371/.632 in September). additionally, he will be working back as a pitcher and will need some throw and rest days limiting when he can hit. Additionally, he’s not going to be stealing any bases with the chance his recovering arm will get injured and delay his recovery. Overall, he’s a part-time DH who crushes right-handed pitching. He’s probably not rosterable, without some news update, unless the league is a daily lineup league. (Jeff Zimmerman)

The Quick Opinion: As a pitcher, Ohtani’s 2019 season is over. As a hitter, he can be productive when he plays against right-handed pitching."

https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=19755&position=DH

My plan is to bat him against righties all year.  

.313/.387/.656 

1 home run every 11 at bats

1 run every 7.5 at bats

1 rbi every 5 at bats

I can take that kind of production in a 3/4 platoon.  I need to have a bench hitter anyway to sub in for guys taking days off.  Might as well sub someone in for Ohtani when he isn't facing a right handed pitcher.  My guess is that those will be off days for him anyway.  Give me 4-5 days a week of production against right handed hitters and he will be more than worth the investment. 

• Like 1

On 4/14/2019 at 4:12 PM, 2pac said:

Fangraphs saying he's not rosterable outside of daily lineups

Profile: Hitter: Ohtani’s situation is a mess to unravel. Starting off, his talent to hit right-handed pitching was unquestionable last season (.313/.387/.656), but he really struggled against left-handed pitching (.222/.300/.354) with a 32% K%. This is entering catcher territory and may make him a platoon candidate. Taking the good with the bad, the overall hitting package is a five-category threat. Now, to the Tommy John surgery return time as a hitter. This is a mess with little information available from the team and fantasy owners are going to need to keep up with the latest info. Historic return times put him returning around July or August. Most of these players needed to throw the ball while Ohtani hit just fine once it was known he needed the surgery (.310/.371/.632 in September). additionally, he will be working back as a pitcher and will need some throw and rest days limiting when he can hit. Additionally, he’s not going to be stealing any bases with the chance his recovering arm will get injured and delay his recovery. Overall, he’s a part-time DH who crushes right-handed pitching. He’s probably not rosterable, without some news update, unless the league is a daily lineup league. (Jeff Zimmerman)

The Quick Opinion: As a pitcher, Ohtani’s 2019 season is over. As a hitter, he can be productive when he plays against right-handed pitching."

https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=19755&position=DH

This is very old news.  Since spring training, it's been widely reported by all the LA beat reporters, that Ohtani was going to be back by early May, barring a setback in his recovery.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/angels/la-sp-shohei-otani-angels-cleared-face-pitchers-20190415-story.html

As far as the splits, he improved vs LHP as he got more ABs. In August/Sept he hit lefties to a tune of .283/.353/.478/.831 in 51 PA.  And in his Japanese career he hit .309 vs lefties.

As far as stealing bases, they let him steal with a damaged elbow last year for most of the season.  If he's able to hit, and able to throw from 80 feet+ (at this point), why is it assumed he won't be allowed to run and slide once he's cleared to play?

• Like 2

April 19, 2019
Ohtani (elbow) threw from 90 feet Friday, Fabian Ardaya of The Athletic reports.
ANALYSIS
Along with stretching out to 90 feet, Ohtani also took batting practice with his teammates for the first time since the injury. The two-way player's return date remains up in the air at this point, although it'll likely depend on how he fares against live hitting, which is scheduled for next week, per Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times. The Angels will travel to Mexico on May 4 to begin a two-game series against Houston, and according to Ardaya, Ohtani has made it known that he'd like to be back in action by, or even before, that date. "Would I like to take him to Mexico? If he's ready, I'll take him to Mexico." stated skipper Brad Ausmus.

• Like 1

Thoughts he will hit the ground wheeling and dealing once he's back ?

I'm pretty optimistic he could come back and immediately hit well. As far as the LHP concerns some brought up, last year was his fist MLB season and he did improve against lefties as the campaign went on. He'll just be hitting this year and from what we've heard spend a lot of time at DH, he sounds pretty hungry to come back ASAP. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Baseball Jonze said:

Yahoo! put Pitcher Ohtani on the 60-day IL, while hitter Ohtani on 10-day and soon to be activated. 

Huh. 

Interesting.  I wonder if they're going to keep pitcher Ohtani on the DL all year even after hes activated?  As an owner of both in a deep keeper league, I'm really hoping that is the case.  Having to burn an active roster spot on the pitcher version isn't ideal.  I don't understand why they don't just combine him into one player.

9 minutes ago, Dahk said:

Interesting.  I wonder if they're going to keep pitcher Ohtani on the DL all year even after hes activated?  As an owner of both in a deep keeper league, I'm really hoping that is the case.  Having to burn an active roster spot on the pitcher version isn't ideal.  I don't understand why they don't just combine him into one player.

If they go by official MLB IL status then this is a 100% impossibility. Your last part is the most pressing thing, why all services havent combined him to one player is beynd me. 

1 minute ago, dzemens said:

If they go by official MLB IL status then this is a 100% impossibility. Your last part is the most pressing thing, why all services havent combined him to one player is beynd me. 

I was under the impression that they would be following official MLB IL status as well but I wonder if they're making an exception here.  Why else would he be played on the 60 day as the pitcher version yet remain on the 10 day as the hitter version?  Unless its a simple mistake, which I admit is the most likely outcome here.

1 minute ago, Dahk said:

I was under the impression that they would be following official MLB IL status as well but I wonder if they're making an exception here.  Why else would he be played on the 60 day as the pitcher version yet remain on the 10 day as the hitter version?  Unless its a simple mistake, which I admit is the most likely outcome here.

Well Yahoo has done dumb stuff before, so who knows. Wasnt it Yahoo that gave Schwarber C eligibility when he shouldnt have had it?

19 minutes ago, dzemens said:

Well Yahoo has done dumb stuff before, so who knows. Wasnt it Yahoo that gave Schwarber C eligibility when he shouldnt have had it?

Remember when Wil Myers had C eligibility?

39 minutes ago, Dahk said:

Seems like they are trying to cover for making the dumb decision to make him two separate people.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AHF said:

Seems like they are trying to cover for making the dumb decision to make him two separate people.

Seeing that Yahoo doesn't have a way to view all the players without separating them into batters and pitchers, it might be just a poorly designed "feature" that they're choosing not to overhaul for one player. They probably just have two separate databases for pitchers and batters instead of one database so swapping him from pitching to batting on our side might not be capable on their side. 

On 4/24/2019 at 2:04 PM, Dahk said:

Because for fantasy purposes he is two different players. We don’t get hitter stats for our pitchers and two different managers can own him. It would make sense for Yahoo to leave him on DL as pitcher since he won’t be pitching this season. That would be a fair way for them to treat him. 

Yahoo would be better served combining pitchers and hitters into the same category and then just giving eligibility to the position they play.  Ever understood why you have to have a brick wall between pitching and hitting. 

In ohtanis case, he would have SP, Util eligibility.  Would make total sense. You would have to choose which stars you were going to play him in (when he is pitching he couldn’t get hitting stats and when he is hitting he can’t get pitching stats) but it is odd to separate the two, particularly for keeper/dynasty leagues. 

12 minutes ago, GJDHouse said:

Yahoo would be better served combining pitchers and hitters into the same category and then just giving eligibility to the position they play.  Ever understood why you have to have a brick wall between pitching and hitting. 

In ohtanis case, he would have SP, Util eligibility.  Would make total sense. You would have to choose which stars you were going to play him in (when he is pitching he couldn’t get hitting stats and when he is hitting he can’t get pitching stats) but it is odd to separate the two, particularly for keeper/dynasty leagues. 

Maybe b/c they needed some kind of a counting system for IP. Who knows..

5 hours ago, fingy said:

Maybe b/c they needed some kind of a counting system for IP. Who knows..

Yahoo is unique with their problematic approach.  It will create issues over the next decade.

21 hours ago, GJDHouse said:

If you gave him dual pitching and hitting eligibility, it would give him two players' worth of stats for one roster spot... He'd be one of the most valuable players in the game, I think.

Edited by thesandman

I’m not sure if this is the correct thread since this is ESPN specific. On the ESPN app Ohtani is competent grayed out and cannot be moved or traded. The only option is to drop him and I am just wondering what is going on with that exactly?

1 hour ago, thesandman said:

If you gave him dual pitching and hitting eligibility, it would give him two players' worth of stats for one roster spot... He'd be one of the most valuable players in the game, I think.

What's wrong with that?

Maybe there could be a separate “Shohei Ohtani Yahoo Technical Support Page” for those of us who keep thinking this may be updating his injury return timeline?

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, bdawkins456 said:

I’m not sure if this is the correct thread since this is ESPN specific. On the ESPN app Ohtani is competent grayed out and cannot be moved or traded. The only option is to drop him and I am just wondering what is going on with that exactly?

He’s on your IL. You need to activate him. If you look at the normal roster on the app, it doesn’t say he’s on the IL, but rather “bench”. If you got to “Manage IL” you will notice he pops up and can activate him. Must be a quirk within the app. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1