AnonymousRob

Shohei Ohtani 2019 Outlook

Won't return in upcoming series
April 28, 2019
Manager Brad Ausmus said Ohtani (elbow) will not play during the team's upcoming home series against Toronto, Jeff Fletcher of The Orange County Registerreports.
ANALYSIS
Ohtani has been increasing his workload, most recently hitting in a simulated game. He is set to get about 40 plate appearances in similar action across the next week, so he is not yet ready to return to the club. The team does play a second series during their upcoming homestand that begins on May 4, and Ausmus may have left the door open for Ohtani to return then, depending on how he progresses this week.

I’m ready for some bombs

Ohtani yesterday:  "My timing is on point.  My body feels great.  I feel like I'm  ready to go as of right now.  I'm a little ahead of schedule"  

Edited by Palmetto08
  • Like 2

I felt good about him coming back and being productive. The fact he won't pitch and be limited on the field maybe helps him stay healthy, regain strength and be able to put up some decent numbers.

He's been hard to stash for many owners with all the injuries this year, but hopefully is worth it. For fantasy seems like he'll be limited to our UT or DH slots for quite some time. He's an exciting player and glad he's back soon. I wonder when the last time/year he would have gone the whole season just hitting no pitching was. Maybe he packs alot of his desire and adrenaline to want to pitch, into his succes at the plate, give his hitting a little extra fire once he's settled in.

Edited by tonywow

10 minutes ago, tonywow said:

I wonder when the last time/year he would have gone the whole season just hitting no pitching was. 

Pretty sure the answer is "never."

• Haha 1

Getting pretty excited for Ohtani's return having stashed him on two roto teams. I'm a believer. His plate performance last year was pretty incredible.

I'm hoping for close to 400 ABs , 24 HRs and BA just over .300. A handful of SBs will be a bonus. With Pujols and Bour underperforming, and the Angels hanging in with a 14-17 record, LAA will absolutely find a way to get that unique talent in the lineup.

• Like 2

Hey fellas.... Any chance he plays any games in the OF this year or is he strictly a DH? 

ROTOWIRE.COM

Manager Brad Ausmus said Ohtani (elbow) "could" return Tuesday against the Tigers, Maria Torres of the Los Angeles Times reports.

Spin: Ohtani's original return date was set for May 17, but Ausmus didn't shoot down the idea of activating him ahead of Tuesday's series opener in Detroit, if Ohtani proves ready. The 25-year-old, who recently said he feels ready to return, is scheduled to take live batting practice each of the next three days, and how he responds will likely determine when he's activated from the injured list.

23 minutes ago, squidthunder said:

Hey fellas.... Any chance he plays any games in the OF this year or is he strictly a DH? 

No. He will only DH.

Just now, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

No. He will only DH.

Yea that's what I thought. Just trying to figure out what I'm going to do with him and Cruz

13 minutes ago, Biig_Pressure21 said:

Rumor has it he will be activated on Tuesday. I play in Yahoo, Why only 58% Owned? 

Most are auto-drafted teams and inactive leagues who have already been abandoned.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AlexxelA said:

Anyone starting him now or wait until it's official?

I'm waiting a week or possibly two. The article I read said even if he does return this week, he may not play everyday. I'm waiting till he's playing on a regular everyday  schedule which won't be long.

2 hours ago, Team Dynasty said:

I'm waiting a week or possibly two. The article I read said even if he does return this week, he may not play everyday. I'm waiting till he's playing on a regular everyday  schedule which won't be long.

For daily leagues, this isn’t an issue. 

Pardon if this has already been established but in ESPN does he get counting offensive points in the SP slot?

36 minutes ago, remark900 said:

Pardon if this has already been established but in ESPN does he get counting offensive points in the SP slot?

Does any other pitcher that hit get offensive stats? No.

1 hour ago, remark900 said:

He's not eligible to be started as both a pitcher and batter on the same day.  If you have him in the UTIL spot for batters, he is on the bench as a pitcher but listed as "UTIL".

1 hour ago, bunnyzclan said:

Does any other pitcher that hit get offensive stats? No.

Does any other "pitcher" start at a position other than "pitcher?" No.

Edited by remark900

49 minutes ago, pduce242424 said:

He's not eligible to be started as both a pitcher and batter on the same day.  If you have him in the UTIL spot for batters, he is on the bench as a pitcher but listed as "UTIL".

I understand that. What I'm saying is if he starts at DH and I have him in the SP slot on my roster will he still get the batting stats?

40 minutes ago, remark900 said:

I understand that. What I'm saying is if he starts at DH and I have him in the SP slot on my roster will he still get the batting stats?

The answer is No.   You will have to have him in your Util spot.  When you do this he will be on your bench in pitching and the same goes when he is pitching.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Welcome To My House said:

The answer is No.   You will have to have him in your Util spot.  When you do this he will be on your bench in pitching and the same goes when he is pitching.  

Right. You have to choose whether to have him designated as a hitter or pitcher.  He only gets points for whichever you designate him on a given day.