AnonymousRob

Shohei Ohtani 2019 Outlook

Left pitching today and tomorrow for Detroit. Maybe he gets his first start on Thursday vs Tyson Ross 

7 minutes ago, squidthunder said:

Left pitching today and tomorrow for Detroit. Maybe he gets his first start on Thursday vs Tyson Ross 

He was activated today. So more than likely he’ll be in the starting lineup tonight. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, professorbaseball said:

hitting 3rd against a lefty, leave at bench or plug him in?

Was wondering the same. I thought he hit righties better than LHP, but the hitting splits on Yahoo only wants to show his pitching info today for some reason. I'd say it's a coin flip, he seems uper amped up and might jack one with his built up adrenaline. If you had a much better matchup, I could someone wanting to wait and see how he does after tonight. Not sure what I'm doing yet. 

So there you have it.  He WILL hit vs lefties.  Throwing program WILL NOT keep him from playing as the every day DH.  Way too many online fantasy experts just assumed otherwise, with nothing solid to back it up.

In August/Sept 2018 he hit lefties to a tune of .283/.353/.478/.831 in 51 PA.  And in his Japanese career he hit .309 vs lefties.  His early 2018 struggles vs lefties had everything to do with needing reps vs MLB lefties and nothing to do with a hole in his game.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, professorbaseball said:

hitting 3rd against a lefty, leave at bench or plug him in?

How do you not start him? Its his first game back, live a little. Whats the worst that can happen.. 0-5 with 5Ks? Your lineup can handle that.

Start him and be excited about it. 

• Like 4

Told you this guy was going to get consistent at bats.  Kind of hard to believe that he will hit 3rd vs. lefties, but that is a huge show of confidence in his bat.  Middle of the order production and you only had to wait a month.  He is going to pay off a huge value this year imo.

• Like 2

As a southern california native I'm happy to see him back on the field in an Angels uniform, but I can't help but feel this is an awful idea considering he's basically still rehabbing from elbow surgery.  The Angels should be in "tank mode" anyway, frankly.  

This is gonna be fun, just plain exciting for baseball in general.

• Like 1

Solid start to his season.  Doing what he does..has good at bats, makes hard contact and isn't afraid of taking a walk.  I think he is a top 50 hitter from this point forward which is a steal considering where most of us drafted him.

• Like 1

He is absolutely raking at the moment. Unfortunately he got thrown out at 3rd and home yesterday. Would have been the tying run in each case. 

35 minutes ago, gopackgo555 said:

He is absolutely raking at the moment. Unfortunately he got thrown out at 3rd and home yesterday. Would have been the tying run in each case. 

Is he sliding - that scares me.  I assume he won't steal this year for that reason, but on regular baserunning close plays does he go in standing and take the out? In the very least he better be feet first sliding. 

1 hour ago, Baseball Jonze said:

Is he sliding - that scares me.  I assume he won't steal this year for that reason, but on regular baserunning close plays does he go in standing and take the out? In the very least he better be feet first sliding.

He slid feet first when he clipped Garver at home.

23 hours ago, Baseball Jonze said:

I was wondering the same but he has been sliding feet first. That wasn't why he was thrown out though. In each case it was because of a bad read on his part, which is something he needs to improve on. He's way too fast to get thrown out in the two ways he did.

1 hour ago, gopackgo555 said:

I was wondering the same but he has been sliding feet first. That wasn't why he was thrown out though. In each case it was because of a bad read on his part, which is something he needs to improve on. He's way too fast to get thrown out in the two ways he did.

I imagine he is pretty rusty right now.  That read and timing will come.

People still holding here? ...he’s been god awful. I also hate that he’s just a UTIL guy.