AnonymousRob

Shohei Ohtani 2019 Outlook

He just finished what basically was his spring training.   I'll park him on my bench and wait it out.

• Like 3

On 5/31/2019 at 2:07 AM, buzzkilloton said:

No way im dropping a guy with this much proven talent anytime soon.

I'm with ya.  Drop! "No Way."  He would def be picked up in my League. (12 Team Roto).  Not going to sit there and watch him go off on someone else's team...Nope, not doing it.

I dropped him last week. They don’t let him run anymore, he gets DNP’s and is still just a UTIL guy for fantasy. I don’t think he’s worth the headache this year to be honest. 

cant blame anyone for dropping him at this point. i personally think he will come around sooner than later so he's a hold for me. the fact they're not letting him run so far is definitely a little concerning but i cant see that continuing to be the case - just have him slide feet first, whats the big deal? i think his upside warrants a stash for at least another 3 weeks considering he's basically still in spring training mode. he's shown the ability to hit for a decent average and fantastic power along with his sb ability. players like that are hard to find on the wire. 

Edited by Dirty Little Birdie

Is he in the line up today? ESPN projecting him out, but other things showing him in the line up?

On 6/1/2019 at 8:10 AM, Biig_Pressure21 said:

I'm with ya.  Drop! "No Way."  He would def be picked up in my League. (12 Team Roto).  Not going to sit there and watch him go off on someone else's team...Nope, not doing it.

I wonder how the ragedroppers are doing after the 3 HR’s and 9 RBI’s he’s had in his last 5 games. Thanks to them for teaching him a lesson so he could get motivated and go on a tear for our teams. 

On 6/4/2019 at 8:04 PM, MaeDay said:

Is he in the line up today? ESPN projecting him out, but other things showing him in the line up?

I'm getting kinda frustrated with ESPN on this - listed as out (and he played). Same issue as the night before. And they seem to stop tracking his stats.

image.png.8c6c5e2f245e1b7097f6c76e6a576385.png

10 minutes ago, squidthunder said:

I'm getting kinda frustrated with ESPN on this - listed as out (and he played). Same issue as the night before. And they seem to stop tracking his stats.

image.png.8c6c5e2f245e1b7097f6c76e6a576385.png

Same exact issue for me in my leagues.  Chatted with ESPN yesterday and they assured me would be fixed in 1-2 days.  Last night points showed but then disappeared again by morning. 😡

7 minutes ago, TekilaAF said:

Same exact issue for me in my leagues.  Chatted with ESPN yesterday and they assured me would be fixed in 1-2 days.  Last night points showed but then disappeared again by morning. 😡

I saw he was listed out so I benched him for Cruz - still got a HR from Cruz but Ohtani's night would have been better

50 minutes ago, squidthunder said:

I saw he was listed out so I benched him for Cruz - still got a HR from Cruz but Ohtani's night would have been better

While not as popular of a streamer Jared Walsh also showed not starting Tuesday when he was at 1B.  Seems they have a big bug the 2-way player scoring in general now.

Another homer (his 5th since May 31st) and his first stolen base of the year. Shohei is going to be a top 50 player ROS. 

• Like 2

After I dumped him I kept an eye on him after awhile I added him back since no one moved on him. I’m not totally still sold on him having the consistent impact and  ROI most expect but it’s good to see him finally stringing some games together and stealing a base finally.

He was somehow not kept or drafted in my main league. I scooped him up asap. 

If he keeps hitting like this I'm debating if he'll have more value as a hitter or pitcher next season..

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, BETTAFISH said:

After I dumped him I kept an eye on him after awhile I added him back since no one moved on him. I’m not totally still sold on him having the consistent impact and  ROI most expect but it’s good to see him finally stringing some games together and stealing a base finally.

Do you read a lot of Razzball? They’re constantly ragging on Ohtani for some reason 

21 minutes ago, huskadeez said:

Do you read a lot of Razzball? They’re constantly ragging on Ohtani for some reason 

I tend to read most sites but I don’t base my opinions on any one site/s really.  He was pretty terrible up until recently, so the hate was justified to a degree.  I tend to put a lot of stock in situational things. If he’s not running, gets regular DNP’s and is just a UTIL bat eligible I think his value is capped considerably for fantasy this year. I’m hoping LA loosens up a bit though and gives him the green light more and cuts the random rest day routine going forward. We shall see if this is a sign of things to come.

4 minutes ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Razzball is a terrible site. Ohtani is a fantastic hitter that will rack up a good amount of counting stats. 

Yeah. His numbers projected over 162 games are exceptional. He started a little slow but he’s rolling now an the Angels lineup is going to keep getting stronger. 

1 hour ago, BETTAFISH said:

He batted 285 with 22 hrs as a rookie in 104 games. Hes looking good again this season. He doesnt steal enough bases so not sold? WTF

• Like 1

Otani is a freaking BEAST.  LOL at people dropping him or wondering if he’s worthy of a roster spot.  

9 minutes ago, buzzkilloton said:

He batted 285 with 22 hrs as a rookie in 104 games. Hes looking good again this season. He doesnt steal enough bases so not sold? WTF

Yea that’s great. He’s also being babied a bit and coming off a significant injury. The guy has ability sure (that’s undeniable) but the situational factors I mentioned in my other post above. This will likely depress a lot of that fantasy value you and others are expecting for THIS YEAR. The Angels also stink and are at the bottom of their division. If they fall out of contention I can envision a lot more rest days for a guy who they want to protect and is just a DH.

13 minutes ago, BETTAFISH said:

Yea that’s great. He’s also being babied a bit and coming off a significant injury. The guy has ability sure (that’s undeniable) but the situational factors I mentioned in my other post above. This will likely depress a lot of that fantasy value you and others are expecting for THIS YEAR. The Angels also stink and are at the bottom of their division. If they fall out of contention I can envision a lot more rest days for a guy who they want to protect and is just a DH.

He’s an elite talent.  You’re pointing out all the worst case scenarios; what if he actually improves on his rookie season?

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, BETTAFISH said:

I expect him to keep getting better and better. Hes just now heating up. He was coming off a injury so it took him time to get going.

I'm not expecting the Angels to fall completely out of the wild card race. They didnt have Heaney and Ohtani from the get go either. They've got enough talent to stick around. 

Edited by buzzkilloton
  • Like 1