Dirty Little Birdie

2019 Sleepers / Value Picks

Joshua James

Joey Lucchesi

Tyler Glasnow 

Anibal Sanchez

Luis Castillo 

but most likely no one because what Snell did last year was pretty ridiculous.

Edited by meh2

I hope this doesn't get merged because threads like this are fun.

Former top prospect...I'll go with Glasnow.

sleeper pick, Dylan Bundy

31 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

German Marquez

2 minutes ago, FantasyGeek2018 said:

Flaherty

Y'all....

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Y'all....

Got merged.  Was a thread about the next Snell.  Which is why I said Marquez.  3.77 era could go mid 2's this year if things break right and he keeps up the slider usage.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

Got merged.  Was a thread about the next Snell.  Which is why I said Marquez.  3.77 era could go mid 2's this year if things break right and he keeps up the slider usage.

Maybe his road ERA.  No Coors pitcher is going to have a mid-2.00 ERA.

2 minutes ago, Baseball Jonze said:

Ubaldo Jimenez in 2010, 2.88.

• Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, Baseball Jonze said:

Look at the final 82 games.  15 of 17 in QS (7 for 7 in Coors), 2.47 era, 0.95 whip, 33.3% k rate, 5.0% bb rate.  He did it for half the year after making adjustments and throwing his slider more.  Assuming he could probably do that as a peak for a full year if he can dominate as much as he did.  For reference, here is his Coors numbers during that time: 7 GS, 7 QS, 47.1 IP, 39 H, 9 BB (WHIP barely over 1.00), 10 ER (1.90 ERA), 68 ks.  Ya, he can't dominate at Coors at all.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, fawkes_mulder said:

Ubaldo Jimenez in 2010, 2.88.

Kyle Freeland, 2018 2.85 ERA, oh how quickly we forget.  There is also Marvin Freeman with a 2.80 in 1994, caveat of that only being in a little over 100 IP

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

Kyle Freeland, 2018 2.85 ERA, oh how quickly we forget.  There is also Marvin Freeman with a 2.80 in 1994, caveat of that only being in a little over 100 IP

I get way more of a Ubaldo 2010 vibe out of German Marquez than Freeland though. Ubaldo once was filthy (I know it's hard to believe based off how bad he is now, but he was). I think German can do something like Ubaldo 2009-2010. With better walk rate. And probably a better K rate (yes, eras are different).

No offense to Freeland, but I don't think he's got the same talent as German. Excellent ERA in 2018 and all. Just doesn't have the same stuff.

Edited by fawkes_mulder
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, fawkes_mulder said:

I get way more of a Ubaldo 2010 vibe out of German Marquez than Freeland though. Ubaldo once was filthy (I know it's hard to believe based off how bad he is now, but he was). I think German can do something like Ubaldo 2009-2010. With better walk rate.

I love Marquez this year.  If his gains with the slider are legit he can be a top 10 type pitcher for fantasy.  That K rate after moving to it 25% of the time was stupid.

On 2/15/2019 at 10:39 AM, walker834 said:

Any Royals that might hit fantasy relevance this year?  Been a Royals fan forever and like following rebuilding teams but haven't been able to keep up with the current rebuild overly.  Seems like a good  year where players like Dozier, Junis, Mondesi, O'hearn may put up decent stat lines as bench players with upside while the Royals are awaiting their big hiting prospects.  Any of these guys worth taking a flier on late in drafts?  I usually target Perez as my catcher as well.  I drafted him on one team and passed on another last year.   And hit nice with Merrifield too last year since those were the only two Royals I had.  I was right on that.  Seems like there may be more Royals this year that are worth owning.

You do know all these guys aren't bench players at all and in the case of Mondesi he is NOT a hidden sleeper by any stretch of the imagination. 

On Yahoo Mondesi is already pre-ranked #69 among all ball players and #50 among all hitters right after Daniel Murphy and ahead of Jesus Aguliar and Mitch Haniger.  Mondesi IS KC's big hitting (and stealing) prospect.  And there are reports here that he is going as early as the third round in some drafts as he has become this year's most red hot hyped hitter.

• Like 1

Jorge Soler... he actually looked good last year before he was derailed by injuries yet again. I'd love him in a bench slot, with the injury risk understood and prepared to drop when needed. 

• Like 1

Jack and Marquez are top 100 players, no? How can they be the next Blake snell?

Brandon Lowe, 2B/OF/1B (TB)--Was going to start a thread on him, but seems like search function is messed up, but he certainly fits as a sleeper imo.

He's getting reps allover and carries an solid bat, like many he had a rough start after getting his first call last year, but settled in nicely. Nice combo of power, hit tool and a even a little speed...has no obvious platoon splits despite being a lefty hitter.

• Like 1

Christian Walker and/or Kevin Cron. With Goldy holding them back the past couple years they will get a chance to at least fill in against LHP for Lamb (moreso Walker). And if Lamb cant stay healthy...watch out as they both have tore up the PCL in AAA

Walker

https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=13419&position=1B

https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=sa597807&position=1B

Lourdes Gurriel Jr. Should be batting #2 as the fulltime 2B. Eligible at 2b/SS when he had a healthy stretch last year where he absolutely raked.  Jays love him and will give him a long leash as they are looking to get Devon Travis ABs in the OF

• Like 2