Rotoworld.com Forums

Biggest Busts of 2018

oresteszero

Not sure if there's a thread for this.. if so, I apologize haha. I looked and didn't see anything.

What is your biggest bust of 2018? Apart from the easy ones. (Bell, David Johnson, etc.)

For me, I would have to say Drake. Lost a few games in the beginning of the season and benched him ever since. 

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DJ was a semi-bust. He crashed relative to his cost but he provided high RB2 numbers and stayed healthy. Fournette is the biggest RB bust imo. He contributed for only three weeks, the first of which most benched him. He basically wasted a pick and a roster spot all year. Dalvin Cook was basically the NFC version of Fournette so you could put him first too. 

Trey Burton, Evan Engram, and Kyle Rudolph played big roles on TE being a disaster this year.

WR: Fitzgerald, Baldwin, Robinson stick out off the top of my head.

QB: Stafford is the clear "winner."

8 minutes ago, Psideresider said:

For me it was Royce Freeman. Bought into the hype and coach talking him up. Took him in the fourth and got what I deserved.

I had him too but I only played him one game (thankfully). 

Seems like there's quite a few busts this year

RB

1. Le'veon

2. Ronald Jones

3. Fournette

4. Royce Freeman

5. Alex Collins

WR

1. Fitzgerald

2. Hogan

3. Baldwin

4. Goodwin

5. Demaryius Thomas

TE

1. Gronk

2. Kyle Rudolph

3. Njoku

4. Greg Olsen

5. Trey Burton

QB

1. Rodgers

2. Brady

3. Stafford

5 minutes ago, Zak0221 said:

AJ Green 

or are we not putting players on this list bc of injury?

He helped in games that he was healthy. I wouldnt compare him to Cook or Fournette.

I would also add hype machines like DeShaun Watson and Josh Gordon to the list.

For me it was R. Freeman and J. Howard who were both on my team in my two leagues. 

I can't really say DJ was a total bust, he has done fairly well most of the season and in one way or another helped my team make it to the championship game. If DJ can somehow have a huge game this weekend all will be forgiven for not living up to 1st round status and getting injured on me in week 1 last year.  

6 minutes ago, Evincar said:

He helped in games that he was healthy. I wouldnt compare him to Cook or Fournette.

I would also add hype machines like DeShaun Watson and Josh Gordon to the list.

but he played his fewest games of his career and didnt even give FF owners half a season.  That is brutal for a guy that is picked in Rnd3 as your WR1.  

If you didnt snatch Boyd up you basically got nothing but a half a season out of your WR1 which in an auction draft is hard to overcome because WR1s cost about 1/4 of your total budget if not more. 

Personally I exclude guys who weren't active most of the season like Bell or Fournette from the bust conversation especially those two because the warning signs were there prior to the season (Fournette's injury history and Bell saying he would be willing to sit out games or retire if franchise tagged) and their handcuffs in large part gave you at least 90% of what you would've expected from them.

David Johnson is a tough one for me cause a guy that has still been a RB1 on the year I don't think you can truly call a bust although with where he went and the names that often went directly after him who mostly play the same position he is definitely a major disappointment (still a lot better off than Bell or Fournette owners who didn't handcuff though). 

Rob Gronkowski and Jordan Howard are probably the two biggest busts of the year in my eyes (I got burnt by both in a few leagues so I'm a little biased). Drafting Gronk you almost expect him to miss a game or two but the expectation was when healthy you were getting WR1 scoring out of your TE slot which is why he was worth a 2nd round pick. Even in 2017 when Gronk missed 2 games he outscored WR10 AJ Green in PPR. Spending a 2nd round pick on a guy who hasn't given you a weekly advantage over guys drafted 8 or more rounds later than him (or picked off waivers) is a major hit to your team. Especially since due to Gronk's history and the "hope" that Edelman returning and Gordon getting healthy would allow him to flourish owners likely missed out on the Ebrons, Cooks and Kittles. 

For Howard the writing was on the wall with Nagy talking about how he wanted to create a pass-first offense but I wrote it off as coach-speak and felt that if Bears wanted to win their best chance was to use their best offensive weapon over the past 2 seasons (Howard) and their defense to gut out games instead of running the offense around Trubisky who I felt was too raw for that. I couldn't have been more incorrect and while Trubisky has had his struggles he has matured a lot over the year and I think Nagy's offense is a lot better than the one that I would've designed entering the season. Spending an early 3rd rounder on a TD-dependent RB3 can really sink your season. 

Based off ADP LeSean McCoy  is probably the next biggest bust but I felt he was a more obvious bust candidate and a lot more people saw it coming given how bad the Bills projected to be. 

Just now, next big thing cp84 said:

Just let me list 7 of my first 11 picks real quick...

Alex Collins, Larry Fitzgerald, Royce Freeman, Carson Wentz, Sammy Watkins, Jamison Crowder, Jordan Reed

Crowder has burned me in consecutive seasons. Maybe next year I will look at him in the last round or something but I wasted a round 6 and 7 picks on him.

1 minute ago, next big thing cp84 said:

Just let me list 7 of my first 11 picks real quick...

Alex Collins, Larry Fitzgerald, Royce Freeman, Carson Wentz, Sammy Watkins, Jamison Crowder, Jordan Reed

Haha, I think I have you beat though. In one league my draft started David Johnson, Rob Gronkowski, Jordan Howard, Chris Hogan  (I was super high on him for some reason), Michael Crabtree, Corey Davis, Sammy Watkins (honestly wasn't that bad when he was healthy), and Jamaal Williams.

Lucked into A. Jones and Chubb and Boyd off waivers and somehow finished 8-5 but missed playoffs.

2 minutes ago, sjm76 said:

Leonard Fournette, Jordan Howard, Devonta Freeman, Kenyan Drake, Stefon Diggs, Deshaun Watson, Jimmy Garoppolo

DIggs? What did you take him in the first round? He's been a high-end WR2 and I believe that is where his ADP was...

17 minutes ago, Zak0221 said:

AJ Green 

or are we not putting players on this list bc of injury?

AJ Green is not a bust to me, and I drafted him in the late 2nd Round.  He was having a great season and then got injured. He helped me win several weeks, and I’m still playing for a championship.

At least you can replace injured players... busts are guys you’ve started several weeks and they torpedo you’re team because they don’t live up to expectations.  Especially at WR it’s usually easy to find a startable replacement.  I luckily had Tyler Boyd, but even if I didn’t get him, there are other guys you can plug in.  Having a top RB suck is much more debilitating to a fantasy team.

I am surprised to see a few people list Watson, I thought he has had a pretty good year.  I guess if your were expecting a Mahomes type year you are disappointed, but those type of season don't happen very often.

10 minutes ago, chief79 said:

I am surprised to see a few people list Watson, I thought he has had a pretty good year.  I guess if your were expecting a Mahomes type year you are disappointed, but those type of season don't happen very often.

People were expecting him to be Mahomes or at least the top scoring QB by a decent margin based on how good he was in 2017. He's still had a good year but relative to his ADP and how deep QB was this season I'll call him a bust.

Archived