Sign in to follow this  
oresteszero

Biggest Busts of 2018

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, crotchcrickets said:

fournette AND bell for me.

 

traded fournette for bell in an "upside" deal after week 4.  needless to say i lost that bet.  i sit at 7-8 right now and technically am still in my playoff hunt, but im running on fumes.  (we play all 17 weeks and take our playoffs offline throughout the real playoffs).

 

I'm interested to hear how this works. Do you take like a DFS approach for the playoffs? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, JoeJoe88 said:

Good luck with that.  And with all the talk of him being BOOM/BUST, he's only had three weeks in full point PPR this year where he hasn't eclipsed double digit points.  He also averages 22.

 

Good for him in ppr leagues.  I don't enjoy ppr.  I don't like points for the sake of points.  It's silly to me that a play that nets negative yardage can actually gain a player points.  I like to view fantasy points as a way to help measure in-game contribution, but thats me.  Different strokes for different folks.  I look through his week to week scores in standard scoring and I see remarkable inconsistency.  I'm not saying he isn't valuable or shouldn't be a consensus top 5 WR at worst next year - only that for me personally he's going to have to go closer to a WR8-ish price to end up on my team.  I'm not saying I'm more right in my stance than you or anyone else, its just my preference.  I can see the appeal of his big weeks, its just not a style I'm gonna pay the sticker price for.  To each their own :)

Edited by Bryce84

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Jaw1 said:

 

I'm interested to hear how this works. Do you take like a DFS approach for the playoffs? 

kinda.

 

top 6 teams go to the playoffs.  

 

We redraft teams for the first round and then go roto style.  

 

After wild card weekend, the team with the least amount of points is eliminated.

 

Repeat for the 2nd round of the playoffs.

 

4 teams redraft a third time for the conference championship and superbowl.

 

Our rosters are huge too so we're basically drafting guys from off the streets.  

 

I won the championship one year cause john kuhn had a monster playoffs lol

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Bryce84 said:

 

Good for him in ppr leagues.  I don't enjoy ppr.  I don't like points for the sake of points.  It's silly to me that a play that nets negative yardage can actually gain a player points.  I like to view fantasy points as a way to help measure in-game contribution, but thats me.  Different strokes for different folks. 

 

One way to see it is not points for the sake of points, but points for the sake of the same stats that players get evaluated on :) Guy goes up for a new contract, they want to know about yards and tds, but also catches (and carries, my keeper league gives fractional points for those). Heck, if the league formally tracked them, I'd have a stat category for skill position players throwing blocks :)  And I'd take away points for penalties against players. You score a TD but get an unsportsmanlike? +6, then -2.

 

But as you say...

 

s-l300.jpg

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/21/2018 at 8:09 PM, mar1kle said:

Dud's...Sux or hurt doesn't matter. If you drafted these guys you probably are not reading this on Championship week!

 

 

RB

 

 

D Johnson

Hunt

 

 

QB

 

Newton

Wilson

 

I'm the Hunt and Newton owner, set scoring records, playing against the DJ owner for the ship in one league.

 

Newton was one of the top QBs for most of the season. If you didn't grab a backup, then yeah, you're screwed. But 'bust'? Hardly, man. Wilson in that league is one spot below Newton in scoring. You might have paid more for Wilson after last year, but he scored a bunch of points. 2-3-4 TDs most games, iirc. 

 

DJ  is the tenth scoring RB in that league (1/2 ppr). Hunt was near the top until he got canned. So again, if you didn't have a backup, you're hosed. But he also did a lot to get you a massive winning record before then. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Bryce84 said:

 

Good for him in ppr leagues.  I don't enjoy ppr.  I don't like points for the sake of points.  It's silly to me that a play that nets negative yardage can actually gain a player points.  

 

Yeah there are guys that feast in PPR but really aren't that great or useful in real life but imo the good outweighs the bad (those type of guys that get the "meaningless" extended handoff type catches). It helps to decrease the value of QBs and simultaneously props up WRs and to a lesser extent RBs (although I think with less and less 3 down bellcows and more and more receiving backs it helps adapt with the direction the league is going). It lowers some of the volatility of WRs which is an inherently volatile position and makes it so skill positions aren't quite as TD reliant (in many instances if your "elite" guy doesn't score a TD he can be outscored by a far inferior player who does very little except score a TD and TDs are of course difficult to predict and from a game to game perspective a little flukey). I guess scoring TDs are literally the point of the game but I think standard puts too much emphasis on the guy who crosses the line when other guys often do a lot of the heavy lifting to get in that position (and imo just .1 pt per yard doesn't do enough justice and ppr helps some although it is far from perfect and creates issues). Like most things though it adds an extra layer of complexity and the "benefit" it provides may be offset by the new issues it creates (my league tried 1st down bonuses 1 year and it was a bit of a mess especially since it makes projections a lot tougher).

 

Ultimately though your strategy should be different depending on the scoring method and you should adjust your strategy accordingly so it comes down to personal preference. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jaw1 said:

 

Yeah there are guys that feast in PPR but really aren't that great or useful in real life but imo the good outweighs the bad (those type of guys that get the "meaningless" extended handoff type catches). It helps to decrease the value of QBs and simultaneously props up WRs and to a lesser extent RBs (although I think with less and less 3 down bellcows and more and more receiving backs it helps adapt with the direction the league is going). It lowers some of the volatility of WRs which is an inherently volatile position and makes it so skill positions aren't quite as TD reliant (in many instances if your "elite" guy doesn't score a TD he can be outscored by a far inferior player who does very little except score a TD and TDs are of course difficult to predict and from a game to game perspective a little flukey). I guess scoring TDs are literally the point of the game but I think standard puts too much emphasis on the guy who crosses the line when other guys often do a lot of the heavy lifting to get in that position (and imo just .1 pt per yard doesn't do enough justice and ppr helps some although it is far from perfect and creates issues). Like most things though it adds an extra layer of complexity and the "benefit" it provides may be offset by the new issues it creates (my league tried 1st down bonuses 1 year and it was a bit of a mess especially since it makes projections a lot tougher).

 

Ultimately though your strategy should be different depending on the scoring method and you should adjust your strategy accordingly so it comes down to personal preference. 

 

I agree with you completely on pretty much everything.  I've dabbled in the Yahoo Cup thing and have come to notice the only aspect of PPR I do like is that it relieves the TD-heavy nature of standard scoring, minimizing volatility.  However, I can't get behind negative plays being positive points.  Which is why I'm going to try and incorporate Points Per 1st Down next year (probably .25 or .5).  I think that's a much better middle ground that helps offset TD-heaviness as well as gives a better representation of a player's impact on the game and doesn't positively reward negative plays.

 

Anyways, I don't want to derail this thread :)  Appreciate the comments and perspective!

Edited by Bryce84
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is Gronk no doubt. Drafted in the 2nd round, only missed 1 game all season, so we were forced to start him every week with mediocre production.  2 points last week and a gooseegg today in championship week. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, LuckBox1 said:

Gronk. Biggest bust in recent times.

 

I agree. Do you think he will "retire" when Brady does? He said he would.. but I don't believe it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, phegotgame14 said:

DJ/Gronk/Bell/OBJ/Dalvin Cook

 

Cook I dunno , if you survived and held him until week 12,  he had a real solid finish to the season

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, monkeyzonSteroids said:

This is Gronk no doubt. Drafted in the 2nd round, only missed 1 game all season, so we were forced to start him every week with mediocre production.  2 points last week and a gooseegg today in championship week. 

 

Dude in my league traded next year's first round pick for Gronk after week 1. Oops.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gronk - Injury prone, and a party animal. Never drafting this clown again.

 

Leveon Bell - Holding our for a contract.

 

David Johnson - Not the same guy since that season ending injury last season. Could be dealing with a bad O-line, and anemic offensive scheme.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/23/2018 at 10:22 AM, Brotherbock said:

 

I'm the Hunt and Newton owner, set scoring records, playing against the DJ owner for the ship in one league.

 

Newton was one of the top QBs for most of the season. If you didn't grab a backup, then yeah, you're screwed. But 'bust'? Hardly, man. Wilson in that league is one spot below Newton in scoring. You might have paid more for Wilson after last year, but he scored a bunch of points. 2-3-4 TDs most games, iirc. 

 

DJ  is the tenth scoring RB in that league (1/2 ppr). Hunt was near the top until he got canned. So again, if you didn't have a backup, you're hosed. But he also did a lot to get you a massive winning record before then. 

Agree todisagree...To draft slot they are bust imo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't have much fantasy hate left after winning in my only league, but players that let me down that I drafted: Kenyan Drake in the 3rd round, Larry Fitzgerald in the 4th, Jamaal Williams in the 7th (I must've been drunk on that pick), and Trey Burton in the 8th

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.