Rotoworld.com Forums

Biggest Busts of 2018

oresteszero

Re the earlier PPR discussion, when PPR was created no one envisioned a league where a guy could have 14 catches in one game and it would just be one of several great performances in that given week. We have a game left and 9 players already have 100+ catches. 4 more players are within striking distance of 100 receptions. 20 years ago the league leader in receptions had 90 catches. That doesn't sniff the top 10 today.

As the league becomes more pass heavy, PPR will increasingly skew things to one of the four major fantasy positions. That and rewarding games like 8 catches for 33 yards as somehow a good performance are problems with PPR. Why should one act be elevated above others for a special bonus? 99 percent of leagues don't give points per carry or per completion, for example.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Ace_King said:

Re PPR, when PPR was created no one envisioned a league where a guy could have 14 catches in one game and it would just be one of several great performances in that given week. We have a game left and 9 players already have 100+ catches. 4 more players are within striking distance of 100 receptions. 20 years ago the league leader in receptions had 90 catches. That doesn't sniff the top 10 today.

As the league becomes more pass heavy, PPR will increasingly skew things to one of the four major fantasy positions. That and rewarding games like 8 catches for 33 yards as somehow a good performance are problems with PPR. 

Standard sucks.

3 minutes ago, kdko said:

Standard sucks.

It's an honest refection of what happened on the field. PPR isn't. The problems with standard (over reliance on TDs,  players not looking double digits point totals) can be addressed in other ways.

Rushing for 100 yards isn't the same as catching 6 passes for 40 yards.

33 minutes ago, Ace_King said:

It's an honest refection of what happened on the field. PPR isn't. The problems with standard (over reliance on TDs,  players not looking double digits point totals) can be addressed in other ways.

Rushing for 100 yards isn't the same as catching 6 passes for 40 yards.

Good point.  That's why I think i'll give bonuses for 50/100 yard rushing games next year to help improve that.  Only 20 WRs/RBs caught over 6 passes last week.  8 RB's had over 100 yards.  I think adding a little bonus for RB's in PPR can help alleviate the difference.

1 hour ago, Ace_King said:

Re the earlier PPR discussion, when PPR was created no one envisioned a league where a guy could have 14 catches in one game and it would just be one of several great performances in that given week. We have a game left and 9 players already have 100+ catches. 4 more players are within striking distance of 100 receptions. 20 years ago the league leader in receptions had 90 catches. That doesn't sniff the top 10 today.

As the league becomes more pass heavy, PPR will increasingly skew things to one of the four major fantasy positions. That and rewarding games like 8 catches for 33 yards as somehow a good performance are problems with PPR. Why should one act be elevated above others for a special bonus? 99 percent of leagues don't give points per carry or per completion, for example.

I always thought PPR leagues were to help people new to fantasy and to level the playing field a little bit.  Standard is certainly more challenging.  

Just now, chief79 said:

I always thought PPR leagues were to help people new to fantasy and to level the playing field a little bit.  Standard is certainly more challenging.  

:lol: What a stupid comment.

2 hours ago, kdko said:

Good point.  That's why I think i'll give bonuses for 50/100 yard rushing games next year to help improve that.  Only 20 WRs/RBs caught over 6 passes last week.  8 RB's had over 100 yards.  I think adding a little bonus for RB's in PPR can help alleviate the difference.

In one of my leagues that is full PPR we increased rushing yardage points to 1.25 per 10 yards to give RBs a boost 

It's my understanding that PPR was created to give WRs a boost in an era of bell cow backs where RBs were king. That isn't really needed today since there are 1) so few bell cows left and 2) WRs have increased yardage and TD wise naturally as the league has become more pass heavy. 4,000 yards was a monster passing season as recently as the 2000s. It's merely average to a bit above average today.

1 hour ago, Ace_King said:

In one of my leagues that is full PPR we increased rushing yardage points to 1.25 per 10 yards to give RBs a boost 

It's my understanding that PPR was created to give WRs a boost in an era of bell cow backs where RBs were king. That isn't really needed today since there are 1) so few bell cows left and 2) WRs have increased yardage and TD wise naturally as the league has become more pass heavy. 4,000 yards was a monster passing season as recently as the 2000s. It's merely average to a bit above average today.

2.5 pts for a 100 yard rushing game, oooh, big deal. some boost.

1 hour ago, Corey In Da House said:

2.5 pts for a 100 yard rushing game, oooh, big deal. some boost.

It's a 25 percent increase in rushing scoring. 80 rushing yards yields 10 points, the same as 4 receptions for 60 yards. Absent the adjustment, 4 receptions for 60 yards would generate 10 points versus the rusher's 8. 

The idea was to have baseline solid games and equalize the scoring. Since RBs catch some passes too you don't need a full analagoue to PPR (e.g., points per carry to mimic the points the typical WR gets per game from receptions alone) to effectuate equity. 25 percent makes a difference. 

The upshot is the league resembles half PPR in the relative weighting of RBs to WRs among the top scorers and in the weighting of receptions among RBs, while preserving full PPR, which most of the league wanted. (If I had my way I would abolish PPR and halve points for TDs.)

ToM Brady. 8 tds in the final 9 games is an absolute joke and when you consider the ping pong style of football today it’s eveb worse. I lost my first round seed because of him and lost the championship because of him. 

9 minutes ago, chud12 said:

ToM Brady. 8 tds in the final 9 games is an absolute joke and when you consider the ping pong style of football today it’s eveb worse. I lost my first round seed because of him and lost the championship because of him. 

Wish people would have paid attention to how much he drops off as the season goes on. He shouldn't have been drafted in the top 10 QB's and next year all NE offensive players should be downgraded because he is only going to get worse. 

11 hours ago, SteelBallin said:

David Johnson..I think he'll be great again but when you are a top 3 pick you should be awesome. He was not awesome. Basically had to hope and pray for him to get 15 points a week

Leveon Bell should take notice on what happens when the team around you sucks.

2 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

Wish people would have paid attention to how much he drops off as the season goes on. He shouldn't have been drafted in the top 10 QB's and next year all NE offensive players should be downgraded because he is only going to get worse. 

I was well aware of the drop but it was never like this. He was a bottom barrel qb for half a year. In years past he was still a top 15 guy that didn’t lose u weeks. 

On 12/21/2018 at 2:42 PM, SkinsChargersFan said:

2018 All-Bust Team

QB: Rodgers

RB: Bell

RB: Fournette

WR: Baldwin

WR: Hogan

TE: Gronk

Flex: David Johnson

K: Gostkowski

DST: Jaguars

Rogers was really painful for me because I never draft a QB early. He dropped to the 5th and I figured what could go wrong. In reality, it shouldn't be a shock that he struggled with the inexperience at WR and friction between him and the coach.

Tom Brady was average and underwhelming at best all season long. The fact that so many people stuck with him instead of just streaming QB's based on matchup is a perfect example of name value rather than what's actually happening on the field. The same reason he got voted into the Pro Bowl.

6 minutes ago, Sartorialism said:

Tom Brady was average and underwhelming at best all season long. The fact that so many people stuck with him instead of just streaming QB's based on matchup is a perfect example of name value rather than what's actually happening on the field. The same reason he got voted into the Pro Bowl.

Brady’s  play was average at best be he did have 19 total tds through 7 games. He was a fridge top 5 guy at the time even if it was ugly as hell. And I was in a two qb league so I had little choice but to roll with him all year. 

On 12/21/2018 at 4:34 PM, SharkSwimmer said:

For a player who did not suffer a serious injury and mostly played all year so far, I would think Gronk would be one of the bigger busts.

I agree! The problem is that if he was playing you couldn't bench him. 

14 hours ago, SteelBallin said:

David Johnson..I think he'll be great again but when you are a top 3 pick you should be awesome. He was not awesome. Basically had to hope and pray for him to get 15 points a week

Anybody who picked DJ over Gurley, Zeke, Barkley etc. got a bust.

Archived