Rotoworld.com Forums

WEEK 16 - ALL GAMES THREAD 12/23!

Members_Only_76

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Brotherbock said:

LOL. Love how it's an insult to say that someone is supporting someone else. Stay classy. 

Sure thing "brother". You should find a less problematic username. Smash the patriarchy or whatever you turds are whining about these days

12 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

So you're saying soccer still has a shot? No commercials!

It is funny how both you and @Chwf3rd seem to have read my mind on this.

As you have probably guessed, I grew up with European football, and NFL is an acquired taste for me. In the end I love both, but I have always doubted if soccer provides the constant excitement the American audience seems to crave (which is probably not even true, because, you know, baseball).

In any case, in Europe money ruins the sport in a different way. One thing I love in American sports is how teams can go bottom to first in the course of one season; that's unheard of in soccer, and that's because of the money. The Champions League is the prime example of this; 25 years a team from a small country (Red Star Belgrade, Ajax Amsterdam, Porto) could still win, now only Madrid or Barcelona stand a chance).

In the mean time, does soccer have a shot in the US? I think any sport can have a shot that can present itself with the maximum of excitement and the minimum of interruptions. Personally, I've always rooted for the Lingerie Bowl.

3 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

Owning Doug Baldwin this year was really annoying. I needed him earlier in the season he gave me zeros after I am eliminated he gets his s--- together 

Was hurt in preseason and most of the year, still isnt right

1 minute ago, vthokie3 said:

Man tyreek has been so disappointing since that ravens game

Yup. Hate to say it. I've loved owning him this year but give me a guy who goes 20 and then 20 over a 45 + 5 every time

1 minute ago, Boudewijn said:

In the mean time, does soccer have a shot in the US? I think any sport can have a shot that can present itself with the maximum of excitement and the minimum of interruptions. Personally, I've always rooted for the Lingerie Bowl.

Nope!

Just now, Boudewijn said:

It is funny how both you and @Chwf3rd seem to have read my mind on this.

As you have probably guessed, I grew up with European football, and NFL is an acquired taste for me. In the end I love both, but I have always doubted if soccer provides the constant excitement the American audience seems to crave (which is probably not even true, because, you know, baseball).

In any case, in Europe money ruins the sport in a different way. One thing I love in American sports is how teams can go bottom to first in the course of one season; that's unheard of in soccer, and that's because of the money. The Champions League is the prime example of this; 25 years a team from a small country (Red Star Belgrade, Ajax Amsterdam, Porto) could still win, now only Madrid or Barcelona stand with a chance).

Its only anecdotal, but in my experience it seems like many more kids are playing soccer now and much less are playing football.  I have to think that will translate in ratings/popularity in the future.  Plus young people don't watch baseball anymore so maybe lower popularity for one sport leads to more viewers for another

3 minutes ago, OmegaRed88 said:

I hate it when garbage o lines lead the league in rushing

I wasn’t referring to their run blocking. I was referring to the 3rd and king situation. And down a couple of linemen. 

10 minutes ago, Chwf3rd said:

Its only anecdotal, but in my experience it seems like many more kids are playing soccer now and much less are playing football.  I have to think that will translate in ratings/popularity in the future.  Plus young people don't watch baseball anymore so maybe lower popularity for one sport leads to more viewers for another

That doesn't necessarily translate into popularity. Football requires more organization, more structure than other sports. Basketball is played everywhere by everyone despite geographical differences, race, etc because of access to courts and minimal requirements.  I see people from all walks of life playing basketball. This is played way more than soccer and football. You can have a pick-up game anywhere.

Football is a different beast, but by no means less popular.

Archived