taobball

Luis Castillo 2019 Outlook

1 minute ago, bradwatson said:

This guy has been a true ace but anyone else concerned about today @Miller Park? I'm starting but don't feel good about it.

Not worried. If Yelich is out, even better. 

• Like 1

I think he's pretty much earned must-start status at this point in the season. I get your point that @MIL isn't great. But personally, the only place I'd sit him right now is @COL, where I would consider sitting anyone.

This is the best pitcher in the league. I don’t care who or where it’s against, he’s in my lineup. 

Sweet, Yelich is out again today, no offense...

Edited by bradwatson

6 minutes ago, bradwatson said:

Sweet, Yelich is out again today, no offense...

I’m looking for 7 innings of one run ball and 10 K’s baby lets do it! 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, rasto21585 said:

Giddy up!!!

Queue the 2 homer game by Orlando Arcia just to kick us Castillo owners in the jumblies.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bradwatson said:

Welp a total clunker today. Damn.

Yuppppp bottom of the lineup raked him. Just gotta hope for a rebound. 

^it was good instinct not to start him. But you still can't second guess it. He's pitched to well to sit anywhere but @COL imo.

31 minutes ago, rasto21585 said:

Ugh what happened today? I thought he could easily handle the pirates.

Couldn’t find the strike zone. To many walks, a hit batter and a balk. Not a pretty day. However his infield botched a routine double play that really cost him that last inning. No excuses though, it was a bad performance. 

1000 dollar arm with a 10 cent head backed by a bunch butchers in the infield today. 

Throw in some bad luck with BABIP and you get today's line.  Barf. 

1 minute ago, treat88 said:

1000 dollar arm with a 10 cent head backed by a bunch butchers in the infield today. 

Throw in some bad luck with BABIP and you get today's line.  Barf. 

You see how bad his infield messed up on him? Lol I couldn’t believe it. 

1 minute ago, Ryansm11 said:

You see how bad his infield messed up on him? Lol I couldn’t believe it. 

It was gross. Shoulda been outta there with one ER, a QS, and a shot at the W. 

That said, there's a little bit of deserve what ya get when you run counts full on the 5-9 hitters regularly and give up the BB. Especially when ya get up 0-2, or 1-2 quick. Just go at em man and don't leave such a razor thin margin for success.

But yeah, his defense bent him over today. 

23 minutes ago, Josean Pelota said:

He'll have ups and downs, but his peripherals suggest there should be more ups than downs. 

Can we pencil him as an ace going forward or still temper expectations a bit?

12 minutes ago, rasto21585 said:

Can we pencil him as an ace going forward or still temper expectations a bit?

I don't pencil in anyone as an ace until/unless they have a couple of seasons of ace or near ace under their belt. That's just me, personally. I'd say he's likely to be solidly above average, maybe even gravitate between tier 2 and 3 on most weeks. But expect some regression because his LOB and BABIP are still too low, and his walks are too high. 

Anyone know if Castillo is really missing his 2nd start for this scoring period (our scoring period goes M-Su). We have 7 starts per week and our league allows 1 replacement start due to injury or rotation change.

It originally showed him going against WAS again this weekend. Now it’s showing his next start for Tues the 4th @ STL. 

1 minute ago, Heroebal said:

Anyone know if Castillo is really missing his 2nd start for this scoring period (our scoring period goes M-Su). We have 7 starts per week and our league allows 1 replacement start due to injury or rotation change.

It originally showed him going against WAS again this weekend. Now it’s showing his next start for Tues the 4th @ STL. 

That is correct. He is pitching on 6/4.

How do we feel about him ROS?

Been walking guys a ton, underlying numbers are troublesome (especially SIERA).

Continues to move up Pitcherlist's rankings tho... Up to #7 SP as of yesterday

1 hour ago, Orioles123 said:

How do we feel about him ROS?

Been walking guys a ton, underlying numbers are troublesome (especially SIERA).

Continues to move up Pitcherlist's rankings tho... Up to #7 SP as of yesterday

He's one of those guys who's going to always outpitch his peripheral numbers, he's effectively wild.

Since you mentioned his SIERA my guess is the Fangraphs article got you asking about ROS. Personally, that article was a little too heavy handed and an analytics tin foil hat way of looking at baseball.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, High&Inside said:

He's one of those guys who's going to always outpitch his peripheral numbers, he's effectively wild.

Since you mentioned his SIERA my guess is the Fangraphs article got you asking about ROS. Personally, that article was a little too heavy handed and an analytics tin foil hat way of looking at baseball.

I did. And I somewhat agree but it is worth putting stock into, especially considering he's been struggling over past several starts

38 minutes ago, Orioles123 said:

I did. And I somewhat agree but it is worth putting stock into, especially considering he's been struggling over past several starts

Sure not denying the value in the analytics, but the writer basically says he will no longer produce like he has thus far in the season. And that's a leap.

Edited by High&Inside

I mean the walks are out of control, I don’t need to look at the peripherals. I don’t care how good you are. You can’t walk 3-5 batters a game and succeed on a span of 170+ innings. It will catch up eventually. Everyone is starting to lay off his pitches it’s whats happening. He just needs to throw more first pitch strikes and stay in the zone early and 2nd 3rd time through he can start getting swings outside.