BrianM

I Quit My League- Here's Why

Hidden

Tell stories of your league or leagues that you had to quit.   

Hidden

I've got one foot out the door of a dynasty league due to owner inactivity. NOTHING is more frustrating than sending trades to guys and getting zero response. Trades just sit there for 3-4 weeks until I cancel them or the trade deadline passes. I mean, if you're not going to participate in the league, why not just join a best ball league instead?

• Like 5

Hidden

The best one I have is old, but its good enough to kick this off:

I finish the season in a three way tie for 6th place.  I outpoint both of those teams, so Yahoo has me in, i'm making moves, ready to go to playoffs.     But, not so fast!        What's this?  I lost the head to head matchup with both the other guys!  That's right, head to head for a three way tie.      I'm now out of the playoffs, and the commish changed some scoring around so i'd now be the lower seed.  He did this 3 days or so after the week ended too. 

And yep, you guessed it, my 6th place team got hot and would've taken the whole thing down in the playoffs.  

Posted (edited) · Hidden
Hidden
3 minutes ago, wonderbread said:

I've got one foot out the door of a dynasty league due to owner inactivity. NOTHING is more frustrating than sending trades to guys and getting zero response. Trades just sit there for 3-4 weeks until I cancel them or the trade deadline passes. I mean, if you're not going to participate in the league, why not just join a best ball league instead?

Ugh, THE worst.   The Yahoo FF app mostly helps with that now, but nothing in the world was worse than ignored trade requests.      I also quit a league I was in for about 10 years for inactivity.  The same 3 guys (me included) finished top 3 every year, but it was low money and nobody really tried.   Why bother?

Also sucks that you're in a dynasty like that.   Its hard to make that kind of commitment, at least in redraft everyone goes back to zero and you can just find anyone to come in clean slate.   But hey, commish should've found better teams, not your fault. 

Edited by BrianM

Hidden
23 minutes ago, wonderbread said:

i boot ppl in my league for repeated expiring trade offers

Hidden
15 minutes ago, K197040 said:

Was in a 12 team PPR.   Didn't know any of the other managers.   Seemed like I was always losing close games due to the opposing team having just traded for an optimal player.  I went back and looked at all of the trades at the end of the season and created a spreadsheet that analyzed the impact.   While I was doing this, I got a head's up from one of the other managers.   He told me the name of the commish, Peter Pernell.   It turns out I went to high school with him.   My senior year, I was dating this girl, Susan, and we were supposed to go to prom together but she ended up going with Peter.   F*** that league. 

What’re the odds of this? Haha wow. Sorry to hear.

Hidden
6 minutes ago, nygiantsfan913 said:

i boot ppl in my league for repeated expiring trade offers

I came close to the same, but a guy shaped up this season, no red marks.     I assume any FF league with an app has a notification system nowadays, so it should be mandatory that everyone uses the app and enables the notifications

Hidden
9 minutes ago, joebaker23 said:

What’re the odds of this? Haha wow. Sorry to hear.

And here's the kicker.   After high school, me and Susan got married and had a son.   Long story short...Peter was the father!

• Haha 5

Hidden

I was in a league and the majority of them signed up for it and then never changed their team or line up. It was a league of 12 with three at most active players. And even they were a bit clueless. So yeah, it was just a bit boring and easy. I'm British though and they were all from the UK, but still. If you're going to sign up for it, participate!

• Like 1

Hidden
2 minutes ago, K197040 said:

And here's the kicker.   After high school, me and Susan got married and had a son.   Long story short...Peter was the father!

Is this for real??? :blink:

• Haha 1

Hidden

This thread is dumb....keep it to yourself, we don’t care.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Hidden
3 minutes ago, K197040 said:

So...........your wife cheated on you with this guy, they had a kid together.............and you joined his league without knowing it was run by him??

Also......this tidbit is in the SECOND post?    Seems to me that's more prevalent than the prom thing.   

• Like 1

Hidden
3 minutes ago, BrianM said:

So...........your wife cheated on you with this guy, they had a kid together.............and you joined his league without knowing it was run by him??

Also......this tidbit is in the SECOND post?    Seems to me that's more prevalent than the prom thing.   

Well...we didn't get married until after I had quit the league.  This was just like a year ago. 

• Haha 4

Hidden
26 minutes ago, Shortnphat said:

This thread is dumb....keep it to yourself, we don’t care.

Your comment is dumb...keep it to yourself, we don’t care. If you don’t like this thread, don’t read this thread. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hidden

Oh boo hoo you quit a league. 

You ain’t the first guy to quit a freaking league. 

• Haha 2

Hidden

Lots of league losers seem extra salty today with the negativity. Hopefully 2019 is easier on your life situations. God bless.

• Haha 1

Hidden

Its just for storytelling, fellas.    Do you call up TV networks you don't watch to tell them they should close up shop?   If its not for you, great...........read something else.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Hidden

I have never quit on a league...but have politely declined to return to a few because they failed me.

• Like 1

Hidden
2 hours ago, K197040 said:

Was in a 12 team PPR.   Didn't know any of the other managers.   Seemed like I was always losing close games due to the opposing team having just traded for an optimal player.  I went back and looked at all of the trades at the end of the season and created a spreadsheet that analyzed the impact.   While I was doing this, I got a head's up from one of the other managers.   He told me the name of the commish, Peter Pernell.   It turns out I went to high school with him.   My senior year, I was dating this girl, Susan, and we were supposed to go to prom together but she ended up going with Peter.   F*** that league. 

Well...we didn't get married until after I had quit the league.  This was just like a year ago. 

Lmfao. 

I needed this to close out a horrible year in sports in general. Thanks man. 

If only this is a true story, then this would be the best thread ever on Rotoworld. Ever. And I have been here for years and years. 

• Like 2

Hidden
59 minutes ago, ginocan said:

Lmfao. 

I needed this to close out a horrible year in sports in general. Thanks man. 

If only this is a true story, then this would be the best thread ever on Rotoworld. Ever. And I have been here for years and years. 

Yeah. I'm not buying it either.  I'd like to know the timeline.  How old is he now?  Was in the league, found out the commish was the high school rival, so then quit.  Then married the wife and had a kid, but presumably the wife was still cheating around with this rival since he is the father?  So what is the status of this family unit right now?  He's raising the son as his own?  He can tolerate that but can't tolerate being in a fantasy league with the guy where he didn't even know who he was in the first place?  It'd be a fun story if it was true, but I think the author needs to rethink it a little.

Hidden

I am leaving season long fantasy formats due to an overall decline in interest in the NFL after the last few years. I'm not sure what has caused this disinterest or why I am just not as into it as I used to be, but season long formats just feel fluky and less likely to give you an ROI for the research and time you put into them.

I much prefer daily fantasy sports for most professional leagues. Season long and dynasty baseball is hella fun and strategic, and that is likely where I will head next. Plus, I kinda feel like I have season long figured out as a game overall. In my successful leagues, I just try to do the same thing every year and my gut is usually right. Sometimes though, it's just hard to overcome a poor draft position or injuries to your squad as the season progresses.

• Like 1

Hidden
13 minutes ago, CooL said:

Yeah. I'm not buying it either.  I'd like to know the timeline.  How old is he now?  Was in the league, found out the commish was the high school rival, so then quit.  Then married the wife and had a kid, but presumably the wife was still cheating around with this rival since he is the father?  So what is the status of this family unit right now?  He's raising the son as his own?  He can tolerate that but can't tolerate being in a fantasy league with the guy where he didn't even know who he was in the first place?  It'd be a fun story if it was true, but I think the author needs to rethink it a little.

Yes...I quit the league before I got married.  No...she wasn't really cheating on me.  We were having trouble conceiving.   Unbeknownst to me, she underwent in vitro fertilization.   When she got pregnant, I thought it was mine.   It was only a couple of years later when she told me the true story.   I made it my quest to find out who the donor was.   Through Ancestry.com's dna service, I was able to connect and learn who his biological father was.  Much to my chagrin, it was that damn Peter Pernell.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Hidden
23 minutes ago, K197040 said:

Yes...I quit the league before I got married.  No...she wasn't really cheating on me.  We were having trouble conceiving.   Unbeknownst to me, she underwent in vitro fertilization.   When she got pregnant, I thought it was mine.   It was only a couple of years later when she told me the true story.   I made it my quest to find out who the donor was.   Through Ancestry.com's dna service, I was able to connect and learn who his biological father was.  Much to my chagrin, it was that damn Peter Pernell.

Amazing stuff.  Keep it coming.  I am more than ready for a fourth helping.

Only one curious thing: I googled Peter Pernell and got, like, ZERO hits!

Hidden
4 hours ago, BrianM said:

The best one I have is old, but its good enough to kick this off:

I finish the season in a three way tie for 6th place.  I outpoint both of those teams, so Yahoo has me in, i'm making moves, ready to go to playoffs.     But, not so fast!        What's this?  I lost the head to head matchup with both the other guys!  That's right, head to head for a three way tie.      I'm now out of the playoffs, and the commish changed some scoring around so i'd now be the lower seed.  He did this 3 days or so after the week ended too. 

And yep, you guessed it, my 6th place team got hot and would've taken the whole thing down in the playoffs.  

in my dynasty on yahoo it goes by h2h even if there is a 2 way tie