Ecofolux

Corey Seager 2019 Outlook

How much is there to this "rumor" he's back by Friday? I want to be ready to plug him in if so. Hard to believe they don't wait til next week, but just wondering...

This is a curious blurb, especially considering RW themselves brought up the scenario of no minor league assignment back on July 2.

That being what it may - anyone have any idea if this has teeth or just fantasy...

Dodgers manager Dave Roberts told reporters on Wednesday that it's possible Corey Seager (hamstring) could be activated before the All-Star break.

Advice: Well that's interesting. The assumption was that Seager would come back after the break, but it sounds like he's made enough progress that he could be back before the games stop. We think it's more than likely that the Dodgers play it safe with the shortstop, but at the very least, he should be back by the middle of the month if he doesn't suffer a setback.

More: Alanna Rizzo on Twitter

(Rotoworld.com)

Wow - activated and still no action on this thread.

Dude's ready to roll Friday 

Dodgers activated SS Corey Seager from the 10-day injured list.

Seager will be ready to rock for the Dodgers' first game out of the All-Star break Friday night in Boston after missing nearly four weeks of action with a left hamstring strain. The 25-year-old shortstop had registered an .828 OPS with eight home runs, 38 RBI, and 40 runs scored in 66 games before the injury. He went 2-for-4 on his two-game minor league rehab assignment at High-A Rancho Cucamonga.

Jul 10, 2019, 3:41 PM ET

Seager is not “rolling” whatsoever. Problem with this guy is he takes his sweet a** time after all his injuries to get going again, and then when he does, get a long-term injury. I thought this would be a great bounce back year, but I’m leaning on never drafting him again. 

I hope he does in fact start heating up for all owners, but his counting stars for a 12-team are rough. 

• Like 1

Taking into account the lack of durability he is In the overrated catagory.  

6 minutes ago, B&F said:

Taking into account the lack of durability he is In the overrated catagory.  

I said that earlier in the year and got greeted with pitch forks.  He just doesn’t have an overly fantasy friendly game.  No SBs as mentioned, nothing else he does is overly difficult to get in the juiced ball era.  I’m buying next year though if he’s outside the top 100.  At the right price given age, lineup and pedigree I’ll pay a fair price to see if there’s a spike as he matures.

2 hours ago, mevins31 said:

He hasn’t done much going on a few years now

I probably wouldn't draft him real early next season but remember he missed most of last season to TJS and it can take a bit of time to get going again, even after you come back. He still has the talent to be one of the top shortstops, but there are extenuating circumstances in his case. There's a solid chance he can get back to 2016 to 17 Seager with a full season and more time to really recover over the off season. Assuming this season puts him in the twelfth round range, I'd be willing to reach a round or three. 

2 hours ago, phillyphan21 said:

I probably wouldn't draft him real early next season but remember he missed most of last season to TJS and it can take a bit of time to get going again, even after you come back. He still has the talent to be one of the top shortstops, but there are extenuating circumstances in his case. There's a solid chance he can get back to 2016 to 17 Seager with a full season and more time to really recover over the off season. Assuming this season puts him in the twelfth round range, I'd be willing to reach a round or three. 

Does he still have the talent to be one of the top offensive shortstops? What suggests that? 

I see a guy who doesn’t square balls anymore really and isn’t slugging and isn’t really hitting much. I wonder really what he is going forward 

47 minutes ago, mevins31 said:

Does he still have the talent to be one of the top offensive shortstops? What suggests that? 

I see a guy who doesn’t square balls anymore really and isn’t slugging and isn’t really hitting much. I wonder really what he is going forward 

Sometimes it takes a while for a guy to fully come back after long injury absence. Yea, he's healthy enough to play in games but we've seen many players take a while to return to full strength. Sometimes it never happens, but unless you think everything pre TJS was a fluke, he'll be worth a gamble next season, assuming a discounted price. After all, he has shown a few flashes this year, and I find it hard to believe a 20 something year old athlete won't eventually get back to the level he was once at. Would be different if he were a decade older. 

I can see there being some concern in season leagues.  Dynasty/keeper leagues?  You're delusional to let go of him now - trade value is at its lowest AND there's nothing to indicate, that in a power packed lineup, he's not going to consistently be a middle infielder getting you a stat line of .290/.310/25-28/75/90 every year (with certainly the potential to up those power/RBI numbers).  Yep - I'll take that!

Edited by IlliniGuy76
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mevins31 said:

I haven’t watched him a ton this year so asking for someone who has.  The shift killed his terrible brother Kyle.  Do teams shift Corey similarly?  Has he shown ability to drive ball the other way?  Would be curious to see if shift is affecting Corey.

I now understand why I was the only one excited about his coming back (go back a page or so). I was excited about a name. That's all he is at this point. 

Dropped in redraft - dream is dead.

19 minutes ago, SuperJoint said:

I now understand why I was the only one excited about his coming back (go back a page or so). I was excited about a name. That's all he is at this point. 

Dropped in redraft - dream is dead.

he has been traded probably 5 times this season in my NL only dynasty league and it is strictly because of the name. I dropped big money on him in the auction this offseason and was only able to sell him as a throw in for a 3 team deal where I got Robles. terrible.

• Like 1

Approaching Bryce Harper overrated territory.

If he comes at big enough discount though next season I am buying.

Edited by B&F

Some perspective-

I acquired him on May 16. I only missed 12 ABs when he was activated late one week from IL. He’s hitting .305 for me since that time with a decent amount of run production. Yeah, not much power; 5 HRs for me (6 including one on my bench). 45 runs+ RBI during this time (161 ABs). But he’s been plenty productive for almost 2 months. 

The dude came off elbow AND hip surgery. Hasn’t been the best of seasons. But even extrapolating his entire season, (using 687 PAs, what he had in 2016) he’s on pace for:

.265, 17 HR, 103 runs, 88 RBI. 

That would be a career best run+ RBI total. 

All that said, he has been overrated, mainly because he doesn’t steal bases. And I don’t see that changing soon. He’s going to need to have a XBogaerts breakout (someone I’ve often compared him too, fantasy-wise), or he’s JPolanco. Very good, but someone you can grab much later in drafts. SS is just plenty deep, so Seager will need to be .300/30 to bring back value.

Next year’s draft will be interesting. I do think he will be a bargain considering team, pedigree, perception of this season, and coming in healthy.

talent wins out. understand the hate and disappointment but you don't drop talented players that are healthy. just ride it out until they get going.

• Like 1

On 8/16/2019 at 12:33 AM, colepenhagen said:

talent wins out. understand the hate and disappointment but you don't drop talented players that are healthy. just ride it out until they get going.

Finally getting going, but still isn't that special anymore for a SS.

5 hours ago, swfcdan said:

Finally getting going, but still isn't that special anymore for a SS.

Of course his season stats right now aren’t special. He’s been struggling all season long coming back from injury.

Seager’s true ceiling is a .320 hitter and 25-30 HRs  If he can get with the flyball revolution and become a 30-35 HR hitter along with the BA, that’s a pretty special hitter

3 hours ago, UberRebel said:

Of course his season stats right now aren’t special. He’s been struggling all season long coming back from injury.

Seager’s true ceiling is a .320 hitter and 25-30 HRs  If he can get with the flyball revolution and become a 30-35 HR hitter along with the BA, that’s a pretty special hitter

Yeah I mean he leads the league in doubles right now and that’s with missing some time as well.  He finally got hot earlier in the year just to get hurt and when he came back it took him a bit to get to where he is now.  I see him and Bogaerts as very similar players going forward and will happily take Seager in the 7th-9th instead of bogaerts in the 2nd-3rd.

Health is the biggest issue here but hitting at the top of that lineup should make a 100/25-30/100 season very attainable with a solid ba/obp