Corleone

Saquon Barkley 2019 Outlook

7 minutes ago, KennyWoo said:

Remember this the next time you draft a running back on a terrible team.  No matter how good the player is, the team can really drag the guy down.  Poor line, poor game flow, "tanking," "shutting a player down," etc. are all risk elements that pop up.  See also Joe Mixon.

I will remember this but then I remembered Saquon and Joe Mixon last year so nothing really changes for me. The quality of their team is generally already baked into their draft price.

Edited by WaiverLooter
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, WaiverLooter said:

I will remember this but then I remembered Saquon and Joe Mixon last year so nothing really changes for me. The quality of their team is generally already baked into their draft price.

Who saw the 49ers being 8-0? Should we not have drafted Josh Jacobs since Oakland had been perennially terrible? The Chiefs are good, their top RB will be awesome and reliable!

The OP’s argument is terrible. Why not just say “have the foresight to draft the players who will score the most points”.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, KennyWoo said:

Remember this the next time you draft a running back on a terrible team.  No matter how good the player is, the team can really drag the guy down.  Poor line, poor game flow, "tanking," "shutting a player down," etc. are all risk elements that pop up.  See also Joe Mixon.

Out of the top 12 RBs 6 are on teams with winning record while 5 are on teams with losing records.

The difference is staggering.

• Thanks 1

This argument reminds me of LT vs Holmes vs Alexander debate from the mid 2000s. LT was always the back you wanted in fantasy no matter what and I would say to me Barkley is that RB. But LT wasn’t the top scoring RB each year as Holmes and Alexander both outscored him yet still you always wanted LT.

I find it pretty comical that someone named Panthersfan is arguing why C-Mac is better than Barkley in the Barkley thread, you aren’t going to win this argument due to the venue you’ve chosen to have the debate, move it to the McCaffrey thread and you could win but not here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Ddam2013 said:

This argument reminds me of LT vs Holmes vs Alexander debate from the mid 2000s. LT was always the back you wanted in fantasy no matter what and I would say to me Barkley is that RB. But LT wasn’t the top scoring RB each year as Holmes and Alexander both outscored him yet still you always wanted LT.

LT holds the record for most points in a season, which, ironically enough, CMC is within reach of ... so, yeah, Holmes and Alexander were prolific, but LT was the king of that era. 

Any concerns they dial back his workload (or sit) as the season continues to progresses?  There's no way they make the playoffs and why put unnecessary miles on your franchise RB with nothing at stake.  Curious what everyone's thoughts are?

1 minute ago, ColoWrex said:

Any concerns they dial back his workload (or sit) as the season continues to progresses?  There's no way they make the playoffs and why put unnecessary miles on your franchise RB with nothing at stake.  Curious what everyone's thoughts are?

Logically it'd be the smart thing to do, but you just don't see it happen very often, or virtually ever. I'd expect a full workload ROS. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ColoWrex said:

Logically it makes sense, but like BGDDYKWL stated, teams don't do that. It's actually the opposite. Teams will run their running backs into the ground because they are paying them high money to do so. There is little care for the mileage that they put on them hence why RB's don't last long. That's why players always looking for their own best interest (to be paid), especially RB's.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ColoWrex said:

It's a possibility sure.

But Giants games are watchable as long as Barkley plays.  With the biggest market in the country you'd think that ownership will want to keep rolling him out there.

Just now, JE7HorseGod said:

It's a possibility sure.

But Giants games are watchable as long as Barkley plays.  With the biggest market in the country you'd think that ownership will want to keep rolling him out there.

I think they also want to develop Jones and you can't do that with the offensive line they have, Engram/Sheppard out and a "limited" Barkley. There are only so many miracle catches Tate can make in a year. 

I think this week is a "get right" week for Barkley. The Jets defense has done fairly well against RBs this year but they are now down to scrubs at ILB so I could see them using Barkley a ton out of the backfield to expose the Jets weak LBers. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wideopen21 said:

I think they also want to develop Jones and you can't do that with the offensive line they have, Engram/Sheppard out and a "limited" Barkley. There are only so many miracle catches Tate can make in a year. 

I think this week is a "get right" week for Barkley. The Jets defense has done fairly well against RBs this year but they are now down to scrubs at ILB so I could see them using Barkley a ton out of the backfield to expose the Jets weak LBers. 

It's certainly a winnable game where you could see some volume in the second half.

1 minute ago, wideopen21 said:

That's a good point on wanting to develop Jones.  However, with what we've seen from Jones so far if I was the Jets (and upcoming opponents) I would commit to stoping the run and force the Giants to beat em throwing the ball.  

4 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

It's certainly a winnable game where you could see some volume in the second half.

That's an understatement. The Giants are a 2.5 point favorite and I would take the Giants all day at that spread. The Giants suck but the Jets are absolutely crumbling and falling apart. Seems like the locker room is gone which means the end. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ColoWrex said:

That's a good point on wanting to develop Jones.  However, with what we've seen from Jones so far if I was the Jets (and upcoming opponents) I would commit to stoping the run and force the Giants to beat em throwing the ball.  

I think that is exactly what the Cowboys and every other team has done to Barkley most of the year. 

Saquon's rushing stats last 4 games:

8/10

18/72

19/64

14/28

Those are pretty horrible rushing stats for an "elite" RB. But he is getting the Joe Mixon treatment. 

Luckily he has been able to salvage a couple of those weeks with good numbers out of the backfield and area i would guess the Jets are easier to expose unless they have Adams shadow him. 

• Like 1

The guy is too damn good for this s--- to continue. ******** peasants are about to learn to power of Thicc Thigh Saquon.

RB1 overall going forward.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, wideopen21 said:

I think that is exactly what the Cowboys and every other team has done to Barkley most of the year. 

Saquon's rushing stats last 4 games:

8/10

18/72

19/64

14/28

Those are pretty horrible rushing stats for an "elite" RB. But he is getting the Joe Mixon treatment. 

Luckily he has been able to salvage a couple of those weeks with good numbers out of the backfield and area i would guess the Jets are easier to expose unless they have Adams shadow him. 

High ankle sprains are a b****.

The fact that he has come back as quickly as he has makes me think he's probably playing through it and that's sapping a little bit of his explosiveness.

You are right, the Cowboys are a tough matchup and a good defense.

However, these types of injuries do typically heal up before the end of the year.

We may see one or two more games where he's leaving some yards on the field but I'd expect optimal Saquan here by the time the calendar rolls to December...

• Like 1

Fantasy value has tanked without Eli at QB, just like OBJ and Engram.

Eli used to check Saquon into optimal runs. No longer the case with Jones.

Edited by PisEdiRin

2 hours ago, PisEdiRin said:

Fantasy value has tanked without Eli at QB, just like OBJ and Engram.

Eli used to check Saquon into optimal runs. No longer the case with Jones.

The love for Eli by some posters on this board is amazing. Eli is awful at this point in his career and was awful last year. Move on. Jones is awful too and is worse than Eli right now, but there is a chance he improves with experience. The Giants absolutely have to keep playing Jones.

Saquon was great last year and Eli had very little to do with that.

Edited by jsch08