Corleone

Saquon Barkley 2019 Outlook

2 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

anyone see the game who can chime in? What was the deal today?

There were a few issues.

1. Giants were missing two starting O-linemen before losing their starting LT Solder during the game. Jets defense overwhelmed them big time. There were some replays where you can see the Jets just had 6 people in the box and STILL owned the LOS.

2. Horrible play-calling. Sure the Giants scored 27 points, but from a running perspective, everything was vanilla. Basic zone read runs right up the gut. Draw plays up the gut. No sweeps, tosses, off tackles...nothing. Barkley had nowhere to go with the Jets dominating the LOS

3. Barkley got nicked up during the game. They were looking at his shoulder at one point.

4. He had 5 targets, but again the play-calling was atrocious. Nothing really specifically designed for him in the passing game to get into open space.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, nonstopfan said:

2. Horrible play-calling. Sure the Giants scored 27 points, but from a running perspective, everything was vanilla. Basic zone read runs right up the gut. Draw plays up the gut. No sweeps, tosses, off tackles...nothing.

I hate when coaches show no imagination.  To have someone with Barkley's elusiveness and not try to maximize it is beyond idiotic.  Kerryon suffers from the same thing in Detroit.  Similar for Leveon this season.  They were saying on ESPN radio today that going into this game, nearly all of Bell's snaps came from him lined up directly behind the QB.  This for a guy who's literally made a career moving all over the formation.

Coaches are dumb.

• Like 2

I'm guessing some aggravation of the foot injury?  Hopefully he heals during the bye.  But yeah, not a great game and it sucks once again.

Usage and play calling reminds me of Jordan Howard last year.

I can’t deal with this again. Shoot me.

• Haha 1

Watching how Carolina utilizes CMC makes me pissed. I picked Saquon because of the potential to house any ball he touches. But if the o-line sucks that really doesn’t matter. What a mistake.

• Like 2

I was so excited to draft this guy... I'm rooting for him to turn it around.  Great talent... bad situation.

Edited by ColoWrex
Removed my own CSB

This guy can't be fully healthy... sigh

Never expected such a drop from CMC to.........................Saquon and Kamara.

Dalvin crushing those guys as well.

Good news is Barkley and this team have 2 weeks to heal up.

Edited by FUM
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CooL said:

I'm guessing some aggravation of the foot injury?  Hopefully he heals during the bye.  But yeah, not a great game and it sucks once again.

From what I saw, he awkwardly planted his leg or had it stiff when a guy pushed him on a screen play.  He then tried to come back for a short throw at the same time and he came up lame.  He then went to the sideline.  My guess is he rolled his ankle or sprained his knee from the camera view.  Just my 2 cents. 

Dude is clearly not healthy. Its obvious when watching him. He gets regularly housed on pass blocking attempts. This may be controversial but I would not be shocked if they put him on ice for the ROS.

This game reminded me of Barry Sanders’ playoff game in which he went for -1 yard on 13 carries. Ironically, Barkley is the player that reminds me of Barry the most. 

Hopefully, this bye does him well. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Probably came back too early.

He's got two weeks to rest up now. Hopefully they give him a full week off and then get back to practice the next week. They need to start limiting his practices though.

Very disappointing, but nothing to do but to keep plugging him in.  Trade deadline in most standard leagues was this weekend.  Just got to hope that he's healthy.  If they can't run, they should just utilize him on screens.

He's hobbled by a terrible run D and a shaky qb with turnover tendencies.  So frustrating to see him throwing to Tate and Slayton and not really giving their best player a chance to produce.

A draft decision that I regret like most, but if we all had crystal balls, then there would be no sense playing the game.

25 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

He's got two weeks to rest up now. Hopefully they give him a full week off and then get back to practice the next week. They need to start limiting his practices though.

Hopefully he didn't aggravate it yesterday.

3 hours ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Probably came back too early.

He's playing on a terrible team, with a terrible offensive line. See Todd gurley a couple of years ago. 

I'm sure the ankle isn't helping but he's not limping off the field after plays, he's just running into the back of his offensive line who are getting shoved into the backfield.

To top it off, teams don't respect Jones. Sure Jones has made some plays but he's been scoring TDs for opposing defenses every week by literally handing them the ball. 

Saquon has heart, but all the factors you guys mentioned are working against him. I hope and pray to the fantasy gods, he gets right for the stretch run. They have a tasty schedule.

Also, it's a shame it has been rare that all their weapons have been healthy and on the field at the same time.

Tate suspension
Saquon injury
Shepard injury
Engram injury
DJones comfort as a rook
Etc
Etc

9 minutes ago, austin316 said:

Saquon has heart, but all the factors you guys mentioned are working against him. I hope and pray to the fantasy gods, he gets right for the stretch run. They have a tasty schedule.

Also, it's a shame it has been rare that all their weapons have been healthy and on the field at the same time.

Tate suspension
Saquon injury
Shepard injury
Engram injury
DJones comfort as a rook
Etc
Etc

Saquon is all heart, but unfortunately this is an inept organization with Pat Shurmur designing the plays not a Kyle Shanahan one can only dream. . Gettlemen is too busy drafting and trading for 300 lb hog moggy linemen opposed to offensive line or pass rush. . . Add in the fact he's been banged up , offensive line stinks, the entire WR corps has been injured or unavailable at times and you have yourself a lost season. 

Edited by CroNY

Just now, CroNY said:

Saquon is all heart, but unfortunately this is an inept organization with Pat Shurmur designing the plays not a Kyle Shanahan one can only dream. . .Gettlemen is too busy drafting and trading for 300 lb hog moggy linemen opposed to offensive line or pass rush. . . Add in the fact he's been banged up , offensive line stinks, the entire WR corps has been injured or unavailable at times and you have yourself a lost season. 

The Gurley down-year is a great comparison mentioned above.

it's wild that Gallman had a better game filling in than Saquon has had all year. Granted, it was against Washington, but still.

No matter how much he flops he is going to be a top 5 pick next season.

Man, i'd love to own him every year but dealing with these pathetic excuses for NFL teams is just not worth it. Watching good players be useless is a pain in the a**. Jets, Giants, Redksins, Browns, Bengals, and whoever else no thank you. These organizations are so abysmal and pathetic at the top that no matter what they do they'll still suck.

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, wideopen21 said:

He's playing on a terrible team, with a terrible offensive line. See Todd gurley a couple of years ago. 

I'm sure the ankle isn't helping but he's not limping off the field after plays, he's just running into the back of his offensive line who are getting shoved into the backfield.

To top it off, teams don't respect Jones. Sure Jones has made some plays but he's been scoring TDs for opposing defenses every week by literally handing them the ball. 

Course but Jones threw 4 TDs yesterday.

A guy like Saquan ain't getting 13 carries for 1 yard if he's healthy even if he's playing for the Sisters of the Poor.  He ain't right.  Hopefully he looks better with a week off. 

The main problem he has had is playing on a terrible team.  Even if a RB has a good passing game role, playing for a horrible squad hurts because you don't get the TD opportunities, drives are short, etc.  Unfortunately for Barkley, his team will probably be bad for a few years to come as the organization is run by a bunch of clowns.  Let's look at how poorly they've managed their first pick of each draft lately:

2015: 9th pick - Ereck Flowers; drafted as a tackle, huge bust, had change positions and now plays for the terrible Redskins
2016: 10th pick - Eli Apple; bust, traded for peanuts to Saints
2017: 23rd pick - Evan Engram.  This looks like a big hit.
2018: 2nd pick - Saquon Barkley.  Great player but they had no business using the #2 overall pick on a RB... could have easily traded down several spots and still ended up with him.  Poor franchise management.
2019: 6th pick - Danny Dimes.  Looks like he might be able to play but, again, could have been had much later in the draft. 

The Giants also got cents on the dollar in trading Beckham.

One can only imagine how the Giants will make things worse next season.  

2 minutes ago, KennyWoo said:

One can only imagine how the Giants will make things worse next season.  

They'll probably blow it by drafting Jerry Jeudy with a top 5 pick