Joe Odam

Derrius Guice 2019 Outlook

ah OK thx.

I just think his upside merits a late flyer. The other guys might cut into his time or of course he could get hurt, again, but hey for a buck...

1 hour ago, bomont said:

ah OK thx.

I just think his upside merits a late flyer. The other guys might cut into his time or of course he could get hurt, again, but hey for a buck...

Is this a redraft or keeper? I'm guessing redraft.

Yep! And unfortunately. I've tried pitching dynasty or even limited keepers, but shot down every time.

13 hours ago, bomont said:

Yep! And unfortunately. I've tried pitching dynasty or even limited keepers, but shot down every time.

That stinks. Keeper leagues are a blast. My football keeper league is borderline "dynasty", but no really. We can keep three, but they have their draft rounds attached plus one. So the guy who drafted the rookie Alvin Kamara in the 13th (as a Saints fan, I should be shot for allowing that) kept him as a 12th last year and has him as an 11th this year. Basically, he'll own Kamara for the duration of his career. I know you do auction leagues, and keepers in auction leagues are a ton of fun. Sucks that your leaguemates won't go for it. 

So yeah, you might be able to get Guice for a song this year, but I have a feeling there will be that one guy (there's one in every league) who will overpay in a redraft because he believes in the talent and will be banking on a bigger season than anyone else is expecting. And I believe that will be a mistake this year in redrafts. The more I think about it, the more doubtful I am that Guice makes a serious fantasy impact this year, but I believe he'll be all systems go in 2020 and become a beast for Washington. He'll be a stud 6th rd keeper ;)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

That stinks. Keeper leagues are a blast. My football keeper league is borderline "dynasty", but no really. We can keep three, but they have their draft rounds attached plus one. So the guy who drafted the rookie Alvin Kamara in the 13th (as a Saints fan, I should be shot for allowing that) kept him as a 12th last year and has him as an 11th this year. Basically, he'll own Kamara for the duration of his career. I know you do auction leagues, and keepers in auction leagues are a ton of fun. Sucks that your leaguemates won't go for it. 

So yeah, you might be able to get Guice for a song this year, but I have a feeling there will be that one guy (there's one in every league) who will overpay in a redraft because he believes in the talent and will be banking on a bigger season than anyone else is expecting. And I believe that will be a mistake this year in redrafts. The more I think about it, the more doubtful I am that Guice makes a serious fantasy impact this year, but I believe he'll be all systems go in 2020 and become a beast for Washington. He'll be a stud 6th rd keeper ;)

We do something similar and it's been a lot of fun. We cap keepers in the 8th round and move them up more aggressively to prompt more turnaround. In your example, he'd have Kamara in the 8th for the first keeper year, then the 2nd the next year, then the 1st for the 3rd. 

Back to Guice, AP was the most gameflow dependent running back last year, and the skins aren't supposed to be good this year. If Guice is healthy I can see them playing him a ton in those catchup games, and if he takes off, I doubt they hand the reigns back to AP. Unfortunately his ADP is around 6.00 and it'll probably rise with any positive news so I'd be out in redraft but he is mildly interesting in a keeper/dynasty. Essentially an "echo take" but found myself intrigued while going through his thread. 

3 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

Yeah well. I was in a keeper years ago and our setup was very similar, but you could only keep a guy for a max of a few years.

Though I'd like to try, I'm not sure I would like dynasty tbh. If some of your key guys blow up, you're screwed trying to slowly rebuild for who knows how long. That's why IMO modest keeper leagues (keep only a few at most) are best. You're rewarded for good drafting more and have some continuity from the previous year, but have the fresh start of a new team (mostly) too. 

As for Guice, it's a coin flip, but aren't most guys taken late in a draft? 

Edited by bomont

On 7/9/2019 at 4:24 PM, Flyman75 said:

I really don't know what Guice is going to do this year...if he'll be healthy, if AP will take carries away from him all season, if he's hopeless because the Skins suck. so on and so forth. But I do know that I have him as a 7th rd keeper this year, so I'll be keeping him without a doubt. And I just hope that over the course of this season, he's good enough to man one of my two flex positions...and if not, then he at least gets over this knee injury, gets healthy, gets some carries and experience, and prepares to take the 2020 season by storm as my 6th round keeper. Lol. 

Same for me, only as a 12th rounder this year and an 11th next year.  HYPE!

• Like 1

“Redskins running back Derrius Guice suffered a hamstring injury and is questionable for the start of training camp, according to two sources. #Redskins #LSU #NFL”

4 hours ago, FoosballFan said:

“Redskins running back Derrius Guice suffered a hamstring injury and is questionable for the start of training camp, according to two sources. #Redskins #LSU #NFL”

Word is it occurred over 3 weeks ago. Obviously not great news, but I'd rather he tweak it now vs. late August.

Freak out season is in full effect. Relax people. If he’s not practicing by the preseason then you can start to worry

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Stonej14 said:

Is it me or do the Redskins have the most injuries every year.

The latter.

AP locked and loaded! 

Edited by Savatage79
  • Like 1

Having him on a dynasty roster is like having a case of crabs acquired in Tijuana. No amount of treatment is going to help 

• Haha 2

Shades of Dalvin Cook from last year?  Coming off an ACL injury, then he got this hamstring injury which supposedly wasn't related. Not to mention the veteran Latavius Murray problem.  Ruined his whole first half of the season.

I'm staying away.  I'd rather have Kenyan Drake or Tarik Cohen at his price point.

44 minutes ago, CooL said:

Shades of Dalvin Cook from last year?  Coming off an ACL injury, then he got this hamstring injury which supposedly wasn't related. Not to mention the veteran Latavius Murray problem.  Ruined his whole first half of the season.

I'm staying away.  I'd rather have Kenyan Drake or Tarik Cohen at his price point.

Not even close to same price point in competitive drafts. Tariik already a full round above. Drake two.

I disagree, it is close. Drak is a notch above but Cohen and Guice are both pretty much bottom feeders. 

17 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

Guice is a great example of why I like dynasty/keeper so much more than redraft. 

Same

8 minutes ago, 1972Miamidolphins said:

Why

I’m guessing because he believes in Guice’s talent and this current news presents buy low opportunities.

1 hour ago, Lamont Sanford said:

Guice is a great example of why I like dynasty/keeper so much more than redraft. 

Because you can keep deceiving yourself for a longer period that your pick was really worth it? ;)

21 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

Because you can keep deceiving yourself for a longer period that your pick was really worth it? ;)

I take it you suspect Guice has no future in the NFL?

13 minutes ago, Joe Odam said:

I take it you suspect Guice has no future in the NFL?

Nope, I was talking in general and trolling Lamont a bit ;) 

I have no specific opinion on Guice; I am just aware that some players never manage to translate their talents from College to the pros, for whatever reason: team, coach, injuries, O-line, lack of effort, personal problems, whatever. I am really curious whether Guice will manage to overcome his particular hurdles; so far, I see quite a few of them though.

But I have no agenda, nor do I claim to have perfect vision, except in hindsight (and even then).

Edited by Boudewijn