Joe Odam

Derrius Guice 2019 Outlook

Good news. Unfortunately he may be on the worst offense in the league. Sorry forgot Miami. Second worst.

Just going to add the last part of the quote in for context about AP.

"At the end of the day, it's not so much about Samaje than it is about Derrius Guice, how much faith we have in him to carry the ball," Gruden told reporters. "We drafted him for a reason. We feel like he can be a first, second and even a third down back, if needed. I think the offense, carries wise, will probably go through him, pretty much.

"We feel good about the guys we kept. Obviously, A.P. is still here and can run the ball as good as anybody. We're good at running back."

Edited by Iron-cock

13 minutes ago, LongBalls said:

Good news. Unfortunately he may be on the worst offense in the league. Sorry forgot Miami. Second worst.

No need to rain on the parade with the “unfortunately” part. We already knew the Redskins offense won’t be a juggernaut, but there are plenty of examples of great RBs overcoming poor offenses en route to fantasy success. In fact, Guice may be the very reason the Skins offense turns out to be better than expected. This is fantastic news for Guice owners, plain and simple. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

No need to rain on the parade with the “unfortunately” part. We already knew the Redskins offense won’t be a juggernaut, but there are plenty of examples of great RBs overcoming poor offenses en route to fantasy success. In fact, Guice may be the very reason the Skins offense turns out to be better than expected. This is fantastic news for Guice owners, plain and simple. 

I own him in a couple 12-teamers where he was taken in the 8th or 9th, which is obviously great value. I don't think he'd be drafted much higher even following this news since he is on what projects as a historically bad offense, which will severely limit his TD upside. Still good value, and has to be viewed as a win if he turns into a weekly flex given the draft capital. 

I'm actually looking to sell high on this news, though. There may be people out there who don't realize just how bad this Redksins roster is this year.

Edited by LongBalls

Hopefully the Redskins D is nasty this year.  Guice's only con is going to be gameflow.  If the Redskins drop early by 10-14pts, Guice could be limited by use.  Otherwise he looked like a beast and could feed.  

On 8/23/2019 at 1:52 PM, Ddam2013 said:

11-12 goal line carries, scored but Flowers made sure it didn't count hopefully they find a way to fix that flowers situation or that could be a common problem this year.

I went back to watch Flowers, and then checked out the comments to see if anyone mentioned him.  They're actually going to start him at guard.  He didn't looked absolutely awful like he did at tackle, at least from these few plays.  There were a few classic Erick Flowers (#77 for the Redskins) plays in there though.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000001043628/Every-Derrius-Guice-touch-in-his-debut-Preseason-Week-3

"Help...I'm lost in spaceeeeeee" at 0:24

and 

"I'll just fall down" at 1:14

On the plus side, he didn't look like a fish out of water the whole time like he does at tackle.  He even managed to keep his pad level low a few times.  Maybe he can be somewhat serviceable at guard...or at least it will hide him a bit. 

The right side of the line looks pretty good.  #75 (Scherff) on the play at 0:24....damn that was nice...but props to Grady Jarrett for getting up and making the tackle.

• Like 1

Great news on nfl.com

Derrius Guice was shown as the starter for Week 1 on Washington's depth chart. (Les Carpenter on Twitter)

Checked wahington’s website and shows Guice starter.  

Edited by vspt
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, vspt said:

Great news on nfl.com

Derrius Guice was shown as the starter for Week 1 on Washington's depth chart. (Les Carpenter on Twitter)

Checked wahington’s website and shows Guice starter.  

Guice is the starter. Peterson will get carries. Thompson will also get some work. Guice will be getting the majority of the carries to begin the season.

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports holdout Redskins LT Trent Williams could report as early as Week 2.

The word arrives via Williams' ex-teammate DeAngelo Hall, who also said last week there was "zero chance" Williams would report for the opener. Week 2 is apparently a different story. Rapsheet recently reported that Williams has been medically cleared. The 31-year-old wouldn't need many practice reps to be game ready.

If true, this would be a big boost for the Redskins’ offense.

• Like 3

IF Trent comes back.......watch out. Cannot be underestimated how important he is to that offense as a whole

Problem here is the Redskins's OL... Can Guice have a very good season with this OL ?

Interesting link posted on the AP thread - https://www.nj.com/eagles/2019/09/nfl-rumors-redskins-adrian-peterson-on-thin-ice-with-jay-gruden.html

If true, it certainly looks like Guice is the guy.  As expected, AP was not happy at all with this news and let Gruden know about it.  Big sign that Guice will be the lead back and AP is not going to have much of a role.  Makes total sense...they're not contenders this year, they should let the youngsters learn on the field.

They should cut AP and let him go somewhere RB-needy.  Texans, TB, etc.  Heck even the Chargers.  Give him a chance to play.  Based on his preseason play, he still has some gas left.  He looked pretty good.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Tomy said:

Problem here is the Redskins's OL... Can Guice have a very good season with this OL ?

It was a good OL a couple years ago before injuries devastated it. If Trent Williams returns it will be in an even better position.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, alexander1231 said:

Value depending where you got him.

Derrius Guice will have the offense run through him as Jay Gruden said. His ability to help as a three down back is key.

There is no doubt this guy is a beast. He runs HARD. He reminds be a bit of Freeman's hard running style. Can produce big numbers but also the potential is there for injury. Risk and Reward.  Just stay healthy big guy. If Guice is healthy he should put up some good numbers.

• Like 2

Another thread where the in depth stats on a veteran player tell the truth, and the more informed and wiser posters here were right, again.

AP was absolutely HORRIBLE in the second half of the season last year. Like as bad as Hyde and McCoy. AP was never going to be a threat to Guice’s touches

Edited by elroypedro
  • Like 1

On 9/2/2019 at 4:33 PM, whadeeb said:

got him last night in the 8th round in 12 team league..chooo chooo

Dizzam, he went 5.4 in my leagues draft on Tuesday (10 teams). Was hoping to land him in the 6th. Really wanted him on my team, I think he has a solid year. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Psideresider said:

Dizzam, he went 5.4 in my leagues draft on Tuesday (10 teams). Was hoping to land him in the 6th. Really wanted him on my team, I think he has a solid year. 

He went 10th in mine. That was a month ago. I believe he'll at least get 13-15 carries a game. They won't overwork him considering they still have AD and Thompson. He should get the bulk of the work though. Guice has receiving skills so not sure how exactly they will utilize Thompson.