Joe Odam

Derrius Guice 2019 Outlook

In my 10 team .5 PPR league with 7 bench spots I'm willing to let him sit at the end of the bench for a few weeks. Starting RBs are impossible to find and the Redskins are going nowhere fast, at some point this season they'll turn to the young guys (Guice, Haskins, the rookie WR who went off) and see what they have in them. 

1 hour ago, WeezerNY said:

Why won't Yahoo let me IR this guy, he's clearly out for awhile. 

im waiting as well, i wan't to grab next week's d

Redskins coach Jay Gruden said "there is no update" on Derrius Guice (knee).

Guice is fully expected to miss a "few weeks" while dealing with a meniscus injury and "getting checked out." Gruden also went on to name Adrian Peterson the starter only a few short days after ironically making the claim he'd activate the veteran only if Washington has "a game where we think we can run the ball 55 times in a game in I-Formation." Chris Thompson (7/68 receiving Week 1) still holds more fantasy value than the future first-ballot Hall of Famer.

2 hours ago, WeezerNY said:

Why won't Yahoo let me IR this guy, he's clearly out for awhile. 

It's not Yahoo...it's the Redskins. Yahoo can't list him as "out" just because it looks like he'll be out for a while. They have to wait until the Redskins change his designation from "doubtful" to "out". 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flyman75 said:

It's not Yahoo...it's the Redskins. Yahoo can't list him as "out" just because it looks like he'll be out for a while. They have to wait until the Redskins change his designation from "doubtful" to "out". 

Well hopefully by Saturday's official injury report they list him as out. 

Not sure if anyone has seen this.

ESPN's Adam Schefter has reported that RB Derrius Guice is expected to be sidelined six-to-eight weeks in the likely event that he undergoes surgery to repair his torn meniscus.

5 minutes ago, iretirefromfantasy said:

Not sure if anyone has seen this.

ESPN's Adam Schefter has reported that RB Derrius Guice is expected to be sidelined six-to-eight weeks in the likely event that he undergoes surgery to repair his torn meniscus.

Yep, and he's visiting Dr. Andrew's for a "second opinion". We all know how this ends. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Most of these 2nd opinion reports are hollow words. Ridiculous clichés. If Guice has indeed a torn meniscus, he has to go under the knife. Even if it's just a slight tear and the pain isn't that bad, a young RB's meniscus must be fixed immediately to prevent total damage in the near future. Especially when he's running on a replacement ACL already.

For the kids sake I hope he gets good news from Dr Andrews.  You hate o see someone's career get derailed like this before it even starts.  From a fantasy perspective I'm not sure what to do.  If it's 6 to 8 weeks he's a tough hold.  It's not like this is a good offense.  Matter of fact its a poor one for a RB like Guice.  The time frame means somewhere inside of week 8 to 10.  Then there's the question of his workload as he's likely to be eased back in.  I'm likely to drop him in redraft if someone worth rostering comes along.  Maybe you can flip him to the AP owner, but not likely.  The one point that makes me consider keeping him is the potential for a lead back for the stretch run and playoffs.  We all know football is physical sport where guys constantly get hurt so having that RB in your back pocket for later in the season could really matter.  I'm just not sure if Guice will be a real fantasy factor this year.

i can't hold this guy anymore. Lets revisit that video where he laughs off the notion that he is injury prone. Also,isn't Bryce Love due back after 6 weeks?  Easy drop

• Haha 1

Mid-round-flier -> league-winner -> drop

All in the course of what? 1.5 weeks?  Yeesh.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kevinwayne20 said:

ughhhh, put him on the IR Washington.

Does he only go on the Yahoo IR if he goes on the real IR?

I know in fantasy basketball Yahoo will designate someone as IR just for being out several games. 

3 hours ago, frog34 said:

Most of these 2nd opinion reports are hollow words. Ridiculous clichés. If Guice has indeed a torn meniscus, he has to go under the knife. Even if it's just a slight tear and the pain isn't that bad, a young RB's meniscus must be fixed immediately to prevent total damage in the near future. Especially when he's running on a replacement ACL already.

He doesn't "have" to go under the knife but it probably is a good idea. And the second opinion is likely to determine if its a scope/clean-up or if a repair can actually happen. Depending where it is torn it can't always be repaired.

Also, I do believe this is to his other knee and what ever route he chooses he will be back this year. But if he does do a repair I would expect it to be of the 8 week timeline as they heal slowly.

3 hours ago, Proteus said:

Is there a support group for dynasty owners?

Come on over to the Tyreek thread... we'll help you work through your grief.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So the latest (which I don't trust yet) says it was a "trim" which would be a 3-4 week recovery if all goes well or up to 6 weeks if its slower to heal.  If this trim is the case then it wasn't a full repair which would be upwards of 8 weeks or more.  My guess is a repair probably wasn't an option.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mbell317 said:

Does he only go on the Yahoo IR if he goes on the real IR?

I know in fantasy basketball Yahoo will designate someone as IR just for being out several games. 

No you can put him on IR now, I just did. For Yahoo fantasy these 3 designations make them eligible for IR  (Out , IR , PUP ) 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, RunCMC said:

No you can put him on IR now, I just did. For Yahoo fantasy these 3 designations make them eligible for IR  (Out , IR , PUP ) 

Oh wow thanks. I thought you couldn't move them to IR until it said "INJ" or whatever next to their name. Thanks!

Will keep Guice stashed on IR and hopefully use him late in the season...

out indefinitely per last roto blurb

Guice is recovering in Pensacola following Thursday's surgery performed by team doctor James Andrews. NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reported Guice will be out "indefinitely" while also noting that Washington will "consider its options" in regards to a roster move, suggesting the sophomore back could be headed to injured reserve. Without him, the Redskins will turn to veteran Adrian Peterson on early downs with Chris Thompson filling in the gaps on passing downs.

Edited by pfresh