Joe Odam

Derrius Guice 2019 Outlook

If he gets his job pick, this is potentially the perfect storm to help teams win the playoffs.

41 minutes ago, TTo34 said:

If he gets his job pick, this is potentially the perfect storm to help teams win the playoffs.

I dunno about "perfect storm."

It looks like Trent ain't coming back.  We're still talking about a team with a lot of offensive deficiencies, and an old guy with the gig who hasn't looked terrible.  And they're playing Philly in week 15, a team with the offensive ability to blow them out of the gym and a good run defense.

That said, hell, kid's talented.  Sometimes that's enough.

31 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

I dunno about "perfect storm."

It looks like Trent ain't coming back.  We're still talking about a team with a lot of offensive deficiencies, and an old guy with the gig who hasn't looked terrible.  And they're playing Philly in week 15, a team with the offensive ability to blow them out of the gym and a good run defense.

That said, hell, kid's talented.  Sometimes that's enough.

Trent did come back.

Source

7 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

You’re talking like the only place teams assess their pieces is during actual games. I believe that at this very moment, the front office knows if it’s planning to draft a RB or not and about how early they want to grab one. Guice is going to get his touches, but I simply disagree with your belief that Callahan isn’t going to get AP his 400 more yards this year. What else do they have to play for? You think the only way they can assess Guice is if he gets 20-25 touches or something? They’re more likely to see how Guice handles 12-15 touches and treat their perceived RB of the future with kid gloves in the season in which he’s coming off multiple ACL surgeries and a hammy injury...leaving plenty of touches for Peterson to reach his milestone. 

Anyway...jmho. I could be wrong. Wouldn’t be the first time. Lol. Frankly, I hope they kick AP to the curb and make Guice THE back. Lol. 

Edited by Tomei7

9 minutes ago, jumboJET85 said:

Time to pick him up before the rush 

Why?  This offense doesn't leave much to be excited about, and if Haskins can't make things respectable teams will focus on stopping the run even more.  And I doubt Callahan is going to do AP like Gruden and flat out make him inactive; maybe he relegates him to spell duties.  Trent Williams isn't coming back to shore up the line, there will probably be few TD opportunities.

I don't see what there is to be excited about personally.

AP is still useful for fantasy purposes, but he has an expression date......

1 hour ago, CharlesCC2 said:

Why?  This offense doesn't leave much to be excited about, and if Haskins can't make things respectable teams will focus on stopping the run even more.  And I doubt Callahan is going to do AP like Gruden and flat out make him inactive; maybe he relegates him to spell duties.  Trent Williams isn't coming back to shore up the line, there will probably be few TD opportunities.

He’s a free pickup zero risk involved. If he is stuck behind AP he can easily be dropped again. Give me a better example of a waiver wire RB with as much potential. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, urban2014 said:

AP is still useful for fantasy purposes, but he has an expression date......

? You mean an expiration date?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, CharlesCC2 said:

Not Callahan's call.

Washington's front office will want to know what they have - if anything - in Guice as they begin to prepare their offseason strategy. They're not going to let an aged RB already set for the HoF and more than likely will retire a Viking hog-up invaluable playtime at the expense of a player they'll want to assess while there are still games left from which to assess.

Edited by BurgundyBooger

53 minutes ago, jumboJET85 said:

He’s a free pickup zero risk involved. If he is stuck behind AP he can easily be dropped again. Give me a better example of a waiver wire RB with as much potential. 

Didn't say there was a waiver RB with better potential, just said there is little to be excited about.  Even less so if Haskins stays at the helm.  I guess it depends on what your bench situation is like, if you have junk or low upside flyers.  

38 minutes ago, BurgundyBooger said:

Not Callahan's call.

Washington's front office will want to know what they have - if anything - in Guice as they begin to prepare their offseason strategy. They're not going to let an aged RB already set for the HoF and more than likely will retire a Viking hog-up invaluable playtime at the expense of a player they'll want to assess while there are still games left from which to assess.

Let's hope you're right.  This does make sense, but not everything regarding Washington's decisions always do.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, joebaker23 said:

After AP's performance today, I am a little nervous about Guice's usage when he returns.

Or he will get that usage so they can see him for an extended period?

17 minutes ago, RingMyBell said:

Or he will get that usage so they can see him for an extended period?

I doubt that. Understand your point, but as fragile as he's been I would imagine they want to ease him in there, and with the way AP is running you can't really argue against it from a real life perspective. 

• Like 1

SHOULD they give Guice run to see what they have?  Yup.  WILL they?  Who the heck knows.  Probably not.

I just don't see the team kicking AP to the sideline with the way he's run since Callahan took over.  He's average close to 5 YPC I think under the new coach.  With Guice's injury history and AP running real well I'd say we are going to see split duties should Guice even be healthy enough to play.

8 hours ago, dicka24 said:

I just don't see the team kicking AP to the sideline with the way he's run since Callahan took over.  He's average close to 5 YPC I think under the new coach.  With Guice's injury history and AP running real well I'd say we are going to see split duties should Guice even be healthy enough to play.

Yep... wouldn’t be surprised if Guice has one game with like 12 carries for 70 yards and a TD and then gets hyped up as the “new starter” and then flops the next game while AP dominates.

Guice might be one of those players who never gets his chance. After missing his first two seasons to injury, they’ll probably just draft another running back next year.

They can evaluate him in practice all they want, but the front office has to be concerned that Guice just can’t physically handle even a partial NFL workload. If they’ve already moved on emotionally there’s no reason to give him reps over AD.

If the 'Skins were smart (they're not) they'll start Guice right away to see what they've got. The season is lost, AP gets them nothing and they owe him nothing since he won't even mention Washington in his speech at Canton.

• Like 1

Reasons why Guice should get the majority of workload once he’s back (will prob get worked back slowly first game)

1. The season is lost, if Guice comes back and suck they get a higher pick. If Guice comes back and does really well, then they have their future RB.

2. AP most likely won’t be back, why bother keeping him as the lead back?

3. Guice is the guy they drafted, they want to see what they got in him, even with a couple of weeks left in the season should still be a good enough sample size to see if he is legit or they move on next season and draft someone else.

9 hours ago, FANattic86 said:

Reasons why Guice should get the majority of workload once he’s back (will prob get worked back slowly first game)

1. The season is lost, if Guice comes back and suck they get a higher pick. If Guice comes back and does really well, then they have their future RB.

2. AP most likely won’t be back, why bother keeping him as the lead back?

3. Guice is the guy they drafted, they want to see what they got in him, even with a couple of weeks left in the season should still be a good enough sample size to see if he is legit or they move on next season and draft someone else.

I agree with #3 for sure. They have to see what they have with Guice.  Even if he comes back well this year and plays lights out I bet they still draft a RB early next year. This is two years now he's missed time.  Having said that I have Guice in a long term keeper and hope they he can have a good career in the NFL. He's still young but I would by lying if I said I wasn't worried...  

Cook had knee issues and then hamstring issues and missed a ton of time his first 2 years.  This year he has been lights out.  Sometimes you just have to be patient and I'm hoping being patient with Guice pays off as it did with Cook.  Guice has the skills and I believe in his talent. He just needs to stay on the field.

League Miss-the-playoffs-but-at-least-I-tried-everything-er

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Big Nate said:

I agree with #3 for sure. They have to see what they have with Guice.  Even if he comes back well this year and plays lights out I bet they still draft a RB early next year. This is two years now he's missed time.  Having said that I have Guice in a long term keeper and hope they he can have a good career in the NFL. He's still young but I would by lying if I said I wasn't worried...  

Cook had knee issues and then hamstring issues and missed a ton of time his first 2 years.  This year he has been lights out.  Sometimes you just have to be patient and I'm hoping being patient with Guice pays off as it did with Cook.  Guice has the skills and I believe in his talent. He just needs to stay on the field.

I think they will evaluate him in the closing games and that will determine how aggressive they are at getting a RB. I have no doubt they will get one, because they need the depth. But if he looks good they may wait until later in the draft instead of getting one early. They need to address the O-line for sure as a top priority. They have their QB of the future "maybe". They have a gem in McLaurin. They just need to figure out their O-line and RB situation.