Rotoworld.com Forums

Derrius Guice 2019 Outlook

17 minutes ago, Joe Odam said:

And you kill us with your complete inability to see the obvious. It’s April. By August he’ll be healed, hungry, rested and likely a 3rd rounder in most drafts worth their salt. He’s THAT talented. 

Of course he will be rested because he never played a single game. . .😂

Inability to see the obvious?

The obvious that he is returning from injury?

The obvious that he is doing rehab?

The obvious that he hasnt played or started in a single NFL regular season game?

The obvious that we don't know when he will be the primary?

The obvious that we don't know the touch distribution between Guice+AP+Thompson?

The obvious that the Redksins don't have any pass catchers whch means no credible passing game?

The obvious that the Redskins have a shaky QB situation which means no credible passing game?

The obvious that the Redskins will be competing with the NYG  to finish last in their division?

Yeah none of that tells me that it is obvious that Guice is a 3rd  round value lock.

None of it 🤓

• Replies 961
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rotoworld on Sunday:  the Redskins aren't likely to make Guice a workhorse in 2019 given his injury history. Guice is a bench stash and low-end flex play for those in trouble. Rotoworl

Try watching it again once you sober up a bit.

Competitive leagues don't have IR spots I think Callahan dramatically lowers his value. If it was still Gruden I'd be on the train. But Callahan is an old school coach that will likely stick wit

Posted Images

10 hours ago, dashoe said:

Of course he will be rested because he never played a single game. . .😂

Inability to see the obvious?

The obvious that he is returning from injury?

The obvious that he is doing rehab?

The obvious that he hasnt played or started in a single NFL regular season game?

The obvious that we don't know when he will be the primary?

The obvious that we don't know the touch distribution between Guice+AP+Thompson?

The obvious that the Redksins don't have any pass catchers whch means no credible passing game?

The obvious that the Redskins have a shaky QB situation which means no credible passing game?

The obvious that the Redskins will be competing with the NYG  to finish last in their division?

Yeah none of that tells me that it is obvious that Guice is a 3rd  round value lock.

None of it 🤓

Fair points. But if for the sake of discussion we were to assume full health (which is appears likely) and workhorse role (which given his talent level would likely be the case is fully healthy) then the only points left in your argument would be the last three. And those same three “negatives” could be said of Saquon Barkley. 

I’m NOT saying Guice is as good as Barkley.  The point is that those last three “negatives” can be overcome by an elite talent, and many believe Guice is an elite talent. Therefore, if Guice is fully healthy and the offense leans on him, there’s no reason he can’t have a tremendouse season even on a bad team.

So if Guice appears to be 100% by the season opener, his “bad situation” should be of little concern. 

1 minute ago, Lamont Sanford said:

Fair points. But if for the sake of discussion we were to assume full health (which is appears likely) and workhorse role (which given his talent level would likely be the case is fully healthy) then the only points left in your argument would be the last three. And those same three “negatives” could be said of Saquon Barkley. 

I’m NOT saying Guice is as good as Barkley.  The point is that those last three “negatives” can be overcome by an elite talent, and many believe Guice is an elite talent. Therefore, if Guice is fully healthy and the offense leans on him, there’s no reason he can’t have a tremendouse season even on a bad team.

So if Guice appears to be 100% by the season opener, his “bad situation” should be of little concern. 

only difference was barkley didnt have an AP and thompson in the backfield with him to tempt coaches into being too clever take awy valuable touches; both are proven producers when they get touches regardless if people think of them as rb insurance. 

No one even knows the name of Barleys backup. . .😂

And as i said before its not the talent, it's WHEN will the talent be reliable; he could easily be like  Dalvin and look ready week 1 and not be reliable until week 11. 

5 hours ago, Mr2Saint said:

The cream always rises to the top.

If Guice's talent is for real, it won't be long before we know it.

Us derrick henry fanboys have said this for a long time. The cream may take a couple years to rise to the top. I hope your right and guice can do it better than henry.

9 minutes ago, sasnumberonefan said:

They just drafted Bryce Love. Not sure what to make of that.

Love is a third down back at the NFL level with worse injury concerns and outcome from ACL than Guice himself. He is a total flier on their part. Would love to see him work out and be able to take some workload from Guice like a Yeldon did for Fournette in Jax

5 minutes ago, elroypedro said:

Love is a third down back at the NFL level with worse injury concerns and outcome from ACL than Guice himself. He is a total flier on their part. Would love to see him work out and be able to take some workload from Guice like a Yeldon did for Fournette in Jax

Love only caught 49 passes in college. Doesn't have a ton of receiving experience. Bryce is a pretty good runner, limited by injury.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Derrius Guice (knee) is "coming along a little slower" then the Redskins expected.”

Awesome! Love this as a dynasty owner. Love it. Least his Instagram and fashion game is on point. WTF!? Maybe he really doesn’t gaf the way the Guice passers last year suspected 

25 minutes ago, devaster said:

Love only caught 49 passes in college. Doesn't have a ton of receiving experience. Bryce is a pretty good runner, limited by injury.

I’ve seen him play a dozen times in person. Hes no CMC, but he’s a good pass catcher, was just criminally underused as one. CMC has 99 catches at Stanford and he is the best pass catching back probably in NFL history already or on pace to be. Love had 49. Hes not bad at all

15 minutes ago, elroypedro said:

I’ve seen him play a dozen times in person. Hes no CMC, but he’s a good pass catcher, was just criminally underused as one. CMC has 99 catches at Stanford and he is the best pass catching back probably in NFL history already or on pace to be. Love had 49. Hes not bad at all

Love had 49 in 4 seasons (about 1-2 per game). Underutilized? Maybe, but he doesn't immediately project as a 3rd down back in the NFL at all. He projects as a grinder.

33 minutes ago, Proteus said:

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Derrius Guice (knee) is "coming along a little slower" then the Redskins expected.” 

Is this an actual recent report from Skins staff or just Schefter’s general take on the situation? It’s common knowledge that Guice’s recovery was set back a bit due to post surgery infection, but everything I’ve read lately has been very positive with regard to Guice’s recovery and availability for 2019.

Bryce Love Scouting Report

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/bryce-love?id=32194c4f-5604-4766-ac8b-19be320b56b7

Sounds like more of a complimentary piece as opposed to any kind of threat to Guice as the lead back.

Comp- Dion Lewis

Strengths
  • Character considered an A+ by scouts
  • Highly intelligent and quick to process new information
  • Willing to play through pain
  • Keeps feet moving through his reads
  • Quick, controlled steps provide balance and on-demand acceleration
  • Wins foot races around the corner against linebackers
  • Burst and top-end speed to turn 16 yards into 60
  • Runs feet through contact as interior runner
  • Able to get skinny and squeeze through tight creases
  • Slides and pivots around big bodies littering his path
  • Rare ability to stay square in his lateral movements away from tacklers
  • Better pass-catching option than numbers would indicate
Weaknesses
  • Tweener size might hinder both rush volume and draft value
  • Excessive stutter-and-gather in his downhill approach
  • Running style is more frantic than fluid
  • Will need to run with better trust and anticipation as a pro
  • Somewhat average in setting up defenders before his cuts
  • Field vision and recognition of backside opportunities is average
  • Lacks size to prolong NFL runs after contact
  • Could struggle to hold his ground in blitz protection
  • Looks less confident in gap-scheme than zone

Edited by Lamont Sanford
2 minutes ago, devaster said:

Love had 49 in 4 seasons (about 1-2 per game). Underutilized? Maybe, but he doesn't immediately project as a 3rd down back in the NFL at all. He projects as a grinder.

A grinder? No not at all. He can’t take big volume.

His biggest skill is as a pure runner, he is a better than average pass catcher, below average pass blocker, and is injury prone and has to have his volume kept low. 

Again comparing to CMC. In two years as the starter, CMC had 590 carries and 82 receptions. A true workhorse.

In two years as the starter, Love had only 429 carries and 26 receptions.

And the reason Love got as many targets out of the backfield in his first two years as a backup as he did as his two years as a starter isn’t because of his ability, it was a combination of coaching/play calling, scheme, injury, and the breakout of JJAW as the target hog in a low passing volume offense.

1 hour ago, Boudewijn said:

Must... not... Yeah sorry, it's too strong. The media *are* lame. (and so am I)

On the other hand, coach speak. Who to trust?

I'd trust Schefter over any coach in the NFL. Coaches are always optimistic on recovery timetables anyway and almost never truthful.

3 minutes ago, devaster said:

I'd trust Schefter over any coach in the NFL. Coaches are always optimistic on recovery timetables anyway and almost never truthful.

Total agree on the second part. But regarding injury estimates there is only one person I trust, because of his track record:

On 4/27/2019 at 12:28 PM, elroypedro said:

CMC is the best pass catching back probably in NFL history already or on pace to be. 

Rookie yrs

CMac: 80 rec, 70% catch rate.

Barkley: 91 rec, 75% catch rate.

Kamara: 82 rec, 80% catch rate 

Edited by psygolf