munde53

Nick Chubb 2019 Outlook

8 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

His ADP is around the 13-17 range. That's absolutely absurd when you consider they have a guy that led the league in rushing just two years ago and was on pace for well over 1,000 yards again last season. In fact, you can actually even argue that Hunt is a better player than Chubb. I wouldn't take Chubb before the 3rd-4th round.

According to the faithful 23yr old injury free, all pro,  rushing leader Hunt with fresh legs will maybe get a couple of touches a game along with Duke. . . 🤣

I personally don't see how an NFL coach won't figure out how to maximize all of their available weapons, particularly one with Hunt's resume and talent

5 minutes ago, dashoe said:

According to the faithful 23yr old injury free, all pro,  rushing leader Hunt with fresh legs will maybe get a couple of touches a game along with Duke. . . 🤣

I personally don't see how an NFL coach won't figure out how to maximize all of their available weapons, particularly one with Hunt's resume and talent

As a presumptive member of the faith, I definitely don’t think Hunt will be marginalized.  I think both can thrive in this offensive environment, in fact.  I won’t speak on behalf of my fellow converts, though.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, dashoe said:

yeah I think this is a point fantasy players tend to forget when they fall in love with their studs. REAL WORLD NFL. You have a young all pro rb in your backfield and he is healthy an NFL coach will find a way to use him. it's not  about usurping a  starter or a guy doing a great job it's using the talent to help win games.  and if Chubb is heavily used for 8-10 games it would be negligent for a HC to not figure out how to conserve him down the stretch with Hunt ready to go particularly if they are in a playoff hunt.  How many times do we see Hoodie mix and match his backfield over the course of a season and playoffs regardless of how studly any of the rb's are week to week? 🤔

i guarantee you mcvay wish he had CJA 3 weeks earlier than he did.  A Gurley injury killed that teams offensive capabilities down the stretch

If they had gotten CJA three weeks earlier they still would have lost in the SB the same way.  The team made it "down the stretch" to the big game, they just couldn't win without Gurley.  Having CJA for 3 more weeks wouldn't have changed that and made Gurley 100% vs. TB12 and Hoodie.  

Just now, jumper said:

If they had gotten CJA three weeks earlier they still would have lost in the SB the same way.  The team made it "down the stretch" to the big game, they just couldn't win without Gurley.  Having CJA for 3 more weeks wouldn't have changed that and made Gurley 100% vs. TB12 and Hoodie.  

Possible, we are after all speculating on outcomes after the fact, so there is nothing to actually debate. 👁️

• Like 1

Watching replays Chubb looks like a slightly lesser David Johnson (cuts, break out speed, vision, power, some catching ability). He'll end up being in a more competent offense that provides plenty of redzone opportunities. Easily a 10+/1500+ overall yardage candidate. Use the Kareem news as an advantage...Chubbs points will be frontloaded for the first half of the season and you should be able to swap him up for other players that help round out your team for the championship run over the latter half. 

Kitchens says Duke Johnson will have a role this year, plus Kareem Hunt when he comes back. He talked about possibly running a wishbone. Looks like a 3 headed RBBC incoming unless they deal Duke.

On 3/26/2019 at 7:06 PM, BMcP said:

I’m afraid to quote this tome, but thank you for these reports.  As I’ve mentioned previously, I think you’ll see quite a bit of Hunt, Chubb - and even Duke - on the field simultaneously in this offense.  And given Monken’s principle of wanting to maximize the number of times his playmakers touch the ball, all will be involved - including the team’s proven best playmaker at tailback - indeed the team’s only proven playmaker thus far.  Draft Chubb confidently as a RB1 and reap the reward of whatever discount you may get from the Hunt news.

Weird, it’s like I just said this - but you all didn’t believe me...

”As for Johnson's role being reduced one Hunt returns, Kitchens said, "I told you guys (last season) that we were doing the wishbone. You all didn't believe me. Then you come back two weeks later wanting to ask questions about 'what are you going to do that week?' Hell, you didn't believe me. Why would I tell you then?''

So he'd play all three backs at once? 

"Yes,'' he said. 

Reminded that the Browns traded Carlos Hyde to get Nick Chubb on the field, he said, "Carlos and Nick are closer comparisons to the type than the other three are.''

https://expo.cleveland.com/sports/g66l-2019/03/42d94b331761/freddie-kitchens-says-duke-johnson-has-a-role-on-our-football-team-and-other-things-from-the-nfl-meetings.html

Edited by BMcP

6 hours ago, BMcP said:

Weird, it’s like I just said this - but you all didn’t believe me...

”As for Johnson's role being reduced one Hunt returns, Kitchens said, "I told you guys (last season) that we were doing the wishbone. You all didn't believe me. Then you come back two weeks later wanting to ask questions about 'what are you going to do that week?' Hell, you didn't believe me. Why would I tell you then?''

So he'd play all three backs at once? 

"Yes,'' he said. 

Reminded that the Browns traded Carlos Hyde to get Nick Chubb on the field, he said, "Carlos and Nick are closer comparisons to the type than the other three are.''

https://expo.cleveland.com/sports/g66l-2019/03/42d94b331761/freddie-kitchens-says-duke-johnson-has-a-role-on-our-football-team-and-other-things-from-the-nfl-meetings.html

Crazy right! i have been saying the same thing too!  😝

Predicting Chubbs production based on last seasons offensive scheme makes no sense. It's not about his talent it's all about his situation and right now this is an unpredictable situation.

What's changed since last season?

1. Kitchens is a 1st time HC with no full OC experience and he will call the plays

2. Monken is the experienced OC with Air raid background and he will not call plays

3.  Transition from haley scheme to unknown scheme no one has seen yet

4. Baker is feeling dangerous everyday

5. OBJ is the wr1 which means everyone on the offense is now a legitimate  threat to touch the ball

6. Hunt with fresh legs after 8 games

7. Duke is still on the roster

8. Landry will probably play full time in the slot now instead of that miserable experiment of having him run every route

1 hour ago, dashoe said:

Crazy right! i have been saying the same thing too!  😝

Predicting Chubbs production based on last seasons offensive scheme makes no sense. It's not about his talent it's all about his situation and right now this is an unpredictable situation.

What's changed since last season?

1. Kitchens is a 1st time HC with no full OC experience and he will call the plays

2. Monken is the experienced OC with Air raid background and he will not call plays

3.  Transition from haley scheme to unknown scheme no one has seen yet

4. Baker is feeling dangerous everyday

5. OBJ is the wr1 which means everyone on the offense is now a legitimate  threat to touch the ball

6. Hunt with fresh legs after 8 games

7. Duke is still on the roster

8. Landry will probably play full time in the slot now instead of that miserable experiment of having him run every route

Eh...as to #3, it’s not as if this new scheme is going to be a complete mystery.  Kitchens has already committed to continuing to use the same Haley playbook he used last year, so it’s not going to be a brand new system.  He will call plays differently, but the plays themselves (and attendant terminology) will be inherited from Haley same as last year.

5 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Eh...as to #3, it’s not as if this new scheme is going to be a complete mystery.  Kitchens has already committed to continuing to use the same Haley playbook he used last year, so it’s not going to be a brand new system.  He will call plays differently, but the plays themselves (and attendant terminology) will be inherited from Haley same as last year.

So you figured out it is going to be the same Haley playbook? ⁉️

I read that it's an ongoing process with some of last year with haley.s scheme, some schemes from kitchens previous jobs, new input from the new OC as well as the other asst Campen.

My guess is they will take what worked last season and incorporate what they think will work going forward making modifications as needed through the bye week. Now what that turns into is anybody's guess. Basically we don't know until we know.

-- So this season, the Browns offense will be a blend of ideas from Kitchens, new offensive line coach James Campen -- who came from Green Bay and will have input in the running game – and Monken, whose Air-Raid based system was similar to what Mayfield executed to perfection at the University of Oklahoma.

Per Monken:

Monken makes the point that the team will work through what schemes they want to run for the 2019 Browns. Right now, they have a mix of system/terminology from Kitchens’ past, Monken’s past, the system that Todd Haley had for the Browns last year, and then what James Campen brings over from Green Bay in the running game.

Asked whether the Browns will incorporate a lot of RPO (run-pass option) into their offense this year, Kitchens said, “I think ‘a lot’ is probably an extreme, but I think that is where football has been and that has been my background. Hopefully, it is something that interests Freddie.”

8 minutes ago, dashoe said:

So you figured out it is going to be the same Haley playbook? ⁉️

Yes.

Kitchens stuck with Todd Haley’s playbook after he was fired midway through the season and said he will continue to do that, meaning the players won’t have to learn all new terminology.

"Of course things are going to stay the same,'' he said. "The way we call them may be different because this is not what I would have done if I had come here and it was a new system to begin with.''

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/01/freddie-kitchens-will-continue-to-call-his-own-plays-despite-hiring-todd-monken-as-browns-oc.html%3foutputType=amp

37 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Yes.

Kitchens stuck with Todd Haley’s playbook after he was fired midway through the season and said he will continue to do that, meaning the players won’t have to learn all new terminology.

"Of course things are going to stay the same,'' he said. "The way we call them may be different because this is not what I would have done if I had come here and it was a new system to begin with.''

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/01/freddie-kitchens-will-continue-to-call-his-own-plays-despite-hiring-todd-monken-as-browns-oc.html%3foutputType=amp

Sell u that view all day, since that was stated in Jan before Monken  had his name on the office door.

Also if you didnt know Monken was offered the job without having an interview with the Browns or meeting Kitchens. Dorsey literally called him up with an offer.

So since that statement from kitchens there have been interviews that stated it will all be a blend of their schemes with kitchens ultimately deciding what plays to call.

Watch the Bengals bring Todd Haley onboard as a 'special assistant'

• Like 1

On 3/28/2019 at 11:53 AM, dashoe said:

Sell u that view all day, since that was stated in Jan before Monken  had his name on the office door.

Also if you didnt know Monken was offered the job without having an interview with the Browns or meeting Kitchens. Dorsey literally called him up with an offer.

So since that statement from kitchens there have been interviews that stated it will all be a blend of their schemes with kitchens ultimately deciding what plays to call.

I’m sorry if I’m not understanding but...is it your view that what Kitchens stated publicly about the playbook/scheme is no longer accurate?  It seemed to me like you were unaware that he was preserving the Haley playbook.

Edited by BMcP

50 minutes ago, BMcP said:

I’m sorry if I’m not understanding but...is it your view that what Kitchens stated publicly about the playbook/scheme is no longer accurate?  It seemed to me like you were unaware that he was preserving the Haley playbook.

I guess I should also add to this that Kitchens made this statement after hiring Todd Monken, in case that wasn’t clear initially.

4 hours ago, BMcP said:

Correct I am sating that statement is ancient history. Kitchens made that statement shortly after Monkens hiring was announced and my point to you was he had not even met or interviewed Monken; they didnt have a discussion about the offense when that statement was made because Dorsey called Monken and offered him the job with no interview or visit to Cleveland.  Monken gave an interview roughly a month after kitchens comment when he was physically in cleveleand and he mentioned when asked about his role that the new offense was probably going to be a blend of the different systems with kitchens making the calls.

Also since the statement you quoted the browns added kareem hunt and OBJ.

Situations are fluid and dynamic with the Browns during the Dorsey era so everything said has to be viewed as a possibility but not an absolute.

I doubt 3 new coaches are just going to run Haley's offense. I will take the lead from Monken and go with it will be a blend of haley, kitchens, monken and campen based on the talent they have to work with. 

Saying that they will run haleys offense is saying Andy Reid is running Bill Walsh's West Coast offense, it may have some of the basic structure/principles but modifications, new paint and aftermarket add ons look nothing like the original. 

As I mentioned several posts above i dont focus on what NFL coaches state publicly, I see what they do on game day. 

25 minutes ago, dashoe said:

Correct I am sating that statement is ancient history. Kitchens made that statement shortly after Monkens hiring was announced and my point to you was he had not even met or interviewed Monken; they didnt have a discussion about the offense when that statement was made because Dorsey called Monken and offered him the job with no interview or visit to Cleveland.  Monken gave an interview roughly a month after kitchens comment when he was physically in cleveleand and he mentioned when asked about his role that the new offense was probably going to be a blend of the different systems with kitchens making the calls.

Also since the statement you quoted the browns added kareem hunt and OBJ.

Situations are fluid and dynamic with the Browns during the Dorsey era so everything said has to be viewed as a possibility but not an absolute.

I doubt 3 new coaches are just going to run Haley's offense. I will take the lead from Monken and go with it will be a blend of haley, kitchens, monken and campen based on the talent they have to work with. 

Saying that they will run haleys offense is saying Andy Reid is running Bill Walsh's West Coast offense, it may have some of the basic structure/principles but modifications, new paint and aftermarket add ons look nothing like the original. 

As I mentioned several posts above i dont focus on what NFL coaches state publicly, I see what they do on game day. 

You have a source on that claim that Kitchens and Monken hadn’t had a single conversation about the offense at that point?  Because I will need one in order to believe such an outlandish statement.  Has he since retracted that statement about continuing to use the inherited playbook/scheme?

Do you think Kitchens was just making stuff up when he had this to say about his previous interactions with Monken (taken from the same article)?

“I’m very impressed that Todd made that decision to come here, because he had some other opportunities,’’ Kitchens said. “And he showed an investment in me and showed an investment in what we’re trying to build and the vision where we’re taking this thing.”

For someone who doesn’t “focus on what NFL coaches state publicly,” you sure have devoted quite some time to quoting them in this thread.

On Wednesday, March 27, 2019 at 12:45 PM, Gohawks said:

His ADP is around the 13-17 range. That's absolutely absurd when you consider they have a guy that led the league in rushing just two years ago and was on pace for well over 1,000 yards again last season. In fact, you can actually even argue that Hunt is a better player than Chubb. I wouldn't take Chubb before the 3rd-4th round.

You're talking about an offense that made Damien Williams look like an all-pro.  Chubb is much better than Hunt.  Duke may be traded, then Hunt will basically just take his role.  I wouldn't be surprised if Chubb scores 14+ TD's in this offense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BMcP said:

You have a source on that claim that Kitchens and Monken hadn’t had a single conversation about the offense at that point?  Because I will need one in order to believe such an outlandish statement.  Has he since retracted that statement about continuing to use the inherited playbook/scheme?

Do you think Kitchens was just making stuff up when he had this to say about his previous interactions with Monken (taken from the same article)?

“I’m very impressed that Todd made that decision to come here, because he had some other opportunities,’’ Kitchens said. “And he showed an investment in me and showed an investment in what we’re trying to build and the vision where we’re taking this thing.”

For someone who doesn’t “focus on what NFL coaches state publicly,” you sure have devoted quite some time to quoting them in this thread.

You asked about the public statements from the coaches and  I gave them to you. it's called research. How soon we forget what we asked for?🤪

Ok so maybe you didnt follow the timeline of the events you are quoting.

So here is the backdrop Dorsey wanted Monken as the OC called him and offered him the job, Monken hopped on a plane to do a quick meet and greet at the facility before he accepted the offer.

1. Kitchens was named HC  Jan 12

2. You are quoting from Kitchens when he gave his first presser as the Browns HC Jan 14 

3. Monken met Dorsey and kitchens both for the 1st time around Jan10

4. Monken was hired  Jan 14

5. Monken started with the Browns Feb1

6. Monken gave his 1st presser Feb7 where he stated he didnt know what his exact responsibilities would be and he wasnt calling plays.

So yes it is not a reach to think that kitchens and monken did not sit and have serious conversation about the offense that would be run given that  Monken  never met Kitchens until a few days before he was named HC on Jan 12 and Monken was hired jan 14 and didnt start his job until Feb1

He stated on Feb 7 that they are working through the offense

FEB7 👉On vision for the Browns 2019 offense when combining Kitchens’ and his offensive schemes:

We are working through that now. It is always fun. It takes time, but it is something that as we come together [we will determine]. Freddie was here one year so initially, (former Browns offensive coordinator) Todd Haley’s system and terminology, you have that running around his head. You have what they did in Arizona with (former Cardinals and Buccaneers Head Coach) Bruce Arians for a number of years. Then you have what we did in Tampa and some of the things that the other coaches will bring to the table. You have (offensive line/associate head coach) James (Campen) in the run game and what they did in Green Bay. We are working through that now to make it the Browns offense. That is what you do. Next offseason will be a lot easier because you will have had everything or at least the majority of your offensive package put together and what you like and dislike. Every day, you are implementing things and talking through it, and it is going to become easier.”

So not sure why you are having difficulty in accepting that haleys system will be a base however  as a new coaching staff they will implement and modify according to their collective philosophies. So yes it is safe to say with 3 new coaches involved with the offense we really don't know what we will see on the field for 2019 even if they are using haleys system as a base.

Of course it is assummed you are going to keep the bones of the system Baker learned last season and build from there but the coaches will collectively be adding their philosophies to it and thus create a new system as they go along, keeping what works and throwing out what doesnt.

I also think adding  OBJ changes  A LOT of things because of his immense talent it can open up an offense in ways ktichens didnt think of last season or on Jan 14 or in ways  none of the coaches were thinking on Feb7.

You can adhere  to what you read Jan 14 and I will process  NEW information as it becomes available. . .👀

Edited by dashoe

15 minutes ago, dashoe said:

You asked about the public statements from the coaches and  I gave them to you. it's called research. How soon we forget what we asked for?🤪

Ok so maybe you didnt follow the timeline of the events you are quoting.

So here is the backdrop Dorsey wanted Monken as the OC called him and offered him the job, Monken hopped on a plane to do a quick meet and greet at the facility before he accepted the offer.

1. Kitchens was named HC  Jan 12

2. You are quoting from Kitchens when he gave his first presser as the Browns HC Jan 14 

3. Monken met Dorsey and kitchens both for the 1st time around Jan10

4. Monken was hired  Jan 14

5. Monken started with the Browns Feb1

6. Monken gave his 1st presser Feb7 where he stated he didnt know what his exact responsibilities would be and he wasnt calling plays.

So yes it is not a reach to think that kitchens and monken did not sit and have serious conversation about the offense that would be run given that  Monken  never met Kitchens until a few days before he was named HC on Jan 12 and Monken was hired jan 14 and didnt start his job until Feb1

He stated on Feb 7 that they are working through the offense

FEB7 👉On vision for the Browns 2019 offense when combining Kitchens’ and his offensive schemes:

We are working through that now. It is always fun. It takes time, but it is something that as we come together [we will determine]. Freddie was here one year so initially, (former Browns offensive coordinator) Todd Haley’s system and terminology, you have that running around his head. You have what they did in Arizona with (former Cardinals and Buccaneers Head Coach) Bruce Arians for a number of years. Then you have what we did in Tampa and some of the things that the other coaches will bring to the table. You have (offensive line/associate head coach) James (Campen) in the run game and what they did in Green Bay. We are working through that now to make it the Browns offense. That is what you do. Next offseason will be a lot easier because you will have had everything or at least the majority of your offensive package put together and what you like and dislike. Every day, you are implementing things and talking through it, and it is going to become easier.”

So not sure why you are having difficulty in accepting that haleys system will be a base however  as a new coaching staff they will implement and modify according to their collective philosophies. So yes it is safe to say with 3 new coaches involved with the offense we really don't know what we will see on the field for 2019 even if they are using haleys system as a base.

Of course it is assummed you are going to keep the bones of the system Baker learned last season and build from there but the coaches will collectively be adding their philosophies to it and thus create a new system as they go along, keeping what works and throwing out what doesnt.

You can adhere  to what you read Jan 14 and I will process  NEW information as it becomes available. . .👀

Forgive me, but I literally do not recall ever asking you (or anyone else) for quotes of what coaches stated publicly.  It actually doesn’t seem like something I would do.  But if I missed an instance of this, just quote it and I will stand humbly corrected. You have been quoting coaches for pages now - it struck me as odd in light of your most recent statement that you don’t focus on that sort of thing.

I agree with the timeline you presented - what I vehemently disagree with is the notion that Kitchens and Monken never discussed the vision for the offense before - you know - Monken was hired to coordinate said offense.  That would also require me to believe that Kitchens was dissembling when he talked about how Monken bought into his offensive vision.  (You don’t have to meet someone in person to have a conversation with them.)

Also, what makes you think that I doubt Haley’s scheme will only be a “base”?  Of course everyone hired to assist Kitchens in crafting the offense (including Freddie himself) will put their stamp on it - that’s akin to stating that grass is green.  My initial point, which I made in response to your comment #3 above, is that this won’t be some mysterious, brand-new scheme.  It will be built around the integuments of the Haley system - and they will continue using the Haley playbook.  Kitchens strikes me as a brutally frank, no-nonsense kind of guy - I doubt he would lie to the media about that.   It also sounded to me like you were not aware that he had confirmed that until I stated it upthread.

Edited by BMcP

3 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Forgive me, but I literally do not recall ever asking you (or anyone else) for quotes of what coaches stated publicly.  It actually doesn’t seem like something I would do.  But if I missed an instance of this, just quote it and I will stand humbly corrected. You have been quoting coaches for pages now - it struck me as odd in light of your most recent statement that you don’t focus on that sort of thing.

This is where your query started:

On 3/26/2019 at 5:46 PM, BMcP said:

Are we assuming the coaches won’t say anything publicly about how they plan to integrate Hunt?  Or are we just saying it’s safe to disregard their comments for planning purposes?

Personally, I think Chubb will remain a dependable RB1 even upon Hunt’s return, even if his workload diminishes slightly.

This is where you thanked me: 😂

On 3/26/2019 at 7:06 PM, BMcP said:

I’m afraid to quote this tome, but thank you for these reports.  As I’ve mentioned previously, I think you’ll see quite a bit of Hunt, Chubb - and even Duke - on the field simultaneously in this offense.  And given Monken’s principle of wanting to maximize the number of times his playmakers touch the ball, all will be involved - including the team’s proven best playmaker at tailback - indeed the team’s only proven playmaker thus far.  Draft Chubb confidently as a RB1 and reap the reward of whatever discount you may get from the Hunt news.

and then it all just took on a life of it's own after that😱

17 minutes ago, dashoe said:

This is where your query started:

This is where you thanked me: 😂

and then it all just took on a life of it's own after that😱

Okay, true...but I’m still not seeing where I asked you (or anyone else) what it is a coach stated publicly? (I figured you would cite that post so I re-read it carefully before posting.)

Incidentally, none of your quotes had to do with how the Browns plan to integrate Hunt.

Edited by BMcP

7 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Okay, true...but I’m still not seeing where I asked you (or anyone else) what it is a coach stated publicly? (I figured you would cite that post so I re-read it carefully before posting.)

Incidentally, none of your quotes had to do with how the Browns plan to integrate Hunt.

Dude you just won't cry UNCLE and I'm not sure why this all became so complicated. . .🤣

You asked this question 👉Are we assuming the coaches won’t say anything publicly about how they plan to integrate Hunt?  Or are we just saying it’s safe to disregard their comments for planning purposes?

I responded 👉 I generally DISREGARD WHAT COACHES STATE PUBLICLY and then I provided you with public statements the HC-OC-QB made regarding the offense, Kareem Hunt, Duke Johnson, Chubb and the running game.

UNCLE!!! 🍺

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, dashoe said:

Dude you just won't cry UNCLE and I'm not sure why this all became so complicated. . .🤣

You asked this question 👉Are we assuming the coaches won’t say anything publicly about how they plan to integrate Hunt?  Or are we just saying it’s safe to disregard their comments for planning purposes?

I responded 👉 I generally DISREGARD WHAT COACHES STATE PUBLICLY and then I provided you with public statements the HC-OC-QB made regarding the offense, Kareem Hunt, Duke Johnson, Chubb and the running game.

UNCLE!!! 🍺

Funny - was about to say the same about you.  No shame in simply admitting you’re wrong - but for some strange reason, you refuse.   Even after having been outed for not knowing Kitchens was bringing back the same Haley scheme/book.  It’s a bit weird, mate.

4 hours ago, dashoe said:

UNCLE!!! 🍺

*cracking up When and where did you respond that?  I’m doing spit-takes over here