munde53

Nick Chubb 2019 Outlook

6 minutes ago, Ryansm11 said:

I like cook a lot. I’ve been torn between cook or hunt at 10 for 2 weeks now. Conner scares me this year and I’m not sure why. Pittsburgh has never had a RBBC (im a Steelers fan) but I’m getting a weird vibe this year. 

I have Chubb in a tier above Conner. Not confident by the usage of Conner either. Owned him last season and remember Switzer being in the backfield a lot at times instead of Conner when the Steelers went all in on passing. Talent wise I prefer Chubb as well.

5 hours ago, Ryansm11 said:

Hunt won’t be back till week 10 because of the week 7 bye. After not playing in an NFL game for an entire year, and not being able to practice with the team for 9 weeks, I’ll be shocked if he has any immediate impact. Week 12 is when I expect hunt to start cutting into the workload. 

I agree.

But, Chubb will be so well established as a stud RB#1 they (the Browns) won't mess with it in any significant way. Hunt is insurance and change of pace at best IMO.  Chubb is expected to and has been taking more passes in the offense. I'm very comfortable with Chubb as a start and don't worry RB #1.

As far as RB Cook goes (mentioned in previous posts above), as an FSU grad I can tell you he was oft injured in college and though he is talented, he's been very breakable.

As far as the whole Hunt impact, he's not some guy who was mid-career before he had the off-the-field incident. He just turned 24 8 days ago and has just 453 carries to his resume.

He's extremely talented and since he is on just a 1-year contract I have to think the Browns will want to see what they have with him in hopes of re-signing him and I think he'll be just as eager to prove himself and re-sign given that they did him a big favor by signing him as a Cleveland native.

I don't think Cleveland signed such a talented back to 1-year deal only for him to be a pure backup to Chubb and then have him walk on to some other team next year. I could easily see him getting up to 1/3rd or slightly more of the touches as the 2nd half progresses to keep both backs in game mode and fresh for presumably a playoff push.

• Thanks 1

Im a down on all browns except their def and chubb. They have SUCH a cupcake schedule this year. I see a lot of games were they are ahead and feeding chubb. Only big blemish is hunt and i echo the sentiments above. However, he is going top ten way to rich. Pass. Give me Micheal thomas, Julio etc. People say rbs arent deep which is true but look at the top wr situations now.

Antonio Brown- Hurt, Insane, New bad team

OBJ- Hurt, new team, competition for targets, terrible schedule.

TY HILTON- No luck.

Amari Cooper- plantir issues. 

8 hours ago, Ryansm11 said:

I like cook a lot. I’ve been torn between cook or hunt at 10 for 2 weeks now.

You meant Chubb, right?

Id rather take Chubb in the late first and just take whoever is left of WR in the early 2nd. You should be left with Thomas, Hill, Juju at worst. Id rather that then take Julio in the first hoping for Chubb to slip to the 2nd because if he is taken then you are left with Cook, Conner, Gurley types who I think are all more risky. In other words Is rather have:

Chubb & Juju/Thomas/Hill

than

Cook/Conner/Gurley & Julio

• Like 1

To what extent can Hunt be involved with the team while serving his suspension? Can he participate in practice? No practice, but can be in the film room? None of the above?

7 hours ago, RMJ_12 said:

You meant Chubb, right?

Yessir, thanks my man. Don’t try and work and do this at the same time lol. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, gufomel said:

To what extent can Hunt be involved with the team while serving his suspension? Can he participate in practice? No practice, but can be in the film room? None of the above?

He is not allowed at the facility. 

1 hour ago, yanksman said:

Id rather take Chubb in the late first and just take whoever is left of WR in the early 2nd. You should be left with Thomas, Hill, Juju at worst. Id rather that then take Julio in the first hoping for Chubb to slip to the 2nd because if he is taken then you are left with Cook, Conner, Gurley types who I think are all more risky. In other words Is rather have:

Chubb & Juju/Thomas/Hill

than

Cook/Conner/Gurley & Julio

Exactly, same thought process on my end. 

10 hours ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

As far as the whole Hunt impact, he's not some guy who was mid-career before he had the off-the-field incident. He just turned 24 8 days ago and has just 453 carries to his resume.

He's extremely talented and since he is on just a 1-year contract I have to think the Browns will want to see what they have with him in hopes of re-signing him and I think he'll be just as eager to prove himself and re-sign given that they did him a big favor by signing him as a Cleveland native.

I don't think Cleveland signed such a talented back to 1-year deal only for him to be a pure backup to Chubb and then have him walk on to some other team next year. I could easily see him getting up to 1/3rd or slightly more of the touches as the 2nd half progresses to keep both backs in game mode and fresh for presumably a playoff push.

Agree.  I mean, think about it.  It's week 10.  Chubb has (hopefully) gone through 8 games of big workloads.  He's probably dinged up from being tackled so much, and he's certainly worn down.  You got a perfectly fresh and healthy Hunt standing on the sideline.  Do we think the staff is going to say "Hey, let's keep running Chubb into the ground while our Pro Bowl RB warms the bench for him"? 

Hunt is gonna play some.  It's TBD how much, but he's gonna play.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Brownsfan74 said:

Agree.  I mean, think about it.  It's week 10.  Chubb has (hopefully) gone through 8 games of big workloads.  He's probably dinged up from being tackled so much, and he's certainly worn down.  You got a perfectly fresh and healthy Hunt standing on the sideline.  Do we think the staff is going to say "Hey, let's keep running Chubb into the ground while our Pro Bowl RB warms the bench for him"? 

Hunt is gonna play some.  It's TBD how much, but he's gonna play.

I don’t see him actually impacting chubb’s time until week 11 or on at least though. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ryansm11 said:

I don’t see him actually impacting chubb’s time until week 11 or on at least though. 

He's not being traded to the team and has no clue about what is going on.  He's learned the playbook by now, if he is on top of things.  I don't see why he can't play significantly out of the gate.  He'll get a full week's practice in before his first game back.  Also, he's a RB....all he needs to know is where the hole is "supposed" to be on a given play (and often it's not there, which is why RB's need vision and tackle breaking ability).  If he were a QB or WR, then maybe he needs more time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

Minor detail- although Hunt is on a 1 year contract he will be a restricted FA in 2020. So he can’t walk on to another team. The Browns will still likely want to show him on the field though so they can decide what round to tender him at. I’m sure after that year assuming he keep his nose clean and plays well he’ll be looking for a bigger contract as a featured back and will command more money that Cleveland will be willing to pay.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Brownsfan74 said:

Also, he's a RB....all he needs to know is where the hole is "supposed" to be on a given play (and often it's not there, which is why RB's need vision and tackle breaking ability).  If he were a QB or WR, then maybe he needs more time.

Yeah protecting your franchise QB in pass protection really isn’t a big deal. 

5 minutes ago, Ryansm11 said:

Oh, please. You're really reaching here. You think Hunt is new to pass protection?

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Ryansm11 said:

Good point.  Yes, pass pro is very important.  Hunt isn't a rookie though.  He knows how to pass protect.  Again, if he knows the playbook, it shouldn't take that much for him to get on the field quickly.

7 minutes ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

Oh, please. You're really reaching here. You think Hunt is new to pass protection?

New to the browns pass protection, yes. It’s not as simple as getting the ball and running straight. 

Has anyone discussed the idea that Chubb is just a better RB than Kareem Hunt?  So even when Hunt gets back, they would be doing the team a disservice by putting a lesser player on the field for more than the occasional spell to give Chubb a breather.  Don't get me wrong Hunt achieved great things IN KANSAS CITY under Andy Reid, the same place/system that just about every RB has succeeded in - Damien Williams, Spencer Ware, Chark West - a bunch of JAGs who all had some level of success under Reid.  

I think Hunt will get more than 5 touches a game when he comes back, but Chubb should absolutely still be the horse with Hunt getting some touches, most probably coming in the passing game.  I look at Alvin Kamara from last year, but to a bit lesser extent.  He was the RB1 Overall while Ingram was out as New Orleans rode him for the first four weeks.  However, once Ingram came back, it was still the Kamara show with Ingram sprinkled in, and Kamara still went on to have a great season - RB2 from Week 7-16 last year.  Of course his average dropped from about 25 PPG down to 19 PPG, but still great production.

I expect a similar path for Chubb, maybe to a lesser extent.  Dynamite RB1 STUD production the first 10 weeks, and then once Hunt comes back I can see Chubb's PPG dip by a handful of points, but I expect he'll still get majority of touches and put up RB1 numbers down the stretch.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Ryansm11 said:

New to the browns pass protection, yes. It’s not as simple as getting the ball and running straight. 

Yeah, you're still reaching.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Fort4242 said:

However, once Ingram came back, it was still the Kamara show with Ingram sprinkled in,

Uh....no.

Ingram carries and receptions after he returned - 138 / 21

Kamara carries and receptions after Ingram returned - 138 / 46

Now granted, Kamara did more with his touches, but we are talking usage here and it was a near even split.

Edited by Brownsfan74

If Chubb is tearing it up and Hillard fills the shoes of duke johnsonin the first 6 weeks, I think there’s an outside chance hunt could be traded before the deadline to a rb needy team. Pretty far fetched ,but wouldn’t surprise me if that was the browns thought process when they signed Hunt. Especially how active they’ve been in the trade market.

If Chubb stumbles and hillard doesn’t preform well, then they will have Hunt on the cheap.

I believe Hunt is a great talent but let’s not forget what system he was in last year, journeyman D Williams looks like a superstar in that system.

2 minutes ago, Fort4242 said:

Has anyone discussed the idea that Chubb is just a better RB than Kareem Hunt?  So even when Hunt gets back, they would be doing the team a disservice by putting a lesser player on the field for more than the occasional spell to give Chubb a breather.  Don't get me wrong Hunt achieved great things IN KANSAS CITY under Andy Reid, the same place/system that just about every RB has succeeded in - Damien Williams, Spencer Ware, Chark West - a bunch of JAGs who all had some level of success under Reid.  

Based on?  Ware, West and Williams have all been successful but not to the level that Hunt was.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Brownsfan74 said:

Uh....no.

Ingram carries and receptions after he returned - 138 / 21

Kamara carries and receptions after Ingram returned - 138 / 46

Now granted, Kamara did more with his touches, but we are talking usage here and it was a near even split.

Their touches may have been the same in terms of totals but I don't believe they weren't used as interchangeably as this indicates on paper. To start the game and in the biggest situations, it was almost always Kamara.