munde53

Nick Chubb 2019 Outlook

1 hour ago, CrastersCreep said:

Freddie Kitchens seems way over his head and is the biggest thing working against Chub too.

Browns head coach Freddie Kitchens was highly critical of his work as the team’s offensive playcaller after Sunday night’s loss to the Rams, but he isn’t planning to take a step back from that role.

Kitchens referred to a draw play on fourth-and-9 with just over nine minutes to play as a “bad call” and said he should have run the ball in the final minute of the game with the Browns trying to tie the game with a touchdown. He said Monday that “some of these situations” are new for him and vowed to get better because he’s not giving up the playcalling role.

“That’s not even being considered,” Kitchens said, via Cleveland.com.

The Browns are averaging just over 16 points a game through the first three weeks, but Kitchens said on Monday that the Browns are “going to be fine” offensively. They’ll try to take a step in that direction against the Ravens in Week Four.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/09/23/freddie-kitchens-not-considering-giving-up-offensive-playcalling-duties/

All you have to do is play Madden to know that you should never run from the shotgun ever.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

14 minutes ago, Newtown said:

Browns head coach Freddie Kitchens was highly critical of his work as the team’s offensive playcaller after Sunday night’s loss to the Rams, but he isn’t planning to take a step back from that role.

Kitchens referred to a draw play on fourth-and-9 with just over nine minutes to play as a “bad call” and said he should have run the ball in the final minute of the game with the Browns trying to tie the game with a touchdown. He said Monday that “some of these situations” are new for him and vowed to get better because he’s not giving up the playcalling role.

The Browns are averaging just over 16 points a game through the first three weeks, but Kitchens said on Monday that the Browns are “going to be fine” offensively. They’ll try to take a step in that direction against the Ravens in Week Four.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/09/23/freddie-kitchens-not-considering-giving-up-offensive-playcalling-duties/

Well at least he acknowledged his errors and hopefully he’ll make better play calls going forward. Historically only the very best and experienced coaches manage both offensive playcalling duties as well serving as HC...pretty crazy a first year HC with minimal experience as a coordinator is doing both.

46 minutes ago, matthew berry said:

Their designed passes are too predictable and they were being ran from the wrong spot.  Last night there was a linebacker shadowing him and Chubb would pretty much run straight towards him and stop.  Good route running is about finding space and creating separation.  If anything Chubb should have drifted towards the sideline a bit to maintain that separation.  Not sure if thats a Chubb issue or a play design issue where he was just going where he was told. 

Agree big time on the Baker roll out to the opposite side of Chubb.  I saw that several times.  

Agreed on everything you said.  

I noticed what you're talking about with Chubb and the LB, it seemed to me like it was designed that way and his coaches told him he had to be there. His body language said "this is stupid, but ok" every time they called that. The biggest reason I think he was told to be in that spot was because he expected to be hit immediately every single time. Kitchens looks to be one of the dumbest coaches in the history of the NFL.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Newtown said:

1st and goal from the 4 is new to this guy? Lol

• Haha 1

The playcalling has been comically bad, and Mayfield isnt helping either with his bad reads and ego audibles. 

People will look at the box score and see Chubb with 20+ touches and assume his involvement is just fine, but it's clear to anyone watching that the playcalling has not put their skill players in the best position to succeed with respect to their skillset.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CrastersCreep said:

Well at least he acknowledged his errors and hopefully he’ll make better play calls going forward. Historically only the very best and experienced coaches manage both offensive playcalling duties as well serving as HC...pretty crazy a first year HC with minimal experience as a coordinator is doing both.

This is so bizarre to watch unfold. Maybe because we're so used to coaches being stubborn. 

He didn't use Chubb enough in Week 2. People bitched about it. He acknowledge it, and then Chubb was given a full workload in Week 3 and handled it well.

Say what you will but it seems he really is willing to make adjustments week to week. Which is admirable for someone who is still trying to figure this out. The 1st and goal with 0 runs at the end of the game was still mind boggling, but hopefully it means Chubb will be featured in the red zone a lot more going forward

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, pushaZ said:

All you have to do is play Madden to know that you should never run from the shotgun ever.

All you have to do is play Madden to know that you should never play Madden.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Mr.STD said:

1st and goal from the 4 is new to this guy? Lol

oh please. he was cleary up against Chubb in his fantasy matchup.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, matthew berry said:

Their designed passes are too predictable and they were being ran from the wrong spot.  Last night there was a linebacker shadowing him and Chubb would pretty much run straight towards him and stop.  Good route running is about finding space and creating separation.  If anything Chubb should have drifted towards the sideline a bit to maintain that separation.  Not sure if thats a Chubb issue or a play design issue where he was just going where he was told. 

Agree big time on the Baker roll out to the opposite side of Chubb.  I saw that several times.  

Agreed on everything you said.  

There are a lot of problems with some of these screen passes. You typically should not run a screen on man coverage. Sure fire way to get the receiver blown up. Screens are best against zone defenses and blitzes. The QB should recognize the defense and change into a better play.

Additionally, the QB should be given enough time to make adjustments to the play call at the line of scrimmage if it is man coverage, but it's hard when you get lined up with 12 seconds to go on the play clock.

Lastly, there is no motion to help the QB recognize the coverage.

Bottom line is, this offense is currently broken and good screen plays will be hard to come by as they are presently drawn up and executed.

39 minutes ago, Newtown said:

There are a lot of problems with some of these screen passes. You typically should not run a screen on man coverage. Sure fire way to get the receiver blown up. Screens are best against zone defenses and blitzes. The QB should recognize the defense and change into a better play.

Additionally, the QB should be given enough time to make adjustments to the play call at the line of scrimmage if it is man coverage, but it's hard when you get lined up with 12 seconds to go on the play clock.

I wonder if Baker is given the option (by coaching staff) to change the plays

Lastly, there is no motion to help the QB recognize the coverage.

I have Chubb, so i was watching Chubb on every play.  And it looked like that defender was assigned to Chubb the entire game except a handful of plays where Chubb floated uncovered into the flat with Baker rolling out to the opposite side -____- 

Bottom line is, this offense is currently broken and good screen plays will be hard to come by as they are presently drawn up and executed.

Yeah the plays are horrible but they know it's a work in progress and I do see improvement from Week 1 and 2.  (i.e. Chubb got more involved and Baker got rid of the ball faster)

Season Long Work Horses

Name Team GMS SNAP % SNAPS/GM % of Offense PPRpts PPRpts / 100 Snaps
Le’Veon Bell NYJ 3 96.3 61.3 41% 54.4 29.6
Christian McCaffrey CAR 3 97.6 68 38% 78 38.2
Dalvin Cook MIN 3 66.9 40.3 37% 78.4 64.8
Leonard Fournette JAX 3 94.4 56.3 35% 39.3 23.3
Nick Chubb CLE 3 76.2 54.3 34% 48.4 29.7
Alvin Kamara NO 3 75.7 47.7 33% 68 47.6

Through 3 weeks, these are the top running backs that are contributing to over one-third of their team’s offensive plays. Although some might not be putting up monster numbers – yes, we are all looking at you Leonard Fournette –  these are guys that you want to own and play on a regular basis. I also want to give an honorable mention to Marlon Mack. Mack has 32% of his team’s total offense. Though he narrowly missed the one-third cut off to be labeled a “Work Horse”, he is the last RB to be above 30% of total offense and he is currently the RB9.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

Oof- now Todd Monken says Nick Chubb shouldn't be on the field every play last week? Yuck. I kind of want out of all browns players...

He told you that directly?

• Haha 3

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 2:13 PM, street sharks said:

This is so bizarre to watch unfold. Maybe because we're so used to coaches being stubborn. 

He didn't use Chubb enough in Week 2. People bitched about it. He acknowledge it, and then Chubb was given a full workload in Week 3 and handled it well.

Say what you will but it seems he really is willing to make adjustments week to week. Which is admirable for someone who is still trying to figure this out. The 1st and goal with 0 runs at the end of the game was still mind boggling, but hopefully it means Chubb will be featured in the red zone a lot more going forward

While he did get Chubb on the field more I think the lack of creative ways to use him (or any Browns player for that matter) is also a telling sign of Kitchens' current abilities as an OC... it's almost a lateral move when you get a back more touches but they come in the most predictable manner possible.

Ultimately I think that's where the Browns are really struggling, they aren't finding creative ways to get the ball to their playmakers. On paper they have a dynamic set of weapons but  there's clearly a logical disconnect as to how to actually use these guys that needs to be corrected. My concern for this week is that Kitchens will acknowledge the quick passing game as being successful and that is all they are going to run to the point where it'll be too easy for the defense to tee off on guys over the middle if they aren't being kept honest. We'll see, there's a lot of time to right the ship but I'm not overly optimistic at this point.

56 minutes ago, Braves16 said:

He told you that directly?

But, less snaps doesn't mean less touches really. CMC gonna get run into the ground 

1 minute ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

But, less snaps doesn't mean less touches really. CMC gonna get run into the ground 

Could be good for his efficiency actually.

I don't get any points for him executing a good play fake or blocking a blitzing safety, but he takes the contact either way.

• Like 1

Just now, JE7HorseGod said:

I don't get any points for him executing a good play fake or blocking a blitzing safety, but he takes the contact either way.

Yes- was reading he's been one of the more inefficient backs in the league season-to-date per DVOA and EPA metrics. I'm glad if they figure out ways to improve his efficiency and overall the efficiency of the offense but am not overally confident.

Just now, PlayTheWaivers said:

Yes- was reading he's been one of the more inefficient backs in the league season-to-date per DVOA and EPA metrics. I'm glad if they figure out ways to improve his efficiency and overall the efficiency of the offense but am not overally confident.

The line is god awful.  Same problem with Baker and (excluding the Jets TD) OBJ.

They need to do some juggling.

Just now, JE7HorseGod said:

The line is god awful.  Same problem with Baker and (excluding the Jets TD) OBJ.

They need to do some juggling.

They've ranked top-12 in run blocking and top-18 in pass blocking, so it hasn't been terrible. It's the vanilla offense and bad play calling, and Baker seems to have regressed. 

3 minutes ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

They've ranked top-12 in run blocking and top-18 in pass blocking, so it hasn't been terrible. It's the vanilla offense and bad play calling, and Baker seems to have regressed. 

I'm just going by what I see.

Robinson is not an effective left tackle.  They've not done a good job sealing outside contain on the run blocks.  They don't have time to effectively set up good patterns, as Ron Rivera would say they're "playing sideways" because they know they don't have the talent to create time to set up a deep passing game and thus create more running lanes.  Basically every play is trapped in an 8 yard box because that's all they have time for.

Edited by JE7HorseGod

14 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Seems like there has to be a balance between week 2 where he was off the field on every 3rd down and last week where he played the whole game. 

What i I don’t get is why kitchens, who as far as I can tell doesn’t have much for qualifications, is calling the plays as the HC. Seems like monken did pretty well as an OC considering what he had to work with. 

Edited by nromn
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, nromn said:

Seems like there has to be a balance between week 2 where he was off the field on every 3rd down and last week where he played the whole game. 

What i I don’t get is why kitchens, who as far as I can tell doesn’t have much for qualifications, is calling the plays as the HC.

Seems like monken did pretty well as an OC

considering what he had to work with. 

ICYMI: #Browns Freddie Kitchens on turning the playcalling over to Todd Monken: 'That's not even being considered' https://t.co/HLISRvDfK4

— Mary Kay Cabot (@MaryKayCabot) September 24, 2019

On 9/23/2019 at 1:35 PM, pushaZ said:

inside zone was pretty good 2 years ago, hadn't played in awhile, not the case anymore?