Fantasy Gooroo

Christian McCaffrey 2019 Outlook

I thought they drafted CMC with the hopes of Cam taking less of a beating? After how banged up he got again, I have to think the vultured TDs will decrease next season

The buzz on this guy before this season was whether or not he should be a 1st round draft pick or not. I think unanimously everyone believed he was going to have a monster year after his coach said he was going to be a bell cow and after a couple pre-season games it was clear they wanted to ride him hard this season.

I reached for him in the second round of every draft and won 2/3 leagues because of him, 1 standard and 1 PPR. I will definitely take him in the top 5 next year and can only see a handful of guys possibly going ahead of him: Gurley, Saquan, Conner (maybe), and Zeke (maybe). Yeah there are concerns about his usage or possibly getting injured, but that is all speculation at this point. 

12 hours ago, sakuraba216 said:

The buzz on this guy before this season was whether or not he should be a 1st round draft pick or not. I think unanimously everyone believed he was going to have a monster year after his coach said he was going to be a bell cow and after a couple pre-season games it was clear they wanted to ride him hard this season.

I will eat some humble pie here. I generally ignore coach speak and expected him to be the passing back, with CJA and Cam doing a lot of rushing. By no means had I expected 200 rushes from CMC (or the amount of TDs).

What confuses me is that CMC was essentially their offense on his own, being both the main rushing threat AND the main receiving threat, but still the Panthers were hardly a rush-first team.

I will be curious to see whether Cam can get his shoulder back in shape, and whether they will make an addition to the receiving corps; both could affect CMCs usage.

As far as the Panthers are concerned, how did they turn a 6-2 season into a 7-9 end? I see they had 13 turnovers in the last 8 games, was that all due to Cam's shoulder?

Edited by Boudewijn

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 8:53 PM, fachowski said:

I'd figure he and barkley would be 1A/1B in next season's drafts. 

With the way Cam is regressing physically, he'd be looking for more dump offs and not gonna jump for TDs at the goal line.

I'd peg him as a cyborg version of westbrook, woodhead, sproles and he seems like he has 3 to 5 years of elite level play in him.

love both but over gurley? eh

31 minutes ago, floppy said:

love both but over gurley? eh

over gurley + zeke. . . doubt it

On 1/5/2019 at 2:35 AM, Boudewijn said:

As far as the Panthers are concerned, how did they turn a 6-2 season into a 7-9 end? I see they had 13 turnovers in the last 8 games, was that all due to Cam's shoulder?

1. The defense fell of the face of the earth

2. Cam couldnt push the ball downfield with any accuracy

3. defenses noticed the pass game sucked and loaded the box

4. you can't win games dumping off to your rb and when ur  mobile QB can't pass for more than 10yds  with a bad shoulder u force him to be a pocket passer.

The should have turmed Cam into lamar jackson end of the season once they realized he couldnt make throws

On 1/5/2019 at 1:35 AM, Boudewijn said:

I will eat some humble pie here. I generally ignore coach speak and expected him to be the passing back, with CJA and Cam doing a lot of rushing. By no means had I expected 200 rushes from CMC (or the amount of TDs).

What confuses me is that CMC was essentially their offense on his own, being both the main rushing threat AND the main receiving threat, but still the Panthers were hardly a rush-first team.

I will be curious to see whether Cam can get his shoulder back in shape, and whether they will make an addition to the receiving corps; both could affect CMCs usage.

He’s one example to not completely disregard the preseason games...it would’ve made zero sense for Carolina to use him to bang up the middle like they did in games where it didn’t count, then use him differently during the season.

6 hours ago, RustyMiller said:

Someone is gunning for that #1 pick.

Wow, good to see he's having healthy breakfasts. Does he prefer Honey Oats Cheetiosterones or Fruit Loopabols?

Edited by Boudewijn
  • Haha 1

On 1/28/2019 at 8:49 AM, dashoe said:

1. The defense fell of the face of the earth

2. Cam couldnt push the ball downfield with any accuracy

3. defenses noticed the pass game sucked and loaded the box

4. you can't win games dumping off to your rb and when ur  mobile QB can't pass for more than 10yds  with a bad shoulder u force him to be a pocket passer.

The should have turmed Cam into lamar jackson end of the season once they realized he couldnt make throws

Agree with 1-4 but not the final point. Cam should’ve been shutdown sooner, not forced to play hurt. I’m not sure if it was cam or the coaches who made him keep playing, but man was that a bad call. Dude couldn’t throw past 25 yards. A guy who normally gets flack for “throwing too hard”

ill also eat crow on cmc. Did not expect that volume or such a steep increase in his rushing ability from year 1 to 2. Coaches are once again saying they want to limit touches, who knows if that’s true or not

I'm guessing a minor tick down on touches as they know they need to spread it around or teams will just key on McCaffrey big time. But still a good year. I have him behind Barkley Elliot and Kamara but not by a lot. 

On 5/1/2019 at 12:36 AM, Boudewijn said:

Wow, good to see he's having healthy breakfasts. Does he prefer Honey Oats Cheetiosterones or Fruit Loopabols?

it's gotta be the Wheaties

28_bonds_wheaties_a.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/24/2019 at 10:33 PM, bomont said:

I'm guessing a minor tick down on touches as they know they need to spread it around or teams will just key on McCaffrey big time. But still a good year. I have him behind Barkley Elliot and Kamara but not by a lot. 

In what scoring format?

I draft 2nd full ppr was hoping for elliot. However, in terms of the top 4 he is probably the safest and thats what you look for in your first pick.

Zeke-holdout, if he does get a contract does he get less touches to preserve their investment, plus new oc. Was last years catches flukey?

Kamara- Wont get the volume of the other 3 especially in rushing. Expensive handcuff. Relies on efficiency 

Barkley- literally all the giants have, are we looking at gurely 2016, David johnson 2018. I say no because the line is pretty great and eli will be better.

Mccaffery- Dude is pretty small at 205, yes its all muscle and he has never been hurt (KNOCK ON WOOD), but as an owner who watched him last year dude takes some super hard hits, gets hit square a lot unlike kamara, actually lowers his shoulder. Who knows if olsen and moore eat into his work load. 

Today for me its.

1.Barkley- great line, schedule not too bad, will get more carries than cmc similar catches. Cheap handcuff.

2. CMC- nice schedule, no competition, knows offense, competitive team, gamescript proof. Cheap handcuff. Great off coordinator.

3. Kamara- On the best offense out of the 4, will chip in tons of catches, probably get an uptick in carries.

4. Elliot- Moves up to 3 if he signs within the next 2 weeks.

I am debating this but CMC literally checks all the boxes but his is a little frail size wise playing at 200, compared to 230 barkely and 225 elliot.

One thing I like about CMC, and maybe this is over-thinking it, but I like that the Panthers are competitive, but not too good.  Barkley you have to worry if the Giants are 2-12 as the year winds down, they will shut him down for any little injury or issue.  If the Saints run away with the division again, they might rest a banged up Kamara the last couple weeks. 

You'd have to project the Panthers might be around that .500 / playoff bubble, and will need to go hard right until the end of the season.  If that happens, you might have the perfect storm for having a championship week with CMC getting a ton of touches.

Edited by handyandy86
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, nmartinez12443 said:

I draft 2nd full ppr was hoping for elliot. However, in terms of the top 4 he is probably the safest and thats what you look for in your first pick.

Zeke-holdout, if he does get a contract does he get less touches to preserve their investment, plus new oc. Was last years catches flukey?

Kamara- Wont get the volume of the other 3 especially in rushing. Expensive handcuff. Relies on efficiency 

Barkley- literally all the giants have, are we looking at gurely 2016, David johnson 2018. I say no because the line is pretty great and eli will be better.

Mccaffery- Dude is pretty small at 205, yes its all muscle and he has never been hurt (KNOCK ON WOOD), but as an owner who watched him last year dude takes some super hard hits, gets hit square a lot unlike kamara, actually lowers his shoulder. Who knows if olsen and moore eat into his work load. 

Today for me its.

1.Barkley- great line, schedule not too bad, will get more carries than cmc similar catches. Cheap handcuff.

2. CMC- nice schedule, no competition, knows offense, competitive team, gamescript proof. Cheap handcuff. Great off coordinator.

3. Kamara- On the best offense out of the 4, will chip in tons of catches, probably get an uptick in carries.

I am debating this but CMC literally checks all the boxes but his is a little frail size wise playing at 200, compared to 230 barkely and 225 elliot.

You don't handcuff Barkley.  If he goes down, whoever replaces him is garbage.  You only handcuff guys whose replacements are actually usable.

• Like 1

My god, if Norv gives him any more touches he is going to flirt with 350+ points 0.5ppr. He already had 332 on 326 touches last year. 

Barring injury(and to this point he is made of steel) I think CMC is the safest top 3 RB. 

Saquon has question marks about the offense around him, situational ability to score TDs, season script where the Giants decide to sit him the last few games once season is lost.

Kamara should be similarly concerned about injury(a bit less durable than CMC but still pretty strong), but moreso sharing the backfield with a potential goal line RB, and way fewer touches than any of the other top RBs, at only 275 total last year, with no plans to increase that number.

Zeke obviously has his off field problems and hold out. Otherwise he would be as equally safe a bet as CMC. But he isn’t, because he has availability issues beyond injury.

4 hours ago, nmartinez12443 said:

Today for me its.

McCaffrey may weigh less than the other backs that you mentioned but have you seen pics of him from the past few months?  He looks like the Incredible Hulk.  If I get the first pick in any of my leagues, I'm taking him.

Edited by sjm76

Oh please, you can't be serious with this stuff:

"Barkley might get shut down last year if they suck"  They sucked last year. It didn't happen, to the surprise of no one. Teams play to win. 

"Injury issues" -  Anything is possible but none of the top 4 backs are a real injury concern.

"The team is too good!"  Really? At MOST that might get a RB sitting Week 17 when almost no fantasy games are being played.

"The team is too bad!"  As I mentioned above with Barkley, that's also meaningless.

Come on, if you love McCaffrey, great, I'm with you, I would be happy with him on my team too, but trying to justify him by reaching (really reaching) with reasons that simply aren't valid to not draft the others is silly.