Fantasy Gooroo

Christian McCaffrey 2019 Outlook

Recommended Posts

Here are McCaffery’s numbers per 8 games over his 32 game career:

 

 

Weeks 1-8

49 carries, 117y, 2.4ypc, 0 TD

66 targets, 49 receptions, 378y, 7.7ypr, 2 TD

 

Weeks 9-16

68 carries, 318y, 4.7ypc, 2 TD

47 targets, 31 receptions, 273y, 8.8ypr, 3 TD

 

Weeks 17-24

109 carries, 502y, 4.6ypc, 3 TD

58 targets, 49 receptions, 378y, 7.7ypr, 2 TD

 

Weeks 25-32

110 carries, 596y, 5.4ypc, 4 TD

66 targets, 58 receptions, 489y, 8.4ypr, 4 TD

 

 

 

This is a nice trend.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, bomont said:

Oh please, you can't be serious with this stuff:

"Barkley might get shut down last year if they suck"  They sucked last year. It didn't happen, to the surprise of no one. Teams play to win. 

"Injury issues" -  Anything is possible but none of the top 4 backs are a real injury concern.

"The team is too good!"  Really? At MOST that might get a RB sitting Week 17 when almost no fantasy games are being played.

"The team is too bad!"  As I mentioned above with Barkley, that's also meaningless.

Come on, if you love McCaffrey, great, I'm with you, I would be happy with him on my team too, but trying to justify him by reaching (really reaching) with reasons that simply aren't valid to not draft the others is silly. 

 

The Giants sucked last year, true, but the difference is that last year they had an elite wr, Odell Beckham, to open things up for Barkley.  Now he's gone and the wr core is average at best.  Teams will key on Barkley.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bomont said:

Oh please, you can't be serious with this stuff:

"Barkley might get shut down last year if they suck"  They sucked last year. It didn't happen, to the surprise of no one. Teams play to win. 

"Injury issues" -  Anything is possible but none of the top 4 backs are a real injury concern.

"The team is too good!"  Really? At MOST that might get a RB sitting Week 17 when almost no fantasy games are being played.

"The team is too bad!"  As I mentioned above with Barkley, that's also meaningless.

Come on, if you love McCaffrey, great, I'm with you, I would be happy with him on my team too, but trying to justify him by reaching (really reaching) with reasons that simply aren't valid to not draft the others is silly. 

 

 

I'll preface this by saying that I had never ranked CMC in relation to the others, only that I like aspects of his team situation better than the other consensus top picks. 

Not sure why you'd discount team factors if you had the #1 pick. NYG sucking is a legitimate concern for Barkley. Teams can certainly key in on him. 

Playing on a team with nothing to play for at the end of the year I also find at least a small concern. Yes the Giants sucked last year, and yes Barkley still played. They aren't going to shut down a healthy player. But there's a lot of gray area where a player can pick up pains and ailments through the year, and still being in the fight for a playoff spot can mean the difference between toughing it out or not chancing it. You see it in all major sports. 

I'm still not sure exactly how I rank this elite group, but I do know they're all close enough that it could come down to a preponderance of small factors that sway me one way or another. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sjm76 said:

The Giants sucked last year, true, but the difference is that last year they had an elite wr, Odell Beckham, to open things up for Barkley.  Now he's gone and the wr core is average at best.  Teams will key on Barkley.

Some of his biggest plays came when Beckham was out tho 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Savatage79 said:

Some of his biggest plays came when Beckham was out tho 

It always helps a rb to have a good supporting cast around him to thrive.  This year, Barkley's supporting cast is even worse than last year and the Giants will likely lose a lot of games.  Eli Manning is a year older and has a noodle arm, Golden Tate is a good possession wr but they lack a true #1 wr.  Sterling Shepard is a #2.  Not to mention that a rookie qb (Daniel Jones) will likely be taking over by midseason at the latest.  Barkley is arguably the most talented rb in the league but I just don't like his situation at all this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sjm76 said:

The Giants sucked last year, true, but the difference is that last year they had an elite wr, Odell Beckham, to open things up for Barkley.  Now he's gone and the wr core is average at best.  Teams will key on Barkley.

Go check out what Barkley did the 4 games that Odell missed.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, sjm76 said:

It always helps a rb to have a good supporting cast around him to thrive.  This year, Barkley's supporting cast is even worse than last year and the Giants will likely lose a lot of games.  Eli Manning is a year older and has a noodle arm, Golden Tate is a good possession wr but they lack a true #1 wr.  Sterling Shepard is a #2.  Not to mention that a rookie qb (Daniel Jones) will likely be taking over by midseason at the latest.  Barkley is arguably the most talented rb in the league but I just don't like his situation at all this year.

That's the point tho, some of his biggest games were when his supporting cast was out. And Eli sucked last year, barkely still got it done 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Savatage79 said:

That's the point tho, some of his biggest games were when his supporting cast was out. And Eli sucked last year, barkely still got it done 

I still think that Kamara and McCaffrey are safer options for the #1 pick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sjm76 said:

I still think that Kamara and McCaffrey are safer options for the #1 pick.

My biggest issue is that both will lose gl carries to Murray and cam, whereas barkely has nobody else really taking those snaps 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my auction league, CMC and Kamara went for the same price. I paid for CMC. Hopefully, it pays off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/7/2019 at 7:52 PM, sjm76 said:

I still think that Kamara and McCaffrey are safer options for the #1 pick.

That’s what I’ve been saying since the season ended.

 

Then I got the number one pick. One glance at Barkleys thighs and i don’t know who to take. 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

That’s what I’ve been saying since the season ended.

 

Then I got the number one pick. One glance at Barkleys thighs and i don’t know who to take. 

U must play in a ppg league, points per....."gay'te's been open again honey! Dog got out". League

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/7/2019 at 7:54 PM, Savatage79 said:

My biggest issue is that both will lose gl carries to Murray and cam, whereas barkely has nobody else really taking those snaps 

Cam had four tds with three of them coming from 10 yds or less.  They were all in the first three games.  After that they stopped putting Cam in a situation to get hit more at the goaline and let CMC get the carries.  Cam isn't getting younger and I think Car realized they have the guy in CMC that they don't need to risk Cam.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, youngrice said:

Cam had four tds with three of them coming from 10 yds or less.  They were all in the first three games.  After that they stopped putting Cam in a situation to get hit more at the goaline and let CMC get the carries.  Cam isn't getting younger and I think Car realized they have the guy in CMC that they don't need to risk Cam.

I'm sure they value both guys. While they probably value Cam more due to him being a QB and just his status with the team I doubt they want to put CMC in a situation to get hit a bunch as well. The thing is, they don't really have anyone else. It's not like they have a Latavius Murray type to take away GL carries. It'll be interesting how they manage it but I don't buy them taking carries away from CMC. At least nothing to worry about. They drafted one guy in the 5th round and brought back a guy that has never gotten 50 carries or done anything significant. If they really meant it they would have gotten someone like B. Allen, Zenner, Hyde, and numerous other options. A fairly cheap guy that can come in and do some of the dirty work so CMC doesn't get hit as much. However, they didn't. 

It comes down to would you rather have the team stability and situation of CMC, the generation talent and volume of Barkley, or the efficiency and elite offense of Kamara? There's also Elliot but he is in the air right now. CMC has the least red flags out of anyone but Barkley is tempting for the fun of owning him alone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/7/2019 at 10:54 PM, Savatage79 said:

My biggest issue is that both will lose gl carries to Murray and cam, whereas barkely has nobody else really taking those snaps 

 

However NO and CAR will actually see the GL a whole lot more than NYG likely will. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Gohawks said:

I'm sure they value both guys. While they probably value Cam more due to him being a QB and just his status with the team I doubt they want to put CMC in a situation to get hit a bunch as well. The thing is, they don't really have anyone else. It's not like they have a Latavius Murray type to take away GL carries. It'll be interesting how they manage it but I don't buy them taking carries away from CMC. At least nothing to worry about. They drafted one guy in the 5th round and brought back a guy that has never gotten 50 carries or done anything significant. If they really meant it they would have gotten someone like B. Allen, Zenner, Hyde, and numerous other options. A fairly cheap guy that can come in and do some of the dirty work so CMC doesn't get hit as much. However, they didn't. 

It comes down to would you rather have the team stability and situation of CMC, the generation talent and volume of Barkley, or the efficiency and elite offense of Kamara? There's also Elliot but he is in the air right now. CMC has the least red flags out of anyone but Barkley is tempting for the fun of owning him alone. 

Personally I would take Barkley is I have the first.  Was just stating all the talk of Cam vulturing the goal line work has been overstated.  Car clearly went away from that last year and I don't see them changing back.  Would make no sense for them to risk their franchise QB when they have a guy like CMC now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, youngrice said:

Personally I would take Barkley is I have the first.  Was just stating all the talk of Cam vulturing the goal line work has been overstated.  Car clearly went away from that last year and I don't see them changing back.  Would make no sense for them to risk their franchise QB when they have a guy like CMC now.

It's 100% overstated. That being said, a big reason they went away from it is because Cam really couldn't do it. Old habits die hard. Cam loves those rushing TDs. Dude is the Westbrook of the NFL. While I don't think the vulturing will be nearly as bad as it was earlier in Cams career, it also won't be as low as it was the second half of the season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Gohawks said:

It's 100% overstated. That being said, a big reason they went away from it is because Cam really couldn't do it. Old habits die hard. Cam loves those rushing TDs. Dude is the Westbrook of the NFL. While I don't think the vulturing will be nearly as bad as it was earlier in Cams career, it also won't be as low as it was the second half of the season.

You might be right and maybe it was injuries.  But in years past they were called runs for Cam inside the 5.  I don't have any exact stats and it possible Cam just got tackled before he got in the end zone.  But I don't remember Car calling designed runs for Cam like they did in years passed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

guess everyone is trying to reserve a name on classic WoW or in the DWill thread .. 

 

 

3) Finding a backup RB is a focus, with Jordan Scarlett, Reggie Bonnafon and Cameron Artis-Payne vying for the job. The hope is they can take some of the mileage -- but not touches -- off Christian McCaffrey. Ideally, they'd delegate a lot of his short-yardage and goal-line work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is b.s.  I can see short yardage work if they need a yard or 2 to get the first down but goal-line work?  That would really suck.

Edited by sjm76

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I drafted McCaffrey in 2 leagues where I picked in the top 3 and he should still be fine but he will likely be doing a lot of the dirty work between the 20's so they should let him punch it in, too.  Use the other backs to give him a breather in other short yardage situations.

The top 3 picks now also all have question marks.  I haven't read anything about the Giants using anyone to steal Saquon's goal-line carries but that could be next. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s all coach speak. They have no one behind him capable. Top 4 pick with really the least amount of controversy. Move along here. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ryansm11 said:

It’s all coach speak. They have no one behind him capable. Top 4 pick with really the least amount of controversy. Move along here. 

 

This seems like controversy to me. 

 

He already contends with Cam. If they pulled him for one of those other losers that would be heart breaking. 

 

I couldn't see it lasting too long though. He's so much better than the rest of his teammates, but it'd definitely make it a slower starting season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, JSA2422 said:

guess everyone is trying to reserve a name on classic WoW or in the DWill thread .. 

 

 

3) Finding a backup RB is a focus, with Jordan Scarlett, Reggie Bonnafon and Cameron Artis-Payne vying for the job. The hope is they can take some of the mileage -- but not touches -- off Christian McCaffrey. Ideally, they'd delegate a lot of his short-yardage and goal-line work.

Did he just pull this out of thin air? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.