joebaker23

James Conner 2019 Outlook

2 hours ago, Chwf3rd said:

What are some good trade targets for him?

1 hour ago, liyy1 said:

What do we think about Ingram?

If you can get Ingram for him take it and RUN. 

His trade value is significantly lower IMO. He's already a bust, that has been determined. There's no upside here, his backup just had a monster game, and he's already been hurt twice. Oh and the offense is pitiful. I wouldn't go near him. 

• Haha 1

Not a doctor but I think they have just pre tempted a limited schedule most of the week and don't want it to be an issue that they're constantly being asked questions on. 

He did have a tough schedule, things are looking brighter from here on. He got me 26ish points this week, I’m happy with that. Didn’t win the week but I got close thanks to him. If he keeps getting those dump offs he could be pretty decent in PPR, even with Samuels mixed in. I wouldn’t call him a bust just yet. I definitely wouldn’t trade him for peanuts. Just my 2 cents. 

2 hours ago, BGDDYKWL said:

If you can get Ingram for him take it and RUN. 

His trade value is significantly lower IMO. He's already a bust, that has been determined. There's no upside here, his backup just had a monster game, and he's already been hurt twice. Oh and the offense is pitiful. I wouldn't go near him. 

No upside? He was just the RB6 with over 26 points in PPR. He won’t return his original draft value for all the reasons listed, but he’s still a strong RB2 who can win you a week in favorable matchups. He has a nice schedule after the Week 8 bye. I’ve been sending out trades involving him, but I’m not quite on suicide watch.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, eg4190 said:

No upside? He was just the RB6 with over 26 points in PPR. He won’t return his original draft value for all the reasons listed, but he’s still a strong RB2 who can win you a week in favorable matchups. He has a nice schedule after the Week 8 bye. I’ve been sending out trades involving him, but I’m not quite on suicide watch.

It was a team who is trying their best to rival the Dolphins. And Samuels was nearly the more productive back. Not to mention his TD was somewhat flukey in that it's not a play he'll score on the rest of the year. Samuels got the GL TD. And he's been hurt twice in 4 games. 

Edited by BGDDYKWL

I am quite down on Conner but there is perhaps a slight overreaction to the split carries. There is no doubt Samuels will have more involvement but a lot of his runs were out of the wildcat formation which just isn’t sustainable.

Conner will still be the lead back and I highly doubt it would turn into anything close to a 50/50 split.

My main concern with Conner is a combination of the Pitt offense as a whole being predictable/sluggish and Conner not having the the x-factor required to break through that and score consistently. But he’ll still have plenty of opportunities. I’m just worried he can’t make the most of them like last year.

10 minutes ago, Vegemite2 said:

I am quite down on Conner but there is perhaps a slight overreaction to the split carries. There is no doubt Samuels will have more involvement but a lot of his runs were out of the wildcat formation which just isn’t sustainable.

Conner will still be the lead back and I highly doubt it would turn into anything close to a 50/50 split.

My main concern with Conner is a combination of the Pitt offense as a whole being predictable/sluggish and Conner not having the the x-factor required to break through that and score consistently. But he’ll still have plenty of opportunities. I’m just worried he can’t make the most of them like last year.

Jaylen split the pass catching duty though. I think Pitts are just worried about Conner injuries dating back to last season 

47 minutes ago, babyfaceassasin said:

Jaylen split the pass catching duty though. I think Pitts are just worried about Conner injuries dating back to last season 

Didnt he only have a high ankle sprain last year?

Its not like hes Gurley. 

Just now, babyfaceassasin said:

He also had a concussion 

Did he miss any games for the concussion?

Hes a RB, I wouldn't consider an ankle sprain and one concussion an injury history anywhere near being extensive enough for coaches to manage his availability.

53 minutes ago, SuperJoint said:

so what. he said that last time, and then a time-share ensured. 

He's coming up lame every week. At some point he's riding pine.

Lol ok. Just updating with recent news. Relax. 

4 hours ago, BGDDYKWL said:

And Samuels was nearly the more productive back.

Wrong.

Conner:  18 touches / 125 yards

Samuels:  18 touches / 83 yards

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Nap Time said:

Wrong.

Conner:  18 touches / 125 yards

Samuels:  18 touches / 83 yards

Samuels went from zero touches a week ago to Conner outscoring him by 3 points. I didn't say Samuels was the more productive back, I said nearly. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BGDDYKWL said:

Samuels went from zero touches a week ago to Conner outscoring him by 3 points. I didn't say Samuels was the more productive back, I said nearly. 

Yes they surprised the Bengals with the wildcat.  This isn't the NFL 10 years ago where nobody has seen the wildcat for years.  Even then it only worked for around 4 games for the dolphins with Ronnie Brown.  Teams will adjust and Samuels usage will go back to normal.

• Thanks 1

It's hard to read into how Samuels will be used from here on. Cinci has a terrible run defense, so it was to be expected that Conner (and Samuels) would shine. If Conner had laid a dud, then it would be time to sound the alarm, but he didn't. He's battling a poor offensive situation this year, but if you're in PPR, he's still a starter. You need to own Samuels though because James seems to be injury prone. If he does down, Samuels will be a solid RB in his own right in PPR. 

48 minutes ago, theantishere said:

Say there's a time share with Samuels....is Conner still playable weekly as at least a flex?

Worry about it when there's an actual timeshare. The odds of them winning a game by 24 because of the Wildcat this week? Pretty slim.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

Worry about it when there's an actual timeshare. The odds of them winning a game by 24 because of the Wildcat this week? Pretty slim.

Well sure, you don't worry about until it becomes a thing, but I'm wondering if I should play the odds and attempt a 2 for 1 getting a somewhat better player in a better situation. Of course if a timeshare never happens I could end up losing a potential trade, which is why I wonder if I just stay put, and in a worst case scenario, would Conner still at least be startable. 

2 minutes ago, theantishere said:

Well sure, you don't worry about until it becomes a thing, but I'm wondering if I should play the odds and attempt a 2 for 1 getting a somewhat better player in a better situation. Of course if a timeshare never happens I could end up losing a potential trade, which is why I wonder if I just stay put, and in a worst case scenario, would Conner still at least be startable. 

I don't care if this sounds cocky. I imagine this is immensely helpful.

I own both.

I am starting Conner this week.

I've also offered Conner to half the teams in my league.

Do what you will with that information.

1 hour ago, theantishere said:

Say there's a time share with Samuels....is Conner still playable weekly as at least a flex?

Absolutely. If Conner's healthy I'd still expect 20 touches. He's still gonna be a huge bust, but that volume is startable. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BGDDYKWL said:

Absolutely. If Conner's healthy I'd still expect 20 touches. He's still gonna be a huge bust, but that volume is startable. 

That's true. Particularly in ppr with Rudolph dumping off 10+ passes a game, I can see Conner still being an asset. 

• Like 1