joebaker23

James Conner 2019 Outlook

Him and Matt Breida must be related or something. Never seen running backs have to play through so many nagging injuries. Or maybe their pain tolerance is low? Top picks for the all pro hospital league.

1 minute ago, WaiverLooter said:

Him and Matt Breida must be related or something. Never seen running backs have to play through so many nagging injuries. Or maybe their pain tolerance is low? Top picks for the all pro hospital league.

meh. 

Conner's a true workhorse/bellcow when healthy ... Breida's barely getting 10 touches per.  

so, one is a bit more understandable, as it were. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

a rested and healed Conner is what we need here - looks like we gonna get it 👍

... and now for the really good part - two games vs the Brownies last year -

week one: 

31/135/2, 5/57/0

of note in that opener, he was absolutely mauling them ... Stillers were comfortably up a couple scores, then ... Garret strips JC deep in Stillers territory, the Brownies capitalize, then ride that momentum to eventually send the mutha into OT, game ended 21-21. 

was a remarkably bittersweet gig for Conner ... the much anticipated workhorse role in the heat of the Bell holdout controversy ... JC delivered like a frickin' boss, silenced all the doubters ... he looked every bit the part - but he was visibly gassed by the 4th, and that very critical fumble fueled the Cleveland/Tyrod (remember him?) comeback. 

so, as dominant as he was, he had to yoke the blame for being the impetus for yet anuddah Stillers underwhelming performance as heavy favorites (hallmark of the Teflon Tomlin era, don'tcha know).

game 2, in week eight:

24/146/2, 5/66/0

Stillers crooooooze, 33-18.

now we talikin' ... note that at this point the Brownies had gone full Chubb, and the Baker era was upon us ... so a closer barometer of tomorrow night's festivities.   

anyways, this was the hallmark performance that helped cement him as the overall rb #3 as we hit the midseason clubhouse ... he was fresh off a bye and beastly.   had LEEG WINNAH!!!1!!!1! stamped all over him - we definitely got the steal of the century, amirite?

flash to the next week @RatBoids ... he goes 24/107/0, 7/56/1 in a Stillers road win. 

then that was it.  he wouldn't eclipse 100 total yards in a game for the balance of the season ... nagging injuries, missed the Pats game (where Samuels went off), etc. 

what a hell of a fizzle out. 

so, who knows, maybe we get the reverse this year?  first half beset by nagging ouchies, but a beastly/healthy finish? 

tl;dr - two games vs Cleveland last year: 31/135/2, 5/57/0 - 24/146/2, 5/66/0.

but Ben...

2 minutes ago, larfboy said:

but Ben...

... yeah - and AB, and an emerging/dynamic JuJu, as well. 

no one said last year's results were a harbinger, was just reflecting on what the ride was like last year with JC, especially in the two Brownie games, seeing as how the opener ushered him in as the bellcow stud, while the latter (week 8) was really his last heavy touch count.

Completely off the injury report is a great sign. Little hard to believe if you ask me, but you have to take them at their word I guess. I'll be fully convinced if he finishes the game without issue. That said still obviously starting him. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, WayneFontes said:

Will play. 

pretty bold statement, seeing as how he is not even listed on the injury report ... you always go out on these kinda limbs?

🤔

• Haha 3

So did the Steelers think too little of the Rams, or did they think too much of Samuels? Because if Conner is practicing fully today, that would imply he could have gutted it out on Sunday.

They wouldn’t have kept him out unless they were confident they could win without him. They were right, of course, but it seems like a risky move.

I hope that he can get at least 15 carries tomorrow with 4-5 catches out of the backfield.

1 hour ago, BGDDYKWL said:

Your gifs really add a lot of value to the discussion. It's not hard to believe a guy completely ruled out Friday/Saturday has zero injury designation and is completely 100% a mere 4 days later? 

I understand this but ultimately it explains WHY he was ruled out last week - to have him ready for this divisional game. 

Lets just prey Pitt coaches have gotten smart enough not to risk him for injury in the last 2 min when the game is decided.

• Like 1

The team should be fined for not listing him on the injury report. I think he aggravated it on that first carry for -1 yards.

• Like 3

I noticed samuels was the most dropped player on yahoo yesterday. Unfortunate. Lots of 2nd time waiver usage

• Like 1

I was really hoping I was wrong but the complete lack of injury designation was very hard to believe. They'll surely get in trouble by the league but it's just an unfortunate situation all around. I don't know why you rush a guy back who seems to always get dinged up even when he's 100%. 

Problem now is he's unstartable for as long as he's shelved, plus his first game back. 

48 minutes ago, BGDDYKWL said:

I was really hoping I was wrong but the complete lack of injury designation was very hard to believe. They'll surely get in trouble by the league but it's just an unfortunate situation all around. I don't know why you rush a guy back who seems to always get dinged up even when he's 100%. 

Problem now is he's unstartable for as long as he's shelved, plus his first game back. 

Jesus wish you were.  Between him and Juju might of just finished my season.  F me

3 hours ago, eg4190 said:

The team should be fined for not listing him on the injury report. I think he aggravated it on that first carry for -1 yards.

they'll definitely be fined, especially with Tomlin having done this before and all the scrutiny that will be paid to those 2 teams from the league office over the next week.

15 minutes ago, axiom20XX said:

Melvin Gordon.

Derrick Henry...

In my deepest fantasies.